• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State of the Mariners

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article was made for this thread: The win-now and win-later teams of the 2018 MLB season

Absolutely incredible that between "Window opening, window closing, should contend, and Nope" on an x/y graph, the M's have their own fucking category.

Screen_Shot_2018_03_27_at_10.24.49_AM.jpg

I honestly cant think of an image, article or situation that is more Mariners then that. Definition of Mediocre

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly cant think of an image, article or situation that is more Mariners then that. Definition of Mediocre

The Mariners
Screen_Shot_2018_03_27_at_10.24.49_AM.jpg

There they exist until the end of time, stuck in the middle of the compass and doomed to repeat every season in an endless loop. Their logo is the compass, you see. This was a clue, something we should have divined from the baseball gods long ago. Their GM is stuck in a Greek myth where he tried to trade for Hera, and his punishment is to make 100 trades every season and get exactly nowhere.

Everyone else sort of floats around from year to year, though. We’ll see you next season for another installment. The best part is that at least one of these placements will be completely wrong, and we’ll get to laugh at us dummies back in the past who couldn’t see it coming. Good times.

I wanted to quote the article to make it easier for everyones quick read ... it made me laugh ( and sad as it is so true )

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well as I disagree with Cano and Seager and getting prospects back. If what Jerry and Stanton have stated about the payroll they could've gotten some good prospects back for them depending on how much of the contract they eat. With Felix, it's a different story, even if they eat the entire contract noone with give up anything for a 3rd or 4th starter. He can't say out of one side of his mouth he can't unload the Cano contract but at the same time dealing for Gordon while he gave up much more than the Yelich trade got Miami. Jerry needs to be the President of an organization, not a GM IMO.

felix has to approve any trade(and he wont) cuz a lot of his fans are here..he has ten years in..the mariners are stuck with filex...end of story ..unless he has a good year and trade him at the deadline..more probable next year than this one..as a possible

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
felix has to approve any trade(and he wont) cuz a lot of his fans are here..he has ten years in..the mariners are stuck with filex...end of story ..unless he has a good year and trade him at the deadline..more probable next year than this one..as a possible

Our opportunity to part ways with Felix was when he wanted that $175mil contract

sadly we missed the chance to let another team sign him to that sucker contract.

We ARE stuck with him. he ain't going anywhere ... his accountant and his ego will keep him right here in Seattle until his contract is up and then he retires from baseball.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we just cant get around the fact that felix has a lot of wear and tear on that arm..
but..to me that does not mean he is finnished
as you say..#3or #4..20 to 25 starts a year spread out..yeah probably
and even servais was hinting at just that
back in ancient baseball history they sent washed up starters to the bull pen...they forgot how to do that these days..lol
they think they are making a better wheel...they may not be

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would have agreed he wouldn't have approved any deal two years ago. If the Mariners want to deal him I don't think it would be difficult at all for him to waive it as his family is now in Florida.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't recall hearing that Chone Figgins tried to fight Wakamatsu. I know that there was issues with him in the dugout, but I don't recall hearing about that. Quite surprising considering that Don Wakamatsu was a super even-keeled guy in terms of his temperament. Met him once or twice at fan events when he was here and he was a really quiet, reserved guy.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't recall hearing that Chone Figgins tried to fight Wakamatsu. I know that there was issues with him in the dugout, but I don't recall hearing about that. Quite surprising considering that Don Wakamatsu was a super even-keeled guy in terms of his temperament. Met him once or twice at fan events when he was here and he was a really quiet, reserved guy.

And Wak would have kicked his ass!

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our opportunity to part ways with Felix was when he wanted that $175mil contract

sadly we missed the chance to let another team sign him to that sucker contract.

We ARE stuck with him. he ain't going anywhere ... his accountant and his ego will keep him right here in Seattle until his contract is up and then he retires from baseball.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

It doesn't seem like too terrible an idea to give a 27 year old pitcher a 7 year $175m contract. Especially considering Felix wasn't far removed from a Cy Young winning season and a season before that in which he finished 2nd in Cy Young voting.

Obviously it has come back to bite us, but the assumption was probably that Felix wouldn't be this bad/injury prone for at least a few more years.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't seem like too terrible an idea to give a 27 year old pitcher a 7 year $175m contract. Especially considering Felix wasn't far removed from a Cy Young winning season and a season before that in which he finished 2nd in Cy Young voting.

Obviously it has come back to bite us, but the assumption was probably that Felix wouldn't be this bad/injury prone for at least a few more years.

That wasn't crazy at all.The crazy part was only doing that just like the Cano deal. In and of itself, both moves were fine. No moves to follow were the killer.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ya, the only reason, to me, it seems like a bad deal now is because Felix has been hurt so much or a shell of himself. I remember analysts criticizing him for how poor of a deal he got compared to what he would have on the open market.

But ya, the Chone Figgins deal didn't make sense then and still makes no sense at all and why having an ownership group who doesn't care doesn't step in and ask GM's what is the goal here.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
STATE OF THE MARINERS??? Does Ichiro Suzuki give you any idea of the State of the Mariners?? To me, that kind of sums things up.:gaah: Sorry I'm so negative, but sheesh, when is Seattle going to get it's stuff together and put together a winning post season team including the management?:noidea:

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
STATE OF THE MARINERS??? Does Ichiro Suzuki give you any idea of the State of the Mariners?? To me, that kind of sums things up.:gaah: Sorry I'm so negative, but sheesh, when is Seattle going to get it's stuff together and put together a winning post season team including the management?:noidea:

Well seeing as how 1995 helped save the team I think we can establish that it takes 18 years before ownership has to care. (1977-1995). And Seattle hasn't made the playoffs since 2001. So 2018-2001=17. SO NEXT YEAR is when we made are playoff push RIGHT???:noidea:

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wasn't crazy at all.The crazy part was only doing that just like the Cano deal. In and of itself, both moves were fine. No moves to follow were the killer.

Checkmate

Point and points duly noted ... I 2nd - motion passed :clap:

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is true

But also any layman baseball person could have clearly seen that keeping him to a huge contract or letting him go made no difference in a team that was either really shitty or just kinda shitty

So the logical basbeball minds would have foregone the huge contract and pieced together a ball club from what was left with $27 mil extra to spend each year to improve it

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto: ‘We like where we stand’ entering season
Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto: 'We like where we stand' entering season

Unlike what people have suggested, I don’t feel like our clock is ticking, so to speak,” [Dipoto ] said. “We have two players over the age of 32 outside of Ichiro, who just joined. … We’re 29 years old on average which is right about the average in the big leagues.

We like where we stand.”

And our starting rotation is better than people think,” Dipoto said.

And That's why the Mariners are the Mariners.:L:L:L

Ok in one month When Seattle is 29th in starting pitching and we are using AAA pitchers because of injuries you better own it.