• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SUV Choice

Type of SUV??

• 4-Runner

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Rogue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Explorer

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Audi Q7

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Traverse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CR V

• Other

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Pathfinder

• Total voters

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Subaru site is now saying 87 Octane. Reviews at Car and Driver listed it as needing Premium Gas. At this point I would say check with a dealer or write Subaru of America, I sent them an email about upgrading 12 the 12 speaker Harmon Kardon stereo and it was not an option. Oddly enough there is an option for a Rockford Fosgate upgrade.

I'm a Chevron 94 octane man myself. No ethanol, just pure fossil fuel goodness. I get better mileage than 91 as well since it's all gas and not corrupted with ethanol.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Subaru site is now saying 87 Octane. Reviews at Car and Driver listed it as needing Premium Gas. At this point I would say check with a dealer or write Subaru of America, I sent them an email about upgrading 12 the 12 speaker Harmon Kardon stereo and it was not an option. Oddly enough there is an option for a Rockford Fosgate upgrade.
Was just involved in a discussion about the Ascent on a car forum and a poster said that his Subaru dealer was very emphatic about the new 2.4l DIT being OK with 87 as opposed to the 2.0l FA20DIT (like in my Forester) really needing 91-93. My owner's manual says that 87 can be used in a pinch and will not damage anything, but that the car will not run very well on it.
With the arrival of the Ascent, the turbo option for the Forester has been discontinued and I'd assume this is to push buyers to the more expensive vehicle. I have to assume that the 2.4l turbo will eventually end up in the WRX STI (which still has an old PFI 2.5l turbo) and I really hope that Subaru hasn't truly given up on turbo Foresters...
The published power numbers for the 2.4l turbo are really not too impressive when you look at what the smaller FA20DIT can do, but that might reflect 87 octane performance and it would probably do better on premium if that is the case.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was just involved in a discussion about the Ascent on a car forum and a poster said that his Subaru dealer was very emphatic about the new 2.4l DIT being OK with 87 as opposed to the 2.0l FA20DIT (like in my Forester) really needing 91-93. My owner's manual says that 87 can be used in a pinch and will not damage anything, but that the car will not run very well on it.
With the arrival of the Ascent, the turbo option for the Forester has been discontinued and I'd assume this is to push buyers to the more expensive vehicle. I have to assume that the 2.4l turbo will eventually end up in the WRX STI (which still has an old PFI 2.5l turbo) and I really hope that Subaru hasn't truly given up on turbo Foresters...
The published power numbers for the 2.4l turbo are really not too impressive when you look at what the smaller FA20DIT can do, but that might reflect 87 octane performance and it would probably do better on premium if that is the case.

Not sure what the FA20DIT is? Direct Inject Turbo? Was he implying the Ascent would run fine on the 87 Octane? As for the published power numbers not sure what anyone would be looking for, it's a people hauler not a WRX STI. I did however read it felt a little slow when accelerating at Highway speeds but was okay at the light. But again it's a Mid Size SUV is anyone really all that concerned with how fast it accelerates at Hwy speed? I sure aint!

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the FA20DIT is? Direct Inject Turbo? Was he implying the Ascent would run fine on the 87 Octane? As for the published power numbers not sure what anyone would be looking for, it's a people hauler not a WRX STI. I did however read it felt a little slow when accelerating at Highway speeds but was okay at the light. But again it's a Mid Size SUV is anyone really all that concerned with how fast it accelerates at Hwy speed? I sure aint!
Yeah, DIT is Direct Injection Turbo and the FA20DIT is the 2.0l in the WRX and the Forester XT (not produced as of the 2019 model year).
The Subaru dealer was claiming the new 2.4l turbo in the Ascent was designed from the start for 87 octane as opposed to the older 2.0l DIT.
IDK, I'm not going to buy anything that doesn't hustle along reasonably well and the new Pilot is supposed to be quite quick...I'd bet that there would be a noticeable boost in performance running an Ascent on premium, but I doubt that Subaru is going to advertise that.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, DIT is Direct Injection Turbo and the FA20DIT is the 2.0l in the WRX and the Forester XT (not produced as of the 2019 model year).
The Subaru dealer was claiming the new 2.4l turbo in the Ascent was designed from the start for 87 octane as opposed to the older 2.0l DIT.
IDK, I'm not going to buy anything that doesn't hustle along reasonably well and the new Pilot is supposed to be quite quick...I'd bet that there would be a noticeable boost in performance running an Ascent on premium, but I doubt that Subaru is going to advertise that.
I too am looking at the Pilot and the Highlander of the two I know the Highlander has a better ride and the V6 gets better gas mileage then the 4 Banger. Now if they offered that 2.4 DIT in the Outback I would have to take a long hard look at that. For the most part it's the wife and I an we travel and like space which is why I like the SUVs mentioned. A distant 4th is but not distant is the Odyssey

If I still lived in NH I would most assuredly got with the RU, not sure I am all that concerned with AWD in FLA.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2019 Chevrolet Blazer: it's back, but it won't fight the Bronco

2019-chevrolet-blazer_100655743_m.jpg

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife is driving me batshit crazy shopping for a smaller suv for her. She doesn't want something that looks like a crossover. In her warped mind, everything I have found and suggested looks like a fucking crossover. Today I told her that I'm done helping. She can find her own damn vehicle.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife is driving me batshit crazy shopping for a smaller suv for her. She doesn't want something that looks like a crossover. In her warped mind, everything I have found and suggested looks like a fucking crossover. Today I told her that I'm done helping. She can find her own damn vehicle.

I stopped and looked at Toyota shit on Sat. Did you know they make the worst cars and trucks on Earth? I didn't know that until I visited.

Their trucks get the worst mileage, have the worst towing, the loudest interior and they rust very easily now.

The SUVs, like the 4Runner I test drove, get a laughable 20 mpg and are slow. The interior is all clunky plastic shit and the ride was loud and primitive. All that for only $43,000?
It looked kinda' rugged though. ?

People are crazy. I can't believe all these people buying Toyotas even though they obviously suck.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped and looked at Toyota shit on Sat. Did you know they make the worst cars and trucks on Earth? I didn't know that until I visited.

Their trucks get the worst mileage, have the worst towing, the loudest interior and they rust very easily now.

The SUVs, like the 4Runner I test drove, get a laughable 20 mpg and are slow. The interior is all clunky plastic shit and the ride was loud and primitive. All that for only $43,000?
It looked kinda' rugged though. ?

People are crazy. I can't believe all these people buying Toyotas even though they obviously suck.
The only Toyota I would ever own would be a Camry. I've never known anyone who didn't love theirs.
That being said, if I'm gonna buy a car, it's gonna be a big ass Stinkin' Lincoln or a big ol' Caddy. I'm a big dude and I'd want something to road trip in that I can stretch out and get comfy in. I'm not concerned with gas mileage.

If it ain't one of those two cars I'll just keep driving my truck.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I'd look at that Blazer with the V6. Probably the turbo Equinox, too. I have some dirt roads around me, they're the toughest terrain I deal with...winters are really tough here and I need to climb a wicked steep hill to get home, so some kind of AWD/4WD is a must in my book. One of the first few winters after we bought our house, I got close to home after an arduous drive during a really bad storm and was laboring up the hill in my Outback only to encounter a limo coming down it backwards. I executed a really smooth reverse into somebody's driveway that I'm sure I couldn't have pulled off if I had had any time to think, didn't hear anything horrible after that so I assume the limo didn't wreck.

I just saw recently that the Cherokee is now offered with a 2.0l turbo, test drove the V6 right after the model was reintroduced and was distinctly unimpressed after I had myself talked into loving it just based on the writeup. The new engine will still be matched with the 9 speed auto that has developed a pretty bad reputation, though, and the 0-60 results I have seen for the turbo Cherokee are still unimpressive despite good raw power numbers.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I'd look at that Blazer with the V6. Probably the turbo Equinox, too. I have some dirt roads around me, they're the toughest terrain I deal with...winters are really tough here and I need to climb a wicked steep hill to get home, so some kind of AWD/4WD is a must in my book. One of the first few winters after we bought our house, I got close to home after an arduous drive during a really bad storm and was laboring up the hill in my Outback only to encounter a limo coming down it backwards. I executed a really smooth reverse into somebody's driveway that I'm sure I couldn't have pulled off if I had had any time to think, didn't hear anything horrible after that so I assume the limo didn't wreck.

I just saw recently that the Cherokee is now offered with a 2.0l turbo, test drove the V6 right after the model was reintroduced and was distinctly unimpressed after I had myself talked into loving it just based on the writeup. The new engine will still be matched with the 9 speed auto that has developed a pretty bad reputation, though, and the 0-60 results I have seen for the turbo Cherokee are still unimpressive despite good raw power numbers.
I'd be very leary about buying a some small displacement turbo charged SUV.
So far the only one's who seem to have a 9 speed dialed in is a ZF made transmission MBZ uses.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be very leary about buying a some small displacement turbo charged SUV.
So far the only one's who seem to have a 9 speed dialed in is a ZF made transmission MBZ uses.

The 2l turbo in my '14 FXT has been good for ~86000 miles, it's the CVT that has me worried. Already had work done on it under warranty at 80k (Subaru extended me to 100k for the tranny) and I found out that the CVT had a filter added sometime during the '15 model year that cannot be retrofitted. The CVT is also responsible for the slight lag I get off the line, the '15+ WRX with the same engine and a manual doesn't have the lag and that same car with a slightly different CVT has less of a lag. Helps a lot to turn the traction control off and let the car roll just a bit before taking off, but the real solution is supposed to be to brake boost and I'm not interested in that with a car I want to drive every day for many years.

I miss the way my '06 RAV6 jumped off the line, but the FXT eats its lunch in every other way. I have a stop at the bottom of a big hill just out of my neighborhood and then turn left up another big hill, the RAV6's pretty crummy 5 speed auto always lost its mind getting up that second hill and frustrated me while the FXT just flows right up with little effort...unless I totally stomp on it, it just ups the boost and keeps the revs pretty low while still picking up speed quite nicely.

Keeping my fingers crossed on the FXT's tranny...I hope they can put one with the filter in if the original just craps the bed at some point.
Maybe it's me, the Toyota needed a $3500 tranny repair right after the warranty expired...??? The indy shop that did the work told me the crude AWD system in that RAV6 was at fault, though.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new big Wrangler is supposed to be MUCH quieter and better driving on the highway compared to 2017 and before. So, I might give it a look.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picked up one of these tonight. With kid #3 on the way we needed something with a third row and bucket seats. It's as roomy in the driver's seat as my Ram.

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picked up one of these tonight. With kid #3 on the way we needed something with a third row and bucket seats. It's as roomy in the driver's seat as my Ram.

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Is that a Chevy Traverse? Those are quite a value. That and the VW Atlas are the two best deals for an inexpensive, 3-row SUV I think.

I'm hoping wifey wants one of those instead of a $60k choice.