• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Superbowl 50: Carolina Panthers vs Denver Broncos 630 EST CBS

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Said it on air? Never listen to the announcers on replays. I watched it. Pretty much everyone in the room had the same conclusion.

They showed the play. They showed him after he rolled over. The ball moved, but it never touched the ground. Mike Carey also agreed.

Dean Blandino is a liar. Plain and simple.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They showed the play. They showed him after he rolled over. The ball moved, but it never touched the ground. Mike Carey also agreed.

Mike Carey is almost always wrong. There was even a prop bet yesterday on how many times he'd be wrong.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont think you can say that conclusively. The ball popped out and rotated after he hit the ground. His hand was under the ball but the manner in which he caught it usually leads to an incomplete ruling the way he landed. The fact that it was ruled incomplete to start means that you needed a clear shot of the ball when he lands to make sure no part of it is touching the ground and you simply dont get that view. The ball pops out and rotates which is consistent with a ball that would hit the ground. Its a 50/50 call and so they dont reverse.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's great when you consider that the Denver offense couldn't move the ball. The Denver D was the one controlling field position and their D actually contributed a lot more to their scoring than the Denver O. The Panthers offense ran 75 plays, while Denver only had 56 plays, so the Panthers were going to gain some yards from having nearly 20 more plays. You also have to deduct the yards that Carolina lost on sacks from the totals you mentioned and each turnover is worth many, many yards of field position.

They also had 10 more first downs which adds up to a lot more plays then Denver..

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think you can say that conclusively. The ball popped out and rotated after he hit the ground. His hand was under the ball but the manner in which he caught it usually leads to an incomplete ruling the way he landed. The fact that it was ruled incomplete to start means that you needed a clear shot of the ball when he lands to make sure no part of it is touching the ground and you simply dont get that view. The ball pops out and rotates which is consistent with a ball that would hit the ground. Its a 50/50 call and so they dont reverse.

It moves after he rolls over, it didn't move immediately (and his hands were clearly underneath it.

And it never touches the ground after he rolls over.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it never touches the ground after he rolls over.
You keep saying that but the better view they showed in the replay doesn't 100% confirm that. It probably doesn't touch the ground but you can't say it didn't. They messed up the original call and replay isnt powerful enough to overturn it.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His body is clearly between the ground and the ball. Unless the ball can phase through him, it doesn't get to the ground.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grading the officials as Broncos improve to 6-0 in Clete Blakeman's games

Let's hit the facts before dishing the analysis.

After their 24-10 victory over the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50, theDenver Broncos are now 6-0 in games refereed by Clete Blakeman. Blakeman's crew called more than twice as many penalties on the Panthers (12 accepted, plus one declined) as it did on the Broncos (six), and the game's total of 19 flags represented an active night of officiating by Super Bowl standards. (From 2001-14, the average number of penalties in a Super Bowl was 13.43.)

Viewed traditionally, however, Blakeman's crew let the teams play. It called only one offensive holding penalty and threw only two flags in the defensive secondary -- both for defensive holding -- on a night that featured 76 dropbacks and plenty of grabbing on both sides. A total of seven personal fouls, some for relatively mild offenses, almost certainly reflected a league priority to keep control of the most-watched game of the season.

(very interesting stat - however, the Broncos D deserved the win)

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're blind. The ball NEVER touched the ground.

Dean Blandino got lit up on Twitter for lying about that shit.

Not that Carolina would've won.

And frankly Im' ok with them missing that in real time. But to miss it with slow mo instand replay is 100% inexcuseable.

Here's a couple of shots that show it did touch the ground for ya

upload_2016-2-8_10-41-50.png

upload_2016-2-8_10-43-39.png

What they caught in real time was the ball was bobbled.

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-8_10-41-3.png
    upload_2016-2-8_10-41-3.png
    360.1 KB · Views: 22

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been said a lot in this thread already, but yuck, what an ugly, unprofessionally played, poorly played and reffed game. Sad, sad sad.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newton is literally a 4 year old in a 26 year old athletic specimens body.
His post game press conference was a disgrace. Looked like a petulant 4 year old with the one-word answers. Wearing that ridiculous hoodie and the big pout with the bottom lip sticking out made him look like the fool everyone says he is. And yet, the press who are so afraid of being called racists continue to make excuses for the 26 year-old "kid".

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His hand is clearly under the ball.
Hand under the ball, but the nose of the ball appears to touch the ground. Not enough evidence to conclusively overturn.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His hand is clearly under the ball.

Even with his hand under the ball it looks like it is touching the ground so if he then rolls over and the ball moves it is an incomplete pass. Very close call and I could see it going either way but to me that is not a blown call by the officials just one that is a 50/50 shot and you stick with what you originally called.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with his hand under the ball it looks like it is touching the ground so if he then rolls over and the ball moves it is an incomplete pass. Very close call and I could see it going either way but to me that is not a blown call by the officials just one that is a 50/50 shot and you stick with what you originally called.

If they called in a completed pass then it wouldn't have been overturned either. It was too close to overturn... At first I thought for sure he caught the ball, then some replays it appeared the tip of the ball hit the ground... I think if he didn't bobble it so badly initially they would have called it a catch.

Mike Carey I think has been wrong every time the commentators ask him to state his opinion...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they called in a completed pass then it wouldn't have been overturned either. It was too close to overturn... At first I thought for sure he caught the ball, then some replays it appeared the tip of the ball hit the ground... I think if he didn't bobble it so badly initially they would have called it a catch.

Mike Carey I think has been wrong every time the commentators ask him to state his opinion...

Oh I agree. When I watched the replay the first time I thought "Oh crap that is a catch" but when they zoomed it I saw how much it really moved right when he made contact with the ground and thought "well with them calling it an incomplete pass I just don't see that definitive evidence that this is for sure a catch."

Carey yeah I have stopped caring what that man has to say. For being an expert there is a reason that Vegas had a bet whether he would be wrong about a challenge play. He just doesn't seem to get it at all. I mean I think a coin being flipped would have better odds of getting his commentary right. "Well the coin has spoken and this one will be overturned." Seems about as right as what he has to say.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I agree. When I watched the replay the first time I thought "Oh crap that is a catch" but when they zoomed it I saw how much it really moved right when he made contact with the ground and thought "well with them calling it an incomplete pass I just don't see that definitive evidence that this is for sure a catch."

Carey yeah I have stopped caring what that man has to say. For being an expert there is a reason that Vegas had a bet whether he would be wrong about a challenge play. He just doesn't seem to get it at all. I mean I think a coin being flipped would have better odds of getting his commentary right. "Well the coin has spoken and this one will be overturned." Seems about as right as what he has to say.

It did appear the ball did move around in his arms as he is heading to the ground and possibly the tip of the ball hitting the ground... Now, I think it still can hit the ground if he has control of the ball but it appeared he didn't have it cleanly enough to make that call...

I think Carey just goes with what the "popular" call would be

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also had 10 more first downs which adds up to a lot more plays then Denver..

When your own offense only makes 11 first downs the whole game, holding the other side to only 10 more is pretty good, especially in this day and age where things are easier for the offensive side of the ball.