• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Starting Safety P. Thomas?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins are not expected to re-sign free agent S Brandon Meriweather.
Meriweather makes more headlines with his suspension-garnering headshots than his effectiveness. The 31-year-old was PFF's No. 60 safety among 87 qualifiers last season, deservedly taking a lot of blame for the Redskins' pass coverage woes. Safety should be a priority position for the 'Skins in both the draft and free agency.

I don't see anyone from the draft coming in a starting at SS unless its Collins from Bama. The Fa market looks very weak at SS unless some big names get cut. Its time to prove that you belong Thomas.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he will still have some competition.
Id like to sign jeron johnson, seahawks/scot connection and draft someone like anthony harris or tartt. we have a whole new defensive staff so thomas wont just be given the job.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
moore or johnson or both would be some good additions

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas is more a FS than a SS, though he was, as most safeties were, used interchangeably in Haslett's defense. I think that was a really bad idea, at least with the guys we had. I'd say stick Thomas at the FS spot and see what he can do there. Then, maybe we can sign someone like a Marcus Gilchrist to fill the SS spot (though I'm not sure if he's a SS or FS). Of course, what about Duke Ihenacho? Is he still in our plans?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas is more a FS than a SS, though he was, as most safeties were, used interchangeably in Haslett's defense. I think that was a really bad idea, at least with the guys we had. I'd say stick Thomas at the FS spot and see what he can do there. Then, maybe we can sign someone like a Marcus Gilchrist to fill the SS spot (though I'm not sure if he's a SS or FS). Of course, what about Duke Ihenacho? Is he still in our plans?

are you sure that isnt the other way around ? he is a better SS then a FS . thomas was good in the box but missed coverages in some cases . also thomas being a solution at either spot is a good thing

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas was drafted as a FS. He struggled in coverage because he spent a lot of time on the PS and you need reps to be effective in coverage. I'm hoping that's the reason he was wobbly in coverage, but it's easier to play SS in the box than it is FS in the secondary. And FS is one of the four key positions in any 3-4 scheme (in addition to NT and two pass-rushing OLBs).

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas was drafted as a FS. He struggled in coverage because he spent a lot of time on the PS and you need reps to be effective in coverage. I'm hoping that's the reason he was wobbly in coverage, but it's easier to play SS in the box than it is FS in the secondary. And FS is one of the four key positions in any 3-4 scheme (in addition to NT and two pass-rushing OLBs).

most current scouting reports have him as a SS . and i am talking pro scouting . however a healthy year could show he can be free safety

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he's more of a SS right now because he can't play FS as effectively. There are more safeties that can play strong than free, and we need someone to play free effectively for this defense to work.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been really high on Thomas since he was drafted. But I gotta say I was not encouraged by what we saw last year. Another shout out to Bruce Allen for not signing Mike Mitchell when was available last off season. Thanks Bruce, thanks a lot.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Thomas' performance last year was just so-so, it really was his rookie year, given all the injuries he has had. Im hopeful that with a full offseason and preseason, he can up his game. He has the measurables, just needs the experience.