1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Switching to a baitcast

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by MAIZEandBLUE09, Nov 17, 2016.

1. MAIZEandBLUE09

MAIZEandBLUE09 Well-Known, and Feared, Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Yes, typically they're right handed (meaning the reel is on the right). No idea why this is but it's just been that way for ages. Only recently have the "left handed" models become popular. Mostly because right handed people have started to realize it makes more sense to hold the pole with your dominant hand and reel with the left. No need to switch hands then.

The big baitcasters are a bit different in terms of settings than the bass baitcasters. The bass baitcasters basically have two settings to adjust. One for the spool and then one for the braking system to prevent backlashes. Some people adjust both, or just one, depending on the weight of the lure. I just leave them open as much as possible and use my thumb to prevent the backlashes.

2. Bridgeburner

Bridgeburner LIGHT YOUR BONFIRES

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

Just busted my caster out and cleaned it up. Only has one setting, then spool knob. No magnetics or anything to help with backlash. It's the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6501 C3. Still smooth as silk 15 years later or however old it is.

3. MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

That's because that's a more traditional baitcaster and not one of the bass fishing baitcasters like this:

[​IMG]

The one you have is more traditionally used for things like trolling and not really for casting -- so they don't come with the braking systems used to prevent backlashes.

4. Bridgeburner

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

The 6500 series was a popular model for muskie back around 2000. I didn't even know about the magnetics etc. I had it spooled with like 50lb braid or something for the toothy critters. Stripped that off, cleaned it up, and I'm probably going to throw some 15lb mono on it (at least for now) and take it for a spin this weekend. Might not be ideal (the reel is probably a little big for bass) but the rod was actually on the lighter end for muskie so it should work. I'm thinking it might end up working moderately well general fishing. I target bass but hook into all sorts of things (cats, walleye, pike, muskie).

If I went with something smaller (and I might) I'd probably still stick with a round caster without the magnets etc. I'm just used to it and not sure I need anything else.

5. potzer25

potzer25 The most eubillicant poster.

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I love my St Croix Triumph spinning rod that I got for backpacking!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Bridgeburner

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

Wound on some 15# Big Game and took the baitcaster out on the Kiski River this weekend. I'm now a big fan of a MH-fast rod for bass. Really nice response on the presentation. Had the spool knob backed out almost completely and just feathered the line with my thumb. No nesting but a few times I did notice the line was "less than perfect" and I pulled some off and re-wound it. Really worked great though. Probably what I'm going to stick with now. Caught a few bass. Two little ones (7"-9") and a nice one (17").

Had my son give it a try a few times and he had some problems. But it was his first time with a baitcaster so all in all he did pretty well.

I need to buy another boat. Not sure I can sell the wife on it though.

7. Bridgeburner

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

Anywho...

That setup I have been running (Abu Garcia Ambassaduer 6500) was getting a little heavy and I started eyeballing the whole "low profile" casters. Honestly the 6500 is probably best suited for Muskie/Cat anyway. Was checking them out at Academy and noticed the cheapo Abu Black Max 3. Figured what the hell. Lets go cheap and see how they handle before I mortgage the house on a Revo MGX. So I grab a BMAX3-L and start looking for a St. Croix to pair it with. Started thinking that's kind of silly. $40 reel and $250 rod. Decided to just go total bargain bin and ordered a 7' MH Berkley Lightening Rod. I've got like $80 into it. Probably the least I've ever spent on a rod/reel. We'll see how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I'm sure that will be fine. When you pay more for the low-profile reels you're just paying for better braking systems and the ability to cast a little longer. But the cheaper ones seem to work fine so you should be able to get a good feel for it.

9. Bridgeburner

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

Most likely it will be fine. That doesn't mean my snobbery won't force me to get a "more respected model" down the line though hahaha. I'm pretty much a Abu Garcia/Shimano guy for reels and a St. Croix guy for rods. There seem to be A LOT of nice rods out there now though. 15-20 years ago (the last time I was really obsessed with fishing) there didn't seem to be half the options there are now. But then again, the internet wasn't what it is now back then either. I pretty much relied on Cabelas and local shops back in the day.

Really getting back into fishing. Been going 2-3 times a week and I'm REALLY trying to figure out a way I can sell the wife on buying another boat.