• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spurs held players only meeting begging Kawhi to play

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's bad when even your teammates are now asking you to play. It's one thing for an organization or even coaching staff. But your teammates are the most empathetic to your situation. They've been there, they've been injured and know what comes along with that. They also look out for your best interest generally.

For the entire Spurs team to air it out in a meeting to Kawhi, tells me there's something really, really wrong here. Either Kawhi will come back recharged and determined, or he'll come back reluctantly and possibly alienate himself further.

Going to be a real interesting end to the season. For sake of argument, say Kawhi doesn't play at all the rest of the year after their team doctors have cleared him for months. Do you consider moving him? If not for just a fresh start with some additional talent, but might have to do it just for the culture of the organization. The Spurs are not one to coddle to anyone. If they make an exception now, it could all go down hill fast.

Like the Warriors refused to give Steph Curry a no-trade clause in his contract. We all know there is as close to zero percent chance he ever gets dealt as anyone in the league, but they didn't give it to him so they would have a precedent not to have to give it to anyone else in the future.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's bad when even your teammates are now asking you to play. It's one thing for an organization or even coaching staff. But your teammates are the most empathetic to your situation. They've been there, they've been injured and know what comes along with that. They also look out for your best interest generally.

For the entire Spurs team to air it out in a meeting to Kawhi, tells me there's something really, really wrong here. Either Kawhi will come back recharged and determined, or he'll come back reluctantly and possibly alienate himself further.

Going to be a real interesting end to the season. For sake of argument, say Kawhi doesn't play at all the rest of the year after their team doctors have cleared him for months. Do you consider moving him? If not for just a fresh start with some additional talent, but might have to do it just for the culture of the organization. The Spurs are not one to coddle to anyone. If they make an exception now, it could all go down hill fast.

Like the Warriors refused to give Steph Curry a no-trade clause in his contract. We all know there is as close to zero percent chance he ever gets dealt as anyone in the league, but they didn't give it to him so they would have a precedent not to have to give it to anyone else in the future.

I wouldn't give anyone a no trade clause. You can never rule anything out. You never know what can happen with a guy. Things can fall apart and suddenly you could have a chance at a great deal for a quick rebuild... etc... Especially in baseball, I've never understood it.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If true, this is bad.

If I'm a Team like Boston and I get a high draft pick to package with young talent like Brown, Rozier....

I'm calling Pop this Summer.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If true, this is bad.

If I'm a Team like Boston and I get a high draft pick to package with young talent like Brown, Rozier....

I'm calling Pop this Summer.

Brown + a pick would be a good deal.

I would be reluctant to pay much more though. There is a decent chance Kawhi's best days are already behind him. There is something really wrong. Whether it is injury, mental status or just really bad advice from people in his inner circle, Kawhi could be damaged goods.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the end of the Spurs great run could be over. Was a great run but eventually we all knew it had to end.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown + a pick would be a good deal.

I would be reluctant to pay much more though. There is a decent chance Kawhi's best days are already behind him. There is something really wrong. Whether it is injury, mental status or just really bad advice from people in his inner circle, Kawhi could be damaged goods.
As usual, you are spot on.

I am actually shocked that this is happening within the Spurs Organization.

Doesn't matter if it's mental, emotional or physical, I would be apprehensive about making a 200 million dollar investment to this guy.

Maybe that's what Kawhi's people are banking on?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wojo is no Chris Broussard.

So, I'm not sure I'm buying this.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wojo is no Chris Broussard.

So, I'm not sure I'm buying this.

Danny Green is a company man, through and through.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Covington and Fultz for Kawhi? Possibly throw in a pick too.

If you're the 76ers you'd have Embiid, Simmons and Kawhi all locked under contract and a shitload of cap space still to go after another max free agent. Tell Lebron that's who he can play with next year.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Covington and Fultz for Kawhi? Possibly throw in a pick too.

If you're the 76ers you'd have Embiid, Simmons and Kawhi all locked under contract and a shitload of cap space still to go after another max free agent. Tell Lebron that's who he can play with next year.

Think the Sixers would have to include Saric to have a shot, but heck yeah they should do that.

LeBron + Kawhi + Simmons + Embiid = championship(s)

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think the Sixers would have to include Saric to have a shot, but heck yeah they should do that.

LeBron + Kawhi + Simmons + Embiid = championship(s)
Who plays SG?

Not that it really matters. Shit, you could put Jimmer Freddette in and I'm pretty sure that lineup would still be the equivalent of....

the_monstars__space_jum_by_andersiano-d4874vg.jpg

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who plays SG?

Not that it really matters. Shit, you could put Jimmer Freddette in and I'm pretty sure that lineup would still be the equivalent of....

the_monstars__space_jum_by_andersiano-d4874vg.jpg

I'll do it.

Pretty easy job. Just stand in the corner and wait for open shots to come.

Seriously though, I think they could land somebody like Reddick, if not Reddick for cheap to play with those guys.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Woj

Yeah, it's possible that Woj misinterpreted something. But given his track record and the fact that you'd have to expect the Spurs players to downplay the meeting, I believe Woj too.

It's not like the Spurs players are gonna say "Yeah, we had a meeting and asked him why he's being such a pussy". lol

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The local media is laughing their asses. The national media is often quarantined and kept out of the Spurs business. The local guys who spend every waking second with the Spurs emphatically deny this as FAKE NEWS.

The SPURS are notoriously closed lipped.
Always trust the local guys when it comes to the NBA.

2 players have also claimed this story is completel made up bullshit already on the record (Green, Paul).

Woj used to be good, but once he joined ESPN a few months ago. He has been absorbed into the rat race.
ESPN forces you to be FIRST instead of CORRECT.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The local media is laughing their asses. The national media is often quarantined and kept out of the Spurs business. The local guys who spend every waking second with the Spurs emphatically deny this as FAKE NEWS.

The SPURS are notoriously closed lipped.
Always trust the local guys when it comes to the NBA.

2 players have also claimed this story is completel made up bullshit already on the record (Green, Paul).

Woj used to be good, but once he joined ESPN a few months ago. He has been absorbed into the rat race.
ESPN forces you to be FIRST instead of CORRECT.

Yeah....

Sure this meeting never took place to address Kawhi.

Woj just talking out of his ass

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And please don't give me the BS about players on the Spurs saying it is completely made up.

Why would any player on the Spurs admit a players only meeting took place to discuss Kawi Leonard injury.

Use some common sense