• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Starling Marte

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, so hear me out :)

Pittsburgh in talks with NYY on a Gerrit Cole trade, may happen or may not, but if it does seems likely (Heyman) that Clint Frazier would be a major piece in that deal.

In that event, Pirates would then have McCutchen (almost a guarantee to be traded at that point), Starling Marte, Gregory Polanco, Frazier, Austin Meadows, Josh Bell (1B) and Adam Frazier.

Looking ahead to 2019, Frazier and Meadows should be MLB ready. Polanco and Marte would be well under contract (Polanco through '23, Marte through '21) and seemingly PIT holds a logjam in the OF. Meanwhile, 1B is taken up by Bell and obviously no DH.

So...

In that scenario, if PIT trades for Frazier (and maybe adds another OF spec, maybe not), should SF call and kick the tires on Starling Marte

Contract:
2018: $7.8M
2019: $10.3M
2020: $11.5M*
2021: $12.5M*

Negatives:
- Would Pittsburgh want to trade him? Maybe not, certainly flashed plenty of talent and put up numbers pre-'17, contract is solid and options are always nice to have.
- Full season ban if he tests positive for PEDs again, which obviously carries major risk and would be a blow if you have up pieces for him.
- In coming back from suspension, only posted .318 wOBA, 94 wRC+. Not terrible but wOBA would be 15th amongst CFs and wRC+ 14th at CF. Numbers also quite a bit down from his '14 - '16 totals.
- He is 29
- Potential trade cost

Positives
- Rated as one of the best arms, range amongst left fielders over past four seasons. He was supposed to play CF in '17 for PIT then that whole suspension happened, McCutchen did well offensively and PIT decided not to upset their icon by putting the guy (better defensively) back in CF after 'cheating'
- Look at those numbers from '14- '16!!! (.348 wOBA, 122 wRC+, 11.6 fWAR, 107 SB, 41 HR)
- If he avoid suspension and can play well. You get him longer than Billy Hamilton and he doesn't come with a really expensive contract that will make you fear the luxury tax
- Seems like a good dude, his teammates like him
- Because of the potential 162-game ban if he ever tests positive again, may push his price down some.

Disclosure:
I admit, I was bored and mostly trying to think about how PIT makes their OF work in the coming years, I've also always been a Marte fan. Ob piously this is probably doubtful and this requires a trade taking place that may not, but I was bored and also wanted to say hi!

p.s.: I'm more on board with a complete rebuild, but that is unpopular and is even more unrealistic than this. So I went with the slightly less crazy post

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Giants were involved in Cutch rumors, which to me is dumb and obviously not a good fit.

With these types of situations/rumors though, it always seems reporters have the general idea right, but miss a few points.

For example, the rumors were for Cutch, but then the Giants are actually trading for Marte. The reporters had the right team but wrong player. I could see that as a scenario here.

At the same time I don't think the Giants will be linked to him for the PEDs.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming Marte bounces back to his pre 2017 production numbers, he would be a great pick up for the Giants. However, if Marte would truly go on the trading block (I continue to hear rumblings of a Cole deal but they are getting more quiet, so I don't know if the Pirates would be willing to swing a Marte deal) I wonder if the Giants could compete with other teams' packages that would be offered. I would assume that many teams would want in on this kind of deal.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MARTE??? NO THANKS

MISSING THE Z! EZ ALL GOOD

DSq2xIZU0AEqc_I.jpg