• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Strong: How many '16 wins to keep job?

• Major Bowl

• B12 Champ

Results are only viewable after voting.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's hard to put a number on it, but I'd say 8-9 wins.
It just depends on what a loss looks like. Is it pathetic, or did the team put up a good fight.
It might be as low as 7 wins if every loss is within a touchdown or so.
As long as there is positive movement forward, but 7 wins might not be moving fast enough for some people.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is tough. As long as Strong makes the correct changes on his coaching staff, I think this team can win at least 8 games. If he insists on keeping Bedford as his DC, after Bedford just fielded the worst defense statistically in UT history, then Strong needs to be fired mid season b/c this team might have 4 losses by then.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to say 8. 7-5 probably won't do it. Just not enough improvement fast enough. 5-7 was total shock for most us this year. The OU game was nice, but in that game, anything can happen. I have to think if we played that game 100 times, we would lose 99. Baylor was nice as well, but they were on their fourth string qb. A win is a win, but those don't give me much confidence. We have some good freshman and sophomores that should continue to improve, but without a qb, I'm not too hopeful. I'm afraid Heard was just media hype. Even if the new kids are good, they'll be playing their first college games. It will take them at least a year to develop. Strong just doesn't have that kind of time at this point.

Sorry Texasex. I know we disagree, but no matter who they bring in as the new coaches, you just can't do it without superstars. With the exception of the possibility of a few freshman and sophomores, we have none to date. Recruiting isn't going to well is another concern. He still has time to turn it around, but I'm not very hopeful in this area as well. Tough situation.

P.S. Texasex, I hope you are right and I'm wrong. We have a chance if you are right. If I'm right, we are still several years away at this point. Maybe longer.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to say 8. 7-5 probably won't do it. Just not enough improvement fast enough. 5-7 was total shock for most us this year. The OU game was nice, but in that game, anything can happen. I have to think if we played that game 100 times, we would lose 99. Baylor was nice as well, but they were on their fourth string qb. A win is a win, but those don't give me much confidence. We have some good freshman and sophomores that should continue to improve, but without a qb, I'm not too hopeful. I'm afraid Heard was just media hype. Even if the new kids are good, they'll be playing their first college games. It will take them at least a year to develop. Strong just doesn't have that kind of time at this point.

Sorry Texasex. I know we disagree, but no matter who they bring in as the new coaches, you just can't do it without superstars. With the exception of the possibility of a few freshman and sophomores, we have none to date. Recruiting isn't going to well is another concern. He still has time to turn it around, but I'm not very hopeful in this area as well. Tough situation.

P.S. Texasex, I hope you are right and I'm wrong. We have a chance if you are right. If I'm right, we are still several years away at this point. Maybe longer.

It's all about the coaching, IMO Phantom. The talent is there, it really is. This talent was good enough to at least win 8 games and they should have if it wasn't for incompetent coaching. The offense did plenty to beat CAL & TECH, but Bedford's schemes fucked us. Should have beaten Okie St, but Norvell's offense gaining only 48 yds and 2 first downs in the 2nd half, along with four straight 3 and outs in the 4th quarter doomed us. Regarding Iowa State, that was all coaching. The schemes and game plans were awful. ZERO halftime adjustments, too. Our two coordinators did their best to choke the game away against Baylor. This is one of the worst coaching staffs in the country. There isn't one head coach out there who could field a winning team with Strong's assistants; not even Saban or Meyer.

I think our QB problem can be solved if we can get a competent OC/QB coach. Obviously the answer isn't Heard nor Swoopes. But I like the Locksley kid. His dad is a football coach. Was the OC/QB coach for Maryland. I've always been a fan of the athletes whose dads were coaches. They have been taught the proper mechanics all their lives and always adapt to the next level a lot better. It all depends on Strong hiring thee right coaches. He's already failed miserably the 1st time; he must make it work the 2nd time. If Bedford is still the DC, then we're fucked and Strong is fired mid season, IMO....

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree about the talent being there this season. Nobody should be surprised the defense took a big hit, Edmond, Hicks, Diggs, Thompson, brown and Reed all graduated. There was no talent behind them, so all these freshman had to play from day 1. The back 7 of this defense should be special the next few years, with Malik, Wheeler, Hager, Boyd, Hill, Davis.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree about the talent being there this season. Nobody should be surprised the defense took a big hit, Edmond, Hicks, Diggs, Thompson, brown and Reed all graduated. There was no talent behind them, so all these freshman had to play from day 1. The back 7 of this defense should be special the next few years, with Malik, Wheeler, Hager, Boyd, Hill, Davis.

Put it this way, the talent is there to at least field a team with a winning record, whether that's 7-6, 7-5 or at least going .500 at 6-6. Again, this team was an ass hair away from 8 wins, but incompetent coaching led this team to a losing season. When you have Chris Warren's dad tweeting out how Bedford should have been fired immediately after the Baylor game b/c he did his best to choke that game away, you know you have problems. Bedford fielded the worst defense statistically in UT history; the talent is not that bad. Was it young? Absolutely, but just b/c you're young doesn't mean you don't have talent. No, his schemes and game planning were mind boggling and frustrating at times, with players out of place 70% of the time. I'll put blame on the shitty offense, but even when the offense did its job, Bedford's defense was still a shit show. He has no business coaching this defense next year and IMO, this will be Strong's downfall......

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it a joke that we're going into the third year, we've already had so many leadership changes, and we still have no fucking clue what's happening on either side of the ball?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it a joke that we're going into the third year, we've already had so many leadership changes, and we still have no fucking clue what's happening on either side of the ball?

Duke and Kentucky have higher ranked recruiting classes and I do mean he football teams. Never thought I would see the day when Duke, UK, Baylor and TCU would outrecruit us :L

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was an article this morning somewhere that I saw that said he might finish strong. They are waiting word from some big players that they think might have started to lean our way. Some from other schools and some that hadn't committed yet.

He better finish strong. So far, this recruiting year has been a disaster.