• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Substitute for Guinness??

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A substitute for Guinness...how about motor oil?
I was gonna say a huge bowl of mashed taters with triple gravy and then a double shot of any booze you choose, followed by a nap.

Drinking Guinness puts me to sleep far more than it gives me a buzz.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any of you happen to visit this awesome hamlet by the bay and find yourself in the Haight-Ashbury district, please by all means try making some time to check out the Magnolia Pub & Microbrewery's Stout of Circumstance. You'll be more than glad you did.

Magnolia Stout of Circumstance

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-2_17-47-12.png
    upload_2015-4-2_17-47-12.png
    848.2 KB · Views: 26

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any of you happen to visit this awesome hamlet by the bay and find yourself in the Haight-Ashbury district, please by all means try making some time to check out the Magnolia Pub & Microbrewery's Stout of Circumstance. You'll be more than glad you did.

Magnolia Stout of Circumstance

We're gonna have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no substitute...find another distributor.

Susky

Better late than never
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...did you find your substitute? I'm curious to know what you decided.

(BTW, Guinness in general used to be quite overbearing and controlling with the places that serve it. I'm not sure that they are these days, but the rep is hard to avoid. Many places skipped the nonsense and went to Murphy's.)

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

(BTW, Guinness in general used to be quite overbearing and controlling with the places that serve it. I'm not sure that they are these days, but the rep is hard to avoid. Many places skipped the nonsense and went to Murphy's.)

It's not just Guinness. The problem with Maryland, and most other areas FTM, is that distributors have exclusive rights to a brewery. So if you want to get Guinness in Maryland, you have to deal with FP Winner, or go without. A lot of places like Murphys as well, but they are only willing to put their stuff in sixtels, so unless your kegs are stored right under the bar, it isn't cost effective.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not yet. We added another nitro line and have been rotating some brews in and out for about a year. But we haven't found a suitable replacement for Guinness. The name is just too powerful. We have found some good brews on Nitro, though. Left Hand's Milk Stout is nice, as is Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter. We even put a couple of Nitro IPAs on. I'm not a big fan of them. I don't like the creamy taste that the nitro gives it and prefer them on regular CO2 drafts or in bottles.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no substitute for Guinness.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro or Fireston Walker Velvet Merlin.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murphys. Gotta be Murphys

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bar is considering a change from Guinness to a different stout. Mostly because the distribution company here is pissing off the owner with a bad record of bad reps and an increase in price on Guinness. We used to sell them in the proper 20oz glass, but price increases have forced that price up to a point where we don't feel comfortable charging it. So, we wanted to pour them into a 16 oz Guinness glass, which we have been told (and it's a bold face lie) that they do not make.

So, what would be a solid substitute for Guinness? Beamish is the first thing that pops into my head. I don't think we want to go with any of the chocolate stouts or milk stouts or anything. Just a good old fashioned, regular stout. Maybe some sort of imperial, but definitely not a flavored stout. Also has to be available in Maryland and run on a nitrogen/mixed gas line. We have a 2nd nitro line that carries a rotating beer. Right now, we have the Left Hand Milk Stout on that, but that is nowhere near the brand named selling power of Guinness.
If I had a favorite bar that poured a proper Guinness and they stopped serving it, I would find a new bar. fyi: If you are ever in Downtown Cincinnati, go to O'Malley's in the Alley. $3 Guinness pints on Wednesday night! Properly drawn.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had a favorite bar that poured a proper Guinness and they stopped serving it, I would find a new bar. fyi: If you are ever in Downtown Cincinnati, go to O'Malley's in the Alley. $3 Guinness pints on Wednesday night! Properly drawn.
I won the Perfect Pour Guinness contest a few years back. The next 4 or 5 winners of the annual contest came from my bar, won by bartenders that I trained (as bartenders for my bar and as contestants for the contest).