• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Rangers vs. Penguins

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Rangers on the win.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to hand it to the Rangers. They work away like coal miners on defense, and they turn it over and that is when they swing that pick axe right into your back. They have a lethal counter attack. Just tireless workers on defense and Lundy.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm honestly pretty proud of the team...two OT losses, gutted out a win, MAF solid, all without their three best defense (outside of Martin). Every game was a one-goal difference. I'm intrigued to see what happens this offseason with GM/coach. Things are not as dire as people made them seem, at ALL. There's a great core of players to build around still, they have money to pick up supporting cast. I could see GMJR out, but only because of the 5 D stuff that happened. Johnston? He did what he was brought in to do: the Pens were much better on D. The issue was the opportunity cost being offense and creativity. If there weren't so many "big names" on the market for coaches, I wouldn't think he'd be gone...but it's going to be awful tempting for the team to try to lure one of those guys.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens played as expected, and in fact, were pretty consistent since early January. Averaging about 1 ROW in every 5 games.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did what he was brought in to do: the Pens were much better on D.

They gave up 210 goals this season, 207 last season. And I think Fleury had a much better year.

I think the Pens have serious issues with their defensive players and offensive depth. Lovejoy is god awful - how he has an NHL job I don't understand. Why they let both Orpik and Niskanen go, I don't get. Scuderi (who I've been a huge fan of for a long time) seems like he's over the hill now. I know they were missing some guys - they sorely missed Letang's puck moving skills - but defense shockingly wasn't their issue in this series. They couldn't finish. They don't have

I think the Pens are better than their late season fold, but I don't see any players on this team under the age of 25 that are going to be something special. I think Hornqvist was a nice addition. But when you compare the quality of their 2nd and 3rd line forwards to Washington, NY, and other good teams in the division, I just don't think they stack up. I was praying to play them in the playoffs b/c in my eyes they were the only easy out in the division. In years past, I feared them. That should be a sign.

Now go cry about it in all your damn Stanley Cups. ;)

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think structurally better on defense, but less talented, would be a good description between last year and this.

And yeah the offense was the problem. Offense has been bad for a while now at least a few months. I don't think it's all on not having the correct defensemen, more on the forwards.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They gave up 210 goals this season, 207 last season. And I think Fleury had a much better year.

I think the Pens have serious issues with their defensive players and offensive depth. Lovejoy is god awful - how he has an NHL job I don't understand. Why they let both Orpik and Niskanen go, I don't get. Scuderi (who I've been a huge fan of for a long time) seems like he's over the hill now. I know they were missing some guys - they sorely missed Letang's puck moving skills - but defense shockingly wasn't their issue in this series. They couldn't finish. They don't have

I think the Pens are better than their late season fold, but I don't see any players on this team under the age of 25 that are going to be something special. I think Hornqvist was a nice addition. But when you compare the quality of their 2nd and 3rd line forwards to Washington, NY, and other good teams in the division, I just don't think they stack up. I was praying to play them in the playoffs b/c in my eyes they were the only easy out in the division. In years past, I feared them. That should be a sign.

Because they would have been in cap hell

Yes, those are good players, but also, the system in Washington is much better than in Pittsburgh - it was smart for Pittsburgh to let them go because they have defensive prospects and younger players that could be good players on the cheap - and it can allow them to finally get offensive depth if they can make the right deals - nobody would have been talking about the loss of those two guys if the rest of the d-men stayed healthy

It's hard to improve the forward group via free agency - notice the additions to their forward group that made legit impacts were via trade - Hornqvist, Spaling and Perron - the other guys didn't do so much - obviously they need to draft better because they could end up getting better forwards if the drafting improves, otherwise, they'll be continuing to have to give up first round picks to get forwards or signing guys off the scrap heap

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they would have been in cap hell

Yes, those are good players, but also, the system in Washington is much better than in Pittsburgh - it was smart for Pittsburgh to let them go because they have defensive prospects and younger players that could be good players on the cheap - and it can allow them to finally get offensive depth if they can make the right deals - nobody would have been talking about the loss of those two guys if the rest of the d-men stayed healthy

It's hard to improve the forward group via free agency - notice the additions to their forward group that made legit impacts were via trade - Hornqvist, Spaling and Perron - the other guys didn't do so much - obviously they need to draft better because they could end up getting better forwards if the drafting improves, otherwise, they'll be continuing to have to give up first round picks to get forwards or signing guys off the scrap heap

This. Caps are sacrificing the last 2ish years on Orpik's contract for what he brings to the table now. He won't be worth what he's payed now at 39/40 and the Caps will be in a bit of a jam and will have to deal with it when it becomes an issue.

RangersReds03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got back from the game, my first playoff game. Had an awesome time, my throat is killing me. Hats off to the Pens especially Fleury, much tighter series than the 4-1 result would indicate.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kapanen should jump into the top six next season, with Hornqvist and Perron already there. Maybe Kunitz is the final winger, maybe he's dealt and Bennett gets a shot. Maybe Dupuis tries another season. But they'll have room to play with the bottom six. Sutter is solid,and a decent value, but the rest can be shuffled around or replaced, so it will be interesting to see what they do, because they need more depth to absorb the inevitable injuries.

I really liked what I saw from Chorney and Doumolin in the playoffs. Lovejoy is fine when he's not asked to play top pair minutes. Scuderi should be gotten rid of in some way, and Pouliot, Maatta, and Letang should be back next year. Cole was impressive. They've got enough options to build a pretty solid top six even with Martin and Ehrhoff walking, and Harrington could also have a positive impact given some maturity and a shot.

Fleury's sound, too, and has been the past two years. The Pens also have good options in the minors in Zatkoff and Murray for backups if they want to go that route. Plenty to play with this offseason. Lots of roster/cap flexibility. They'll be fine. And honestly, I love the way Johnston coaches, and I think he's a big reason the team was in this series beginning to end despite the injury problems and corresponding talent gap. He's got a good system, but he's willing to deviate if it's not working, and I think he gets the game. Give him a healthy, talented roster, and I think he could take it a long way.

Good series, Rangers fans. The Rags will need to get their offense going a lot more than it was against the depleted Pens, but King Henrik looked solid, so he'll cushion any delay there, I imagine. Even so, I'm rooting for the Caps next series (if the Caps move on), and will otherwise just hope everyone (EVERYONE) loses in the Eastern Conference. ;)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think structurally better on defense, but less talented, would be a good description between last year and this.

And yeah the offense was the problem. Offense has been bad for a while now at least a few months. I don't think it's all on not having the correct defensemen, more on the forwards.

I think that's a good description of the defense. There were a lot fewer bad gaffes this season. Fewer super wide open players, basically, early in possessions. But the reduced talent kept them from gathering the puck and exiting the zone as well as they did last season.

Really, I think the fact that they only gave up three more goals this season despite all the very significant injuries on their blue line, both in magnitude of player and duration of injury, is a glowing endorsement of Johnston's system defensively.

3riverbabe

32 flavors & then some
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, 2-1....

...sigh...

:pout:
I wasn't holding out much hope we'd get past the Rags, but it still sucks.

Fleury played his heart out. He deserved better, but he can't score goals.

I can't help but wonder how this series would've turned out if we'd had a healthy D and a healthy Geno. Speaking of whom, now maybe we'll find out what's wrong with him. See you next year!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Kapanen will be the real deal. Spent the year playing pro in Sweden (Finland...? He's a Fin, so maybe that), will be nice addition. They need to have depth up front, certainly, and getting some youth there would be nice. The top six is pretty much set, and the defense will be young next year. The offseason will be building the bottom six, and they'll have flexibility to do it. If they were up against the cap, I'd be worried, but there's a lot of space and spots to fill.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kapanen will be the real deal. Spent the year playing pro in Sweden (Finland...? He's a Fin, so maybe that), will be nice addition. They need to have depth up front, certainly, and getting some youth there would be nice. The top six is pretty much set, and the defense will be young next year. The offseason will be building the bottom six, and they'll have flexibility to do it. If they were up against the cap, I'd be worried, but there's a lot of space and spots to fill.

Interesting.

Just curious from Pittsburgh fans, do you guys think they should trade Malkin?

I know some have mentioned Crosby, but that's insane. But Malkin has missed a significant part of 4 of the last 5 seasons and is often playing through injuries as well. He's downright scary for stretches and then seemingly absent. Just interested to hear what the fans here think of that idea.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.

Just curious from Pittsburgh fans, do you guys think they should trade Malkin?

I know some have mentioned Crosby, but that's insane. But Malkin has missed a significant part of 4 of the last 5 seasons and is often playing through injuries as well. He's downright scary for stretches and then seemingly absent. Just interested to hear what the fans here think of that idea.

It would take an incredible return, and honestly I don't think there'd be a worthy return out there. Not one that another team makes. Generally speaking with trades, I think the winner is whomever gets the best player, and I can't think of a trade where the Pens would win when Geno's going the other way. I think the bigger solution is trying to take advantage of Sutter's good postseason/last week of the year and move him. The guy has value, but not $3.3M value. If they upgrade the third line they'll be in a decent spot. The fourth line in the playoffs was pretty good with Lapierre, but he's not really a great regular season player. I think they could conceivably retool and be in a good/great position. Funny thinking back to those Kesler rumors...that would've been a great pickup in Sutter's place.