• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steele's 2017 Toughest Schedule Rankings - ESPN Insidera

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also with the extra FCS win each year it raises the win totals for all SEC teams. We are talking about OOC, so please stay on the topic.

He can't stay on topic, OCC games and he lists conference games. lol

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It easy, you're USC! Here is their complete 2008 schedule.

8-30-2008 V Virginia
2 weeks
9-13-2008 H Ohio St.
2 weeks
9-25-2008 V Oregon St.
10-4-2008 H Oregon
10-11-2008 H Arizona St.
10-18-2008 V Washington St.
10-25-2008 V Arizona
11-1-2008 H Washington
11-8-2008 H California
11-15-2008 V Stanford
2 weeks
11-29-2008 H Notre Dame
12-6-2008 V UCLA
1-1-2009 N Penn St.

The oregon State game was a Thursday night you idiot. Go look at this season coming up. How many "weeks off" . I will give you a hint. USC has no bye week this season.
Whats funny is you're point out a season where USC's OCC schedule was Ohio State, Virgina and Notre Dame. No Mercers not Towsend not Chattanooga. Tell me a season since 2000 that Florida has played three OCC teams like that.

Last edited:

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The oregon State game was a Thursday night you idiot. Go look at this season coming up. How many "weeks off" . I will give you a hint. USC has no bye week this season.
Whats funny is you're point out a season where USC's OCC schedule was Ohio State, Virgina and Notre Dame. No Mercers not Towsend not Chattanooga. Tell me a season since 2000 that Florida has played three OCC teams like that.

So you just figured out that 12 days after a Saturday is a Thursday and that 9 days after a Thursday is a Saturday. You truly are an intellectual giant, Jim.

OSU (10-3), UVa (5-7), and ND (7-6) were a combined 22-16.
In 2013 UF played Miami (9-4), FSU (14-0), our BYE WEEK (0-12) combined were 23-16!!!! HA, Ha, HA! You are such a tool!!!

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can't stay on topic, OCC games and he lists conference games. lol

AND for the 100th times, idiot, the thread is
"Steele's 2017 Toughest Schedule Rankings
- ESPN Insidera"

Learn to read STUPID!!!!!

jon2tanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,129.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND for the 100th times, idiot, the thread is
"Steele's 2017 Toughest Schedule Rankings
- ESPN Insidera"

Learn to read STUPID!!!!!
The rankings are based off of what? Read it, and you will see this thread was about OOC from page 1.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rankings are based off of what? Read it, and you will see this thread was about OOC from page 1.

You mean Pac12 people immediately deflected the discussion away from conference play to out of conference play?

Because making sure a team like Vanderbilt don't make it to some shitty bowl nobody cares about - that's what is important right.

jon2tanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,129.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That make a whole lot of sense.:L

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if there is an SOS matrix that only calculates opponents with, say, 8 or more wins in a season.
Reason being, that any really good team should beat any team with less wins than that, not saying doesn't happen, but if it does, then that matrix could count the loss.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if there is an SOS matrix that only calculates opponents with, say, 8 or more wins in a season.
Reason being, that any really good team should beat any team with less wins than that, not saying doesn't happen, but if it does, then that matrix could count the loss.

The SoS metric I use somewhat works in this way. I use it and like it for exactly the reason you mention.

BCF Toys - 2016 SOS Ratings

Basically, it takes every teams schedule and uses an "elite" team to find out the chance for the team to go undefeated. The more predicted losses for the schedule, the tougher the schedule is. It also has numbers for different levels of teams, like just good ones(aka more losses predicted), but the elite one is the main one.

It doesn't use win% to determine team strength, it uses FEI metrics(advanced stats). So it's not using "8 or more wins" directly, but it is using a method where only stronger teams really impact the schedule strength.

It does not count FCS teams in the schedule - which is to say, FCS teams give no added strength to the schedule at all. It counts as an automatic win, so it's like saying they provide no schedule strength.

It works in the manner you mention because it will see very little difference in team strength between 2 crappy teams that any decent team will beat. However, when it comes to big games against big strong teams - those games will mean a whole lot more. If you play a team like Alabama, Ohio St, etc - it's going to notice. Because those are the games that are almost impossible to win.

So basically, tougher teams carry more weight that same way only counting 8+ win teams would, but better.

Even comes with fun charts to play with:

BCF Toys - Chartball SOS

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya'll still going round N round about this purely subjective bullshit?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya'll still going round N round about this purely subjective bullshit?

Pickings are slim during the off season. It's either this, or some misguided outta place thread by a Washington fan.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Try again, Steele uses ALL games. The post lists the opponents combined records, opponents with a winning 2016 record, opponents that played in a 2016 postseason game, and opponents that finished 2016 in the AP Top 25.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crowds actually have very little effect on home field advantage. I saw some research on the topic, and what actually provides the home field advantage is that players are familiar with the place and it makes them more comfortable.

In the study, LSU wasn't the hardest place to play, it was some stadium which amounted to basically a high school football stadium. It was that way because it was least comfortable for the visiting players.

This is also why home field advantage becomes minimal when you play the same teams often. The other teams become use to playing in them. Of course, the home team will always be most comfortable.

In that manner, Alabama does have a small advantage in some of these places due to having played in them more often. Regulars at the Georgia Dome(not anymore though) and in Jerry World.

The only time crowds have a real effect on the game is when they are so loud that plays can't be called etc. Which is never going to happen at a neutral site, and only happens in a few stadiums(Auburn's student section comes to mind). Alabama for example the seats are too far away from the field, I doubt the crowd ever provides much effect.

LOL, spoken like someone who has never attended a home game to watch their favorite team. Oh wait.....

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, spoken like someone who has never attended a home game to watch their favorite team. Oh wait.....

Spoken like a butthurt fan who still thinks they had a chance and their program wouldn't have turned into shit if their QB wasn't a pussy. Oh wait....

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you just figured out that 12 days after a Saturday is a Thursday and that 9 days after a Thursday is a Saturday. You truly are an intellectual giant, Jim.

OSU (10-3), UVa (5-7), and ND (7-6) were a combined 22-16.
In 2013 UF played Miami (9-4), FSU (14-0), our BYE WEEK (0-12) combined were 23-16!!!! HA, Ha, HA! You are such a tool!!!

Florida played three OCC teams , none out of Florida and one was the Citadel LOL, USC played three OCC teams and went on the road to Virginia for one of them. Only an SEC fan would think thats something to crow about. Wow, you didn't leave Florida again for an OCC game. lol

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida played three OCC teams , none out of Florida and one was the Citadel LOL, USC played three OCC teams and went on the road to Virginia for one of them. Only an SEC fan would think thats something to crow about. Wow, you didn't leave Florida again for an OCC game. lol

Only a putz like you thinks it matters whether it is an in or out of conference game. And combined the 3 teams you list barely had a pulse. The TWO teams UF played won more games than the THREE teams you played. Get over it!!!

If you would like to compare ALL of the games played by USC OUTSIDE of California against ALL of the games played OUTSIDE of Florida played by UF, just let me know the time frame (at least 10 years, otherwise you will pick a 2 week span). Then we can compare ALL of the games played by USC INSIDE of California by USC against ALL of the games played INSIDE of Florida by UF over the same time frame.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hilarious. Ive seen Alabama play in person more than he has.lol

It's hilarious that ya'll are so butthurt that you even give a shit to start with. I hope I never get so upset as to worry about how other people watch football games.

You're a "better fan" than me, grats. Too bad you're a dumbass as well, so I still think I got the better deal here.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only a putz like you thinks it matters whether it is an in or out of conference game. And combined the 3 teams you list barely had a pulse. The TWO teams UF played won more games than the THREE teams you played. Get over it!!!

If you would like to compare ALL of the games played by USC OUTSIDE of California against ALL of the games played OUTSIDE of Florida played by UF, just let me know the time frame (at least 10 years, otherwise you will pick a 2 week span). Then we can compare ALL of the games played by USC INSIDE of California by USC against ALL of the games played INSIDE of Florida by UF over the same time frame.

Only a fan of a team who hasn't had the balls to travel out of their state for an OCC game since the First Bush was President would compare never leaving the state to a team who travels across the country for OCC games. And Ohio State was ranked #5 when they played them in LA and was ranked #8 the next year when USC actually traveled to Columbus to play them. I know you dont understand that concept. Traveling half way across the country to play and OCC game.

Last edited: