• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stephen F'ing Austin????

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you kidding me? C'mon you Huggin's apologists. Let me hear why your future hall of fame coach couldn't get his team up for this game. 22 turnovers. Takes a bench technical foul to inspire his team. Not that he needed them, but all their timeouts were gone around the 10 minute mark. These guys played like the were partying in the Big Apple last night. I could care less if the Big 12 is considered overrated. This team should have NEVER lost to this team. Saying 'look at Michigan State' will not be a valid argument nor explanation. Guess we should be looking at a MAC basketball coach.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When WVU went up 20-11, it was like the kids thought the game was over.

Now, I'm reading a bunch of bullshit claiming the kids didn't practice hard, didn't take SFA seriously enough.

As I said from the beginning of the year, this team was sorely lacking talent. For Huggs to get this team to finish 2nd in the conference, to get to the championship game of the tournament... Was going to be a great coaching job.

This team has zero consistent guard play. You cannot win in the NCAA without great guard play.

Our guards sucked tonight. SFA played with a great basketball IQ... great in your face defense... and took care of the ball.

I'm not really surprised by this outcome....

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few year ago I questioned Huggin's coaching style and his ability to get through to today's kids. I was criticized by some on this board for questioning a future hall of fame coach, even as far as going on to say I must not like people from WV. To answer that claim - not all, just a few. There is no doubt Huggins is a future hall of famer and the job he did this season was truly remarkable. I stated earlier this season that I could be wrong about his ability to get through to today's student athlete and that possibly his style of coaching is from a time gone by.

No guard play has been a common theme for many seasons here under Huggy, like QB play has been missing with Dana. Why wasn't there another plan of attack? Devin Williams on the blocks was a formidable task for a lot of teams, but instead the O was ran with him at the elbow of the foul line or foul line extended. There were no adjustments made last night until towards the end of the game when Williams was being fed the ball down low. With the run they had this season, adjustments must have been made when the guard play faltered.

While I still believe that this team should have never lost to SFA, it happened. I still don't like it, but it is what it is. Do I want to run Huggins out of town - not yet. It just goes to show that winning ain't easy. Still waiting on the One to spin this. Waiting to see how his standards for one coach doesn't apply to another? Kind of looking at you also, GR. Why doesn't your Doc campaign manifest into a campaign to get rid of Huggins? You know, the 5 years and out.

Great season, Men, but last night was very disappointing. SFA was nowhere close to being last years Kentucky team, but watching the game last night fooled me.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When WVU went up 20-11, it was like the kids thought the game was over.

Now, I'm reading a bunch of bullshit claiming the kids didn't practice hard, didn't take SFA seriously enough.

I'm sure they practiced hard as per Huggins track record. Good practices, only Huggins and those who were there only know. As far as taking SFA seriously enough, I doubt if they did. It seemed like they thought that they could turn it on at anytime but that didn't happen. You kind of summed it up with your first sentence.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few year ago I questioned Huggin's coaching style and his ability to get through to today's kids. I was criticized by some on this board for questioning a future hall of fame coach, even as far as going on to say I must not like people from WV. To answer that claim - not all, just a few. There is no doubt Huggins is a future hall of famer and the job he did this season was truly remarkable. I stated earlier this season that I could be wrong about his ability to get through to today's student athlete and that possibly his style of coaching is from a time gone by.

No guard play has been a common theme for many seasons here under Huggy, like QB play has been missing with Dana. Why wasn't there another plan of attack? Devin Williams on the blocks was a formidable task for a lot of teams, but instead the O was ran with him at the elbow of the foul line or foul line extended. There were no adjustments made last night until towards the end of the game when Williams was being fed the ball down low. With the run they had this season, adjustments must have been made when the guard play faltered.

While I still believe that this team should have never lost to SFA, it happened. I still don't like it, but it is what it is. Do I want to run Huggins out of town - not yet. It just goes to show that winning ain't easy. Still waiting on the One to spin this. Waiting to see how his standards for one coach doesn't apply to another? Kind of looking at you also, GR. Why doesn't your Doc campaign manifest into a campaign to get rid of Huggins? You know, the 5 years and out.

Great season, Men, but last night was very disappointing. SFA was nowhere close to being last years Kentucky team, but watching the game last night fooled me.

Of all people I think Charles Barkley summed it (and is as a program right now) up pretty good. We rely on turnovers to score and we are one demensional. That will win some games but won't cut it in the big dance where the good guards and teams know how to keep turnovers at a minimum. It was also pointed out how many times they turned us over (20) Huggins is not suprised by that al all either, 2 games in a row we had that many and even he called us (paraphrasing) one of the most charitable teams in CBB. A good true PG would help that a lot, we don't have one and havnt signed one in awhile and you are correct, that falls on Huggs, just like the QB spot, we HAVE to get it done when it comes to getting a true PG.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know how the game goes... Huggy has been to the Final 4... Huggy has proven himself...

What has Dana done? Lost to KU... Lost to ISU...

I was just texting Slaton... Huggs repeatedly gets outcoached in big games.

WVU could not handle the SFA pressure. They could not defend and stop dribble penetration.

It's a broken fucking record...

WVU fans like GR and DAD are fucking two faced pussies.

Go get me some Doc... Dana is nothing but an OC...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bout the only thing I can rag on Huggins for in this game was the disappearance of Esa Ahmad. Don't understand why he wasn't played more in the second have:scratch:.

Good stat on Huggins teams the last couple years, yea, he ain't no Doc and can't recruit a good PG like Doc would if Doc were the Hoops coach but he HAS done well with these bums he pulled off of the scrap pile..

51 - The number of wins over the last two years - 26 and 25. This is only the third time in school history that the Mountaineers have won 25 games in back-to-back seasons. They did it in 2007 and 2008, due to a run in the NIT Tournament, as well as four straight years from 1957-1960, and that team had some guys named Hot Rod Hundley and Jerry West.

Not bad considering there is not one player on our roster that will play in the NBA.

BB trying to compare Dana to DOC!??
Too funny

Last edited:

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huggy could have done a lot to change the pace of the game. The press was not working. Why not try to see if you could switch defenses. Run the 1-3-1, matchup zone, switch back to man, half court trap.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huggy could have done a lot to change the pace of the game. The press was not working. Why not try to see if you could switch defenses. Run the 1-3-1, matchup zone, switch back to man, half court trap.
Because this team has a lack of talent. The reason the team is one dimensional is because that is the way Huggins gets the most out of them. You don't switch play styles because they can't play that way. We don't have kids that can shoot the ball. We don't have kids that can handle the ball. Yes, that falls on recruiting and Huggins. But I don't see that as a coaching issue. It's recruiting.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I won't blame this on the officiating, because as everyone else has mentioned the guard play was missing in action...but the officiating didn't help..this freedom of movement thing if that is what it is called is so friggin arbitrary its like the strike zone in baseball..but the way the game was called left both teams with no rhythm...the Walkcup kid is a foul producing magnet! The refs buying every flop on the court...but in the end that team should not have beaten Wv..but to hear the kids say they took them lightly..well that is an HC issue no way to color that any different..that team won 20 straight coming into the tourney for goodness sakes..I agree with the Esa Ahmad comment...kid coudln't be stopped in the first half, clearly Paige couldn't find the hoop and Carter came back to being...well Carter....why would he not see a single minute in the second half????

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team overachieved all year because we played a different brand of basketball. 30% shooting does not win many ball games unless you get 10-20 more shots per game than the other team. That did not happen with SF. You have to make jump shots to win. When we were hot, we beat Kansas and Oklahoma, when we were cold, we lost.
The Texas games gave me concern. We turn the ball over too much when pressured. That was a weakness that SFA took advantage of big time.
I think Huggins should have given Walkon the Buddy Heild treatment
Game Summary: Guards could buy a basket, Ahmed should have been more of a factor, Huggins outcoached.

Season Summary: Picked 8th finished 2nd in the conference, Beat the #1 team in the land, great season with a disappointing ending

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add insult to injury. Guess who Oklahoma State hired as their new coach. Just like RR did with the spread option. Huggs has created a new style of play to deal with the freedom of movement rules and it is starting a revolution. If you can't recruit against Kansas, maybe you can harass them enough with pressing 3 star players to win a couple. Worked for us.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because this team has a lack of talent. The reason the team is one dimensional is because that is the way Huggins gets the most out of them. You don't switch play styles because they can't play that way. We don't have kids that can shoot the ball. We don't have kids that can handle the ball. Yes, that falls on recruiting and Huggins. But I don't see that as a coaching issue. It's recruiting.

The team may have lacked talent, but any team that can press can easily transition into a 1-3-1 half court trap, a 1-3-1 zone and an active matchup zone.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU did not need to change their defense. SFA shot 31% for the game.

WVU had a major weakness all season. Their guard play was inconsistent.

Against the pressure defense of SFA, WVU's guards wilted. The team did not make a single shot from the field in the 2nd half.

Until Huggs gets determined to recruit guards who can take care of the ball... who can shoot the ball... fans of this team will end up being disappointed.

He recently said he will have to work on passing and dribbling with his kids this summer.

Doc would have had his kids mastered in the art by now...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU did not need to change their defense. SFA shot 31% for the game.

WVU had a major weakness all season. Their guard play was inconsistent.

Against the pressure defense of SFA, WVU's guards wilted. The team did not make a single shot from the field in the 2nd half.

Until Huggs gets determined to recruit guards who can take care of the ball... who can shoot the ball... fans of this team will end up being disappointed.

He recently said he will have to work on passing and dribbling with his kids this summer.

Doc would have had his kids mastered in the art by now...
Nailed it.:thumb:

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both teams shot 31% from the field. SFA made twice as many 3 pointers and caused 22 turnovers. SFA broke WVUs 1-2-1-1 press with ease. Huggins did nothing to change the pace of the game. It was very reminiscent of the RR's play calling.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both teams shot 31% from the field. SFA made twice as many 3 pointers and caused 22 turnovers. SFA broke WVUs 1-2-1-1 press with ease. Huggins did nothing to change the pace of the game. It was very reminiscent of the RR's play calling.

How can WVU's defense do much better than holding its opponent to 31%?

WVU rarely could get into its press due to the fact it was struggling to score.

Some have questioned why Esa didn't play more. I agree he was one of the only kids making anything in the first half, but he was struggling on defense. SFA was very small, and Esa playing SF was killing WVU because he couldn't stay in front of his man.

This game was all about toughness. WVU did not have it. They couldn't take advantage of SFA playing in your face man because the guards don't have good enough handle of the ball. When teams like Texas and UF put similar pressure on WVU's guards, WVU performed poorly.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not down on the defense side of the ball but their traditional press was not working at all. If the press is needed to generate more offensive possessions because your team cannot make baskets, or streaky at best, then Huggins should have switched his looks to get those turnovers. Somebody had mentioned that they could not switch defenses because of their talent level. SFA played WVUs game and beat them at it. SFA made WVU turn the ball over.

Huggins didn't do the things that made them successful during the Big 12. He didn't change tempo. He didn't pound the rock down low until the end of the 2nd half. The game got cut down from double digits to 5, and then what? He gets a bench technical. I can't see this. Huggins has been doing this for at least 3 years now not only because of guard play but the overall, as you say, IQ of the players. When was the last time we had a real shooting threat at one of the guard positions? While I agree that this game guard play was a key role but find it hard to believe that WVU had this type of season despite their guards. This game was a total failure on many fronts. I can't accept that you end the season by beating OK and keep up with Kansas in the Big 12 finals only to show up to the 1st round of the Tourney looking like you never played the game before.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At season's end, you are what you are. We'll never know if changing defense would have generated more TO's. But, WVU did enough on defense to win the game.

SFA generated TO's for sure. But, this was not anything new for WVU. They were careless with the ball all year.

The Big 12 had some pretty weak defensive teams this year. That is why WVU did so well in conference.

Look what Virginia did to them in the 2nd half of the game. Look what UF and Texas did to them this year.

Like I said at the beginning of the season, this was going to have to be one of Huggy's best coaching jobs to have them competitive in the conference.

IMO, this year's team far exceeded anything I felt for them. I never fell in love or believed in this bunch.