• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stupid Off-Season Thread

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Boston media isn't going to let this go away.........they actually called JG's mom yesterday. She told Phil Perry of NBCSB that Belichick really, really liked Jimmy. It wasn't warm and fuzzy, but he really liked him and texted him after every game. Thank you very much for you comments, Denise.

Yep, that's Jimmy's mom's name Denise.........like we really needed to know that...........

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. This is why I have so little faith in any article when it first appears anymore. Either way I hope Jimmy G does well, I would have like to keep him but that was not meant to be.

If he wasn't going to get $25+ he still would be in New England..... But I am really wondering what BBs plan is once Brady finally hangs em up... Etling I am thinking is not the answer BB thinks

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wasn't going to get $25+ he still would be in New England..... But I am really wondering what BBs plan is once Brady finally hangs em up... Etling I am thinking is not the answer BB thinks

I agree and I don't know how they could have kept both but I sure hated seeing Jimmy leave.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and I don't know how they could have kept both but I sure hated seeing Jimmy leave.

As is always the case in New England, there is little planning and only reaction when the time is at hand. The smart thing to have done is offer JG a new contract a year and a half before he got traded. Jimmy, we see your potential and right now Tom is the guy running the offense. But we have a future plan for you so we'd like to tear up your contract and offer you a five year escalating contract. 2016 - $10M, 2017- $12M, 2018-$15M, 2019 - $17M, 2020-$20M. Guarantee $40M. Then you tell Brady that JG will start playing a small amount of time, steadily increasing up to 50% by 2020. If Brady didn't agree, then offer to trade him to wherever he want to go except the AFC East. It would allow for adjustment every year and the cap does increase.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As is always the case in New England, there is little planning and only reaction when the time is at hand. The smart thing to have done is offer JG a new contract a year and a half before he got traded. Jimmy, we see your potential and right now Tom is the guy running the offense. But we have a future plan for you so we'd like to tear up your contract and offer you a five year escalating contract. 2016 - $10M, 2017- $12M, 2018-$15M, 2019 - $17M, 2020-$20M. Guarantee $40M. Then you tell Brady that JG will start playing a small amount of time, steadily increasing up to 50% by 2020. If Brady didn't agree, then offer to trade him to wherever he want to go except the AFC East. It would allow for adjustment every year and the cap does increase.
I agree 100% that would have been a masterful brush stroke

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No planning and only reaction? What a load of crap. Of course signing Jimmy to a team-friendly contract a year and a half ago was the smart thing to do...it was widely reported they tried for a long time to get something done to keep him, but it takes two to tango. And if he knows you're willing to kick the greatest player of all time to the curb for him, why would he settle for a way-below-market contract for a starting QB? By biding his time for a year and a half, Jimmy walked away with almost twice as much guaranteed money as what you propose the Pats were stupid not to offer him a year and a half ago (with no proof of what they ever did or didn't offer him).

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No planning and only reaction? What a load of crap. Of course signing Jimmy to a team-friendly contract a year and a half ago was the smart thing to do...it was widely reported they tried for a long time to get something done to keep him, but it takes two to tango. And if he knows you're willing to kick the greatest player of all time to the curb for him, why would he settle for a way-below-market contract for a starting QB? By biding his time for a year and a half, Jimmy walked away with almost twice as much guaranteed money as what you propose the Pats were stupid not to offer him a year and a half ago (with no proof of what they ever did or didn't offer him).

First, a year and a half prior to being traded, he didn't have any value because he hadn't played a game.
Second, a year and a half before he got traded, he was making about $600K
Third, a contract that size a year and ahalf before he got traded would have put about $22-$25M in his pocket rather than $1.5-$1.8M.
Fourth, and probably most important, he was never offered a new contract until the 2017 season.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same here.... Honestly IF (and it's a big IF) the Patriots win this years Super Bowl Brady will retire

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget Don Yee represents both TB12 and JG. I'm not to sure Yee really wanted to lose more $. No doubt he was in Jimmy's ear the entire time. Now he's eating Grey Poupon instead of French's.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget Don Yee represents both TB12 and JG. I'm not to sure Yee really wanted to lose more $. No doubt he was in Jimmy's ear the entire time. Now he's eating Grey Poupon instead of French's.
And we have the Gulden Boy

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might all want to take a close look at next years QB ckass

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might all want to take a close look at next years QB ckass

That’s what I thought would happen this year. Several good rookies I felt could have been good replacements for Brady. How many more years does Bill want to be coaching? Maybe Coach B doesn’t want to go through the trials of a rookie QB? I wonder what veteran QB’s are available in the next year or two? Maybe the Patriots go that direction?

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, a year and a half prior to being traded, he didn't have any value because he hadn't played a game.
Second, a year and a half before he got traded, he was making about $600K
Third, a contract that size a year and ahalf before he got traded would have put about $22-$25M in his pocket rather than $1.5-$1.8M.
Fourth, and probably most important, he was never offered a new contract until the 2017 season.
Link for the bolded, please.

Even if they had offered him the deal you proposed before the 2016 season, I doubt he'd've taken it when he could bet on himself and his pending performance during Brady's suspension and bide his time a little longer after that and make substantially more. If this guy was telling himself "I'm as good as Brady." and you walk in with a contract offer that tells him "we think you're as good Brady (i.e., we're going to tell Tom he has to split time with you or get traded)," then wouldn't his natural response be "then pay me like Brady. Or at least Andy Fucking Dalton?" He's not settling for a team-friendly pennies on the dollar contract in that situation just because it happens to be a significant raise (see Butler, Malcolm for further reading).

Further, as NW astutely noted, Don Yee would assuredly not have wanted any part of pitting two of his premier clients against one another.

Last edited:

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Link for the bolded, please.

Even if they had offered him the deal you proposed before the 2016 season, I doubt he'd've taken it when he could bet on himself and his pending performance during Brady's suspension and bide his time a little longer after that and make substantially more. If this guy was telling himself "I'm as good as Brady." and you walk in with a contract offer that tells him "we think you're as good Brady (i.e., we're going to tell Tom he has to split time with you or get traded)," then wouldn't his natural response be "then pay me like Brady. Or at least Andy Fucking Dalton?" He's not settling for a team-friendly pennies on the dollar contract in that situation just because it happens to be a significant raise (see Butler, Malcolm for further reading).

Further, as NW astutely noted, Don Yee would assuredly not have wanted any part of pitting two of his premier clients against one another.

I done getting into pissing contests over a post. You don't like what I have to say, sorry, I'm not here to please you. As far as going back and finding links etc. You want to know so bad, do some research and locate it yourself, I'm not your go-fer. Give me a rainbow, cake, bullshit, facepalm, whatever floats your boat. I won't give you the pleasure of defending myself. Have a good day..........

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I done getting into pissing contests over a post. You don't like what I have to say, sorry, I'm not here to please you. As far as going back and finding links etc. You want to know so bad, do some research and locate it yourself, I'm not your go-fer. Give me a rainbow, cake, bullshit, facepalm, whatever floats your boat. I won't give you the pleasure of defending myself. Have a good day..........
I gave you the cake because I have no idea what the cake emoji is to be used for. But who doesn't like cake?

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like has nothing to do with it. You made the claim, the burden of proof is on you. You don't want to defend yourself, fine, but that leaves me with two options - either you're wrong, or you're just pulling your unsubstantiated bullshit out of the ether.