• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: SUPERBOWL SUNDAY

Whose your pick today?

• Patriots

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Eagles

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • Refs

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it's a still pic that was posted. Stopping the video reveals that Gronk got slammed well before the ball arrived.

As I stated, I know that is almost never called on a hail mary.

I see 7 guys going for the ball and it contacting McLeod first. After that PI is meaningless.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see 7 guys going for the ball and it contacting McLeod first. After that PI is meaningless.

Somebody said (I didn't see it) that Hogan got absolutely jacked up (worse than cooks) running down the field. Did anybody hear/see anything about that.

Again, I'm not saying it should have been called, would have changed the game, etc.... Just asking

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody said (I didn't see it) that Hogan got absolutely jacked up (worse than cooks) running down the field. Did anybody hear/see anything about that.

Again, I'm not saying it should have been called, would have changed the game, etc.... Just asking

replay showed Brady then the ball coming out of the sky. I didn't see much in between or any angle that showed that.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it's a still pic that was posted. Stopping the video reveals that Gronk got slammed well before the ball arrived.

As I stated, I know that is almost never called on a hail mary.
Six players were jumping for the ball, five of which were Eagles. Gronk was contacted after the ball was touched. It's not even close. To even make that argument is just sour grapes silly.

90% of Hail-Mary's have worse contact on the offensive receiver than that.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
replay showed Brady then the ball coming out of the sky. I didn't see much in between or any angle that showed that.

Ok... It got me curious so I googled it.

LOOK: Refs appear to miss pass interference call on Super Bowl Hail Mary

Third video down. Again, I'm not saying it should have been called, would have changed anything, etc. I was more interested in seeing how big of a hit it was. To me that hit isn't anywhere near the hit Cooks took but if you look at the comments on that video they made it sound like hogan took a "big shot". He didn't.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Third video down. Again, I'm not saying it should have been called, would have changed anything, etc. I was more interested in seeing how big of a hit it was. To me that hit isn't anywhere near the hit Cooks took but if you look at the comments on that video they made it sound like hogan took a "big shot". He didn't.
That is the only argument in which case they would have had another hail mary attempt 5 yards closer.

NEhomer was saying it was PI on Gronk which would have been 1st and goal from the 1. Even in that situation they still need to score and get a 2 point conversion.

I know you are not making a case for PI or claiming the refs screwed up and nobody else should even bring it up. Considering officiating this year, that was a pretty well called game.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thats a 5 yard penalty for illegal contact. These guys can't get their penalties straight. And the one guy called the Ertz TD incomplete.

I'm pretty sure the Eagles players could have tackled and held down every receiver on the Pats and the refs weren't throwing a flag on that play.

An Eagles fan ate horse shit after they WON... could you imagine what that dude would do to the ref that threw a flag on that play?

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the only argument in which case they would have had another hail mary attempt 5 yards closer.

NEhomer was saying it was PI on Gronk which would have been 1st and goal from the 1. Even in that situation they still need to score and get a 2 point conversion.

I know you are not making a case for PI or claiming the refs screwed up and nobody else should even bring it up. Considering officiating this year, that was a pretty well called game.

Dude, I couldn't agree more. That was a great game and the team that executed better won. I hated even bringing it up... Really. I didn't want it to be twisted into "they blew a call". Honestly, I had just heard words like "hogan got jacked up", "hogan got crushed", etc. When I first heard it I didn't even go look it up.

However, since we were talking about PI on the last play I just asked if anyone else had heard it. Again, I was curious ONLY about the severity of the hit. It wasn't severe. Also, I agree it's not PI. At best it was illegal contact. 5 yard penalty... If that.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I couldn't agree more. That was a great game and the team that executed better won. I hated even bringing it up... Really. I didn't want it to be twisted into "they blew a call". Honestly, I had just heard words like "hogan got jacked up", "hogan got crushed", etc. When I first heard it I didn't even go look it up.

However, since we were talking about PI on the last play I just asked if anyone else had heard it. Again, I was curious ONLY about the severity of the hit. It wasn't severe. Also, I agree it's not PI. At best it was illegal contact. 5 yard penalty... If that.

I saw your post as informational... not trying to debate the outcome.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats a 5 yard penalty for illegal contact. These guys can't get their penalties straight. And the one guy called the Ertz TD incomplete.

I'm pretty sure the Eagles players could have tackled and held down every receiver on the Pats and the refs weren't throwing a flag on that play.

An Eagles fan ate horse shit after they WON... could you imagine what that dude would do to the ref that threw a flag on that play?

Again, I'm starting to regret bringing it up. I was only asking bc I had heard the hit was severe. It wasn't. I agree... At best it's illegal contact. It's never called. I'm not saying it should have been called here.

Eagles played better... Deserved to win. The Ertz call was 100% the correct call. He had become a runner at that point. All he had to do is break the plane.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I'm starting to regret bringing it up. I was only asking bc I had heard the hit was severe. It wasn't. I agree... At best it's illegal contact. It's never called. I'm not saying it should have been called here.

Eagles played better... Deserved to win. The Ertz call was 100% the correct call. He had become a runner at that point. All he had to do is break the plane.

I wasn't debating you... just the twitter dopes in the article.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Six players were jumping for the ball, five of which were Eagles. Gronk was contacted after the ball was touched. It's not even close. To even make that argument is just sour grapes silly.

90% of Hail-Mary's have worse contact on the offensive receiver than that.

He was contacted while the ball was still well above everybody.

This. Exactly what I said but of course it's the Hoop.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't debating you... just the twitter dopes in the article.

I hate arguing about calls. If we are gonna do that lets discuss the obvious PI by the pats on the 2 pt try at the end of the game.

It's endless. A hold here, a hands to the face there, etc. If you're gonna do that why bother to watch the game?!?

Even the title of the article (refs miss PI call) is wrong!! All these media sources are just trying to create hits on their websites. It's a joke.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate arguing about calls. If we are gonna do that lets discuss the obvious PI by the pats on the 2 pt try at the end of the game.

It's endless. A hold here, a hands to the face there, etc. If you're gonna do that why bother to watch the game?!?

Even the title of the article (refs miss PI call) is wrong!! All these media sources are just trying to create hits on their websites. It's a joke.

During the game I think I complained about 1 call and it was the defensive holding penalty on the 3rd down incomplete pass across the middle to either Hogan or Amendola. It was more ticky tack than anything else they were calling and would have been the Pats first punt... then they drive the 70 remaining yards and score.

But the rest of the game, I'm glad they tucked their flags in their pocket. I'd watch more NFL games if they were officiated like that.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the game I think I complained about 1 call and it was the defensive holding penalty on the 3rd down incomplete pass across the middle to either Hogan or Amendola. It was more ticky tack than anything else they were calling and would have been the Pats first punt... then they drive the 70 remaining yards and score.

But the rest of the game, I'm glad they tucked their flags in their pocket. I'd watch more NFL games if they were officiated like that.

I remember that call. You're right it was ticky tack. I think it was called bc the hook was "obvious". It wasn't big. It was slight. It probably didn't effect the play but it was obvious. I think that's why it was called.

DBs often do things like that even when they don't have to. They are taught to do it. Most of the times they get away with it. The trick is "don't make it obvious".

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gronkowski clears out the DB (31) at the 15 yard line with a clothesline.

As far as I could tell all game, they let them play and in a way they didnt do during the season.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name two guys on that front seven that would make your team (one was a 49er reject - Ricky Jean-Francois)... yet the Patriots were 5th in the league in scoring defense right behind the Eagles - After Hightower went down early in the year, Patricia did it with mirrors. No other way to put it.

Ok. I don't follow the Patriots that closely

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm watching the replay of the game and went back to the XP after the Eagles first TD. Looked like it went over the inside of the upright. The only angle TV showed was that hanging camera over the middle of the field, but with as close as it was I'm surprised they didn't look at it again.

That bothered me too.

The ref is looking straight up, so if he's a half second behind, he sees the ball outside the upright and calls it No Good. Shouldn't they have some kind of goal line technology like they do in Soccer for determining this???