• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State of the Thunder

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKC is under .500 and this isn't the first or second stinker they've had.

Against a bad team? It actually is. Last night was the first time they were defeated by double digits. Almost all of their losses came in close games where they couldn't finish. Last night for the first time they were blown out so yes last night is the first stinker they had.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lakers could have a package that would interest OKC, but it would be something like:

Randle, Kuzma and KCP (expiring contract)

Kuzma would be the asset with the team friendly deal and Randle is the wild card with a bit of upside. Neither KCP nor Randle really have much value though. KCP's value is mostly as an expiring contract who can play a bit. Without Kuzma or Ingram in the deal, OKC doesn't even consider.

Even then, we are far from the point where OKC thinks about dealing George.

Not giving up Kuzma when we can sign PG as a FA.....I get that you're trying to play GM though.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just fine. He took an absolutely shit team to the playoffs in the West as the 6th seed. That team lose 60+ games without Russ.

You are correct.

Nobody should question his ability to carry a bad team. He has done that well. What I question is his ability to play effectively alongside other good players.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They lost by 9 to Utah and 8 to the Kings. Those are stinkers.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not giving up Kuzma when we can sign PG as a FA.....I get that you're trying to play GM though.

Don't think the Lakers would or should do that. Just saying that is what it would take to get it done.

Reactions: DJ

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 5 teams in the league with a better point differential than OKC which is usually a pretty good indicator of a good team or bad team. Have to think they get rolling sooner or later.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They lost by 9 to Utah and 8 to the Kings. Those are stinkers.

The Kings game was another close one they couldn't close out. They were down 1 with under 5 to go.

As for Utah, that's a playoffs team with Gobert (who played that game). Not close to being in the same category as Dallas or the Kings.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope it doesn't work out because I want PG but think about this:

The Lakers started 10-10 last season......they sucked by the end of the season.

It is a little odd they aren't playing better imo. They have 3 studs.

George had two points on 1-of-12 shooting

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kings game was another close one they couldn't close out. They were down 1 with under 5 to go.

As for Utah, that's a playoffs team with Gobert (who played that game). Not close to being in the same category as Dallas or the Kings.

OKC was supposed to be better than Utah before the season since they lost Heyward.

It was a stinker considering the Thunder have 3 players better than any 3 on the Jazz or Kings.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKC was supposed to be better than Utah before the season since they lost Heyward.

It was a stinker considering the Thunder have 3 players better than any 3 on the Jazz or Kings.

Well we clearly have different definitions of stinkers

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 5 teams in the league with a better point differential than OKC which is usually a pretty good indicator of a good team or bad team. Have to think they get rolling sooner or later.

I think they will too, but every early loss they take makes their potential playoff road astronomically more difficult.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll never take a 2nd round pick for pg13. You're on drugs.

Someone who think they can win it all this season with George will risk it all would give OKC a much better deal than anything the lakers can offer them

^^^This^^^

If things don't improve in OKC enough to entice him to stay...and IF he still wants to come to the Lakers, it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to give up anything to get him.

As you and @tlance point out, OKC will get a better offer from a team that thinks adding him will get them to the finals hoping that will entice him to stay.

The smart play for the Lakers, imo, would be to just wait it out and trust that there isn't a team out there that just adding PG is getting them past the Warriors (except maybe the Spurs).

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So come late March, the Thunder are only an average team, PG13 says he'll probably sign with the Lakers, and the Lakers offer Randle, you actually think OKC won't accept that?

In fact, the Lakers probably won't even bother with Randle. They might offer a 2nd rounder and OKC will probably still take that.
No, they won't accept that.

You have to remember that Randle is a Rfa.

Even if George or LeBron don't come to LA, I don't see the Lakers paying Randle 15m plus.

So, why would OKC?

I would honestly rather roll the dice and let Paul walk for nothing than to pay Randle if I'm OKC.

Summertime sign and trade is a option as well.

If he has more than one team on his list, I'm sure the other team can beat just getting Randle.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^This^^^

If things don't improve in OKC enough to entice him to stay...and IF he still wants to come to the Lakers, it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to give up anything to get him.

As you and @tlance point out, OKC will get a better offer from a team that thinks adding him will get them to the finals hoping that will entice him to stay.

The smart play for the Lakers, imo, would be to just wait it out and trust that there isn't a team out there that just adding PG is getting them past the Warriors (except maybe the Spurs).
Gotta think the Celtics wouldn't bite at this point and the Cavs only have burnt garbage to offer.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they will too, but every early loss they take makes their potential playoff road astronomically more difficult.
Agree.

But, look at some of the teams currently ahead of them.

Minny, underachieving also.

Blazers, Pelicans....meh.

Not playing great.

Denver, Utah, Grizz.....

Team altering injuries that will cause their best player to miss a month or more.

We are a smidge less than a quarter of the way thru the Season.

With less than 20 games played, they have a ton of time to right this ship.

I just don't know if they are contenders with this cast of characters.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta think the Celtics wouldn't bite at this point and the Cavs only have burnt garbage to offer.

Exactly. Imo, the Lakers are in a good spot. They have good young talent and a good young coach. Maybe they are able to land a couple of top FA's in the off season and maybe they aren't.

If they do land a couple of top guys...great, it throws a turbo charger on the rebuild and we Lakers fans get to see them be a relevant playoff threat as early as next season.

If they don't...great, they still have some really good young talent, a really good young coach and Lakers fans get to see them all grow up together.

I'm fine with either one.

Last edited:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good thing for them is the West is not as dominant as in the past. Only the Dubs and Rockets look like they'll reach 55+ wins.

Spurs are in 3rd and they have 7 losses. Portland is in 4th and they have 8 losses. If they get it going ASAP, they can still get HCA in round 1

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So come late March, the Thunder are only an average team, PG13 says he'll probably sign with the Lakers, and the Lakers offer Randle, you actually think OKC won't accept that?

In fact, the Lakers probably won't even bother with Randle. They might offer a 2nd rounder and OKC will probably still take that.
You can't make trades in March.

So, no.