• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Student Athletes...

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we done even pretending now?

I'm a MSU fan, which while not the most academically oriented has always had standards that put them ahead of some of those football factories down south. But getting ready for the game against ND this week all I'm hearing about is this trip down to Houston. They did one of those little feel good stories about it on the local channel, on their bye week last weekend they decided to go down to Houston and help volunteer with hurricane repair. They interviewed some of the players and even coaches and they were all saying things to the effect of "Well we didn't have a game, so we didn't have shit else to do." So they had the State university send the team down to Texas on a plane, and pay for hotels for them. Plus obviously food since these guys are on scholarships and have all sorts of rules.

Maybe stay home and go to class once in a while?

*For the record I would be fine with things like this, if the NCAA would stop trying to insist these guys are students and they are getting the benefit of an education.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and I'm sure they learned nothing from going down to Houston and helping those folks out. :L
Waste of time. They should've been in the classroom learning about how to protest free speech or some shit.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and I'm sure they learned nothing from going down to Houston and helping those folks out. :L

That's not how college works though. Well at least not for everyone who doesn't play football.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not how college works though. Well at least not for everyone who doesn't play football.

That's exactly how college works. Last I heard, college was a place for education and provides for many different educational opportunities depending on the students choices in things like course of study, clubs they join, involvement in athletics, student government, etc., etc.

I'm pretty sure those folks they helped weren't asking them why they weren't in school. They were probably just grateful for the help.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly how college works. Last I heard, college was a place for education and provides for many different educational opportunities depending on the students choices in things like course of study, clubs they join, involvement in athletics, student government, etc., etc.

I'm pretty sure those folks they helped weren't asking them why they weren't in school. They were probably just grateful for the help.
I swear my youngest daughter tended bar/waited tables at an Applebees while she went to college. It seems she learned just as much...if not more... tending bar as she did going to class.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A thread on the college football forum bemoaning a school sending its football players to help a community in its time of crisis and need. Now I've seen it all. :L