• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Switching to a baitcast

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but I did at one point in my life have $180
lol. I hear ya, but everytime I'm in the store with 180 bones, I end up with a combo or building my own combo instead of just getting one rod or one reel. It's hard for me to justify getting a rod OR reel when I can compromise a little and get both.

I also believe in "you get what you pay for."

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. I hear ya, but everytime I'm in the store with 180 bones, I end up with a combo or building my own combo instead of just getting one rod or one reel. It's hard for me to justify getting a rod OR reel when I can compromise a little and get both.

I also believe in "you get what you pay for."
Absolutely. St. Croix's warranty program is amazing. I'v wanted to buy a Shimano Stradic for a few years now and keep holding off. As I'm sure you know, some combos out there are pretty damn good, especially Pflueger ones and Daiwa ones.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. St. Croix's warranty program is amazing. I'v wanted to buy a Shimano Stradic for a few years now and keep holding off. As I'm sure you know, some combos out there are pretty damn good, especially Pflueger ones and Daiwa ones.
Pflueger is my "go to." If it were a car it would be my every day driver. Well built and dependable as hell. For the money, they are hard to beat.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pflueger is my "go to." If it were a car it would be my every day driver. Well built and dependable as hell. For the money, they are hard to beat.
I have a President spinning reel by Pflueger. Great reel. Only con in my opinion is the small wooden handle. I like the "power handles" Shimano and Daiwa have been using as of late.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a President spinning reel by Pflueger. Great reel. Only con in my opinion is the small wooden handle. I like the "power handles" Shimano and Daiwa have been using as of late.
Yep, I would agree with that. I love those big handles on the shimanos.

I have a couple of ultra-light Plflueger reels for crappie fishing. I have had them for over ten years and they still work great. I do tear them down a couple times a year and clean, lube, and grease them though.

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
One of the better video's explaining a baitcaster setup and casting procedure

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I would agree with that. I love those big handles on the shimanos.

I have a couple of ultra-light Plflueger reels for crappie fishing. I have had them for over ten years and they still work great. I do tear them down a couple times a year and clean, lube, and grease them though.
The only reason to have a giant handle is to skip bass across the top of water imo. I'd rather have the standard handle that's not as bulky. I salmon/steelhead fish more than panfish tho

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to get a St. Croix Avid with a lifetime warranty.
My brother has a few of those rods, they're nice. My big thing is I like two piece rods so they'll fit in my car without folding down the seat. They don't really offer many options in that realm. I like medium rods with a fast action, two piece and 6'6''. (which isn't made by St. Croix). So far I'm really happy with the quality of this Bass Pro rod. I'll reserve full judgement until I actually use it a few times but in test casting it seems to have some pretty good sensitivity to it. I'm pretty dang excited to get out and fish this spring. I also just got a new bag as well from Cabelas that holds 8 boxes inside, so I'll be able to take all my tackle with me.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This rod/reel combo was pretty expensive at $250, but it's about $300 worth of gear. I can't really justify going above that for a combo because ultimately I'll break it or what something else and then I don't feel like I have to baby it. If I spent $500 on a reel and $300+ on a rod, I don't know if I could ever take it out lol.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This rod/reel combo was pretty expensive at $250, but it's about $300 worth of gear. I can't really justify going above that for a combo because ultimately I'll break it or what something else and then I don't feel like I have to baby it. If I spent $500 on a reel and $300+ on a rod, I don't know if I could ever take it out lol.
Sounds like a premium combo. I'd imagine something at that price would have its own warranty of at least 5-7 years.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I switched to bait casters for my catfishing gear several years ago. I use the Abu Garcia Ambassador reels. The important thing is getting the magnetic drag adjusted properly, then practice a little bit. It took me all of about 5 minutes to get the hang of it. I don't remember the last time I had a bird nest.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is wrong with you!?
Not my kind of fishing. For one, it's cold out but the biggest thing is that you're just sitting there waiting for something to bite. You're hoping one of your little flags pops up, I need to be casting or something I have a hard time just sitting there hoping for a bite.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my kind of fishing. For one, it's cold out but the biggest thing is that you're just sitting there waiting for something to bite. You're hoping one of your little flags pops up, I need to be casting or something I have a hard time just sitting there hoping for a bite.

Yerdoinitwrong.

Electronics and mobility are essential to successful ice fishing.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yerdoinitwrong.

Electronics and mobility are essential to successful ice fishing.
It's funny because I own all the gear to go, outside of a shanty, but it just doesn't interest me like normal fishing does. It's still not the same as trolling a shoreline and casting at the bank. Even with the modern equipment (which admittedly came about since the last time I went ice fishing) there's always an element of sitting around and waiting for a bite out of multiple holes.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is wrong with you!?
I was also just thinking, we haven't had fishable ice yet this season. Maybe for like 2-3 weeks in early to mid december but it's been too warm otherwise. There's just like a half inch of ice over most bodies of water, and most lakes have some open water on them still down here in SE michigan. So I'm really stuck. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't.

fullxtension

Sensei
Hoopla Cash
$ 21,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad gave me some of my grandpa's old rods...and they are for ocean fishing. Nevermind trying to fit them in the car...you can't feel nibbles worth anything and when yank on it the fish goes flying. #sizemattersinreverse