• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some random thoughts that may, or may not, connect (figurative or literal) dots. ah hell, take the following with a grain of salt because i'm not sure where i'm going with this. i believe i'll be responding to several of the last posts? that's my intention anyway.

williams and price have been saying variations of the following for 3 years:

"one of the goals we have is to have an athletic team and break down some of the barriers that have existed with roles - eight everyday players, four or five bench players with very specific skill sets. i think we'd like to evolve into a team that has more options for our manager, more flexibility, and i think the same thing could be said about the pitching, having relievers that can go multiple innings and able to face righties and lefties."

"you have to do more with less. you sometimes can't afford the luxury of role players. another is the work we've done on player health. giving everybody enough time for rest and recovery means you're getting away from eight players playing every day and getting to a more flexible lineup where guys are going to be given more rest and recovery time."

i like what they've been saying. it seemingly fits into a 2018 mlb small market team's objective. the problem is: i didn't see any transition toward this kind of approach last year at all. there has to come a point in time when some of these things start coming to fruition. some effort has to be made toward implementing stated goals. doesn't there? i'm not sure that price is the right manager for this job, because it's going to take some experimentation with experiential instinct. i would think that the last few years were perfect time for trying different things, because it's not all about a notebook full of match-up stats. it's about being confident in your decisions that others consider chance or risk. realistically though, there is only one manager in mlb that demonstrates and practices the nature of the above 2 quotes with anything resembling regularity.

the reds have to start operating unconventionally, or non-traditionally, organization wide. for example, why not have dixon and blandino on the od roster. they are 26 and 25 years old now. save some money on gosselin or pennington. i've tired of the argument that veterans handle the challenges of the utility / pinch hitter role better. i simply don't agree with that as it pertains to small market teams because they can only audition lower level vets. no offense meant to gosselin or pennington, but that is what they are. the reds can't afford depth like neil walker. btw, would anybody be surprised to learn that the reds projected opening day starting line-up's (9) combined salary is significantly higher than the yankees opening day starting line-up (10)? that includes the designated hitter. hicks, judge, bird, wade, drury, sanchez, severino are all at, or very near, league minimum. for the record, 3 al east teams were in the top 7 in mlb team era last year (#3 nyy - 3.67). broach any subject you want; but pay attention. the king is dead. the prince is smarter and more thoughtful. also, their farm system is so deep they wouldn't need to sign or trade for anybody else in the next few years unless they want to. now i ask you; doesn't that read exactly like the position a smaller market team should consistently be in? but, what do i know? i'm just a poor slob that eats breakfast cereal out of bags. i am unable to think critically and multi-task, and rely too heavily on facts and reason.

it seems reasonable to assume that having the ability to make deals from a position of 'want,' and not 'need' is where you'd always prefer to be. my dunderheaded position is that any organization is capable of this philosophy, implementation, and execution; whatever the market size is. they just have to shift the parameters differently with keen understanding of separate financial limitations. you know? a 10 year prospectus or business plan. continuity. for god sake, what other business would sacrifice a couple years of success for a decade of failure?

keeping in mind that i'm a big picture scatterbrained idiot; blandino and dixon look near mlb ready to me. dixon has some pop to the gaps. reminds of a young justin turner. blandino has had a very high on base percentage his entire career. i think the reds still see significant upside in shed long as well. i could go on and on about all the reds prospects. i only hope you guys see where i'm going with this. i'm not criticizing as much as presenting possible directions or ways to achieve the mission statement quotes i referenced above. keep the farm system -as john likes to say- churning. make trades early (maximizing take) from the 'want' position. they will be unpopular, but you have to keep your system healthy with prospects. there's more, but this post is already too long.

garrett's fastball has improved from last year. he's going up the ladder more (i hope it's purposeful). his height / downward trajectory makes it more difficult to pick up that bottom of the letters type heat. no way anybody can catch up to that. if they start the swing they're done. that's the kind of stuff hickey teaches in chicago. regardless, garrett's gas (his arm, not his ass) has late life.

i'm going to enjoy watching the reds this year. i don't think the reds lose much with a rotation of bailey, romano, mahle, garrett, and castillo. at the moment, switching out finnegan & desclafani for mahle & garrett doesn't seem like a downgrade to me.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some random thoughts that may, or may not, connect (figurative or literal) dots. ah hell, take the following with a grain of salt because i'm not sure where i'm going with this. i believe i'll be responding to several of the last posts? that's my intention anyway.

williams and price have been saying variations of the following for 3 years:

"one of the goals we have is to have an athletic team and break down some of the barriers that have existed with roles - eight everyday players, four or five bench players with very specific skill sets. i think we'd like to evolve into a team that has more options for our manager, more flexibility, and i think the same thing could be said about the pitching, having relievers that can go multiple innings and able to face righties and lefties."

"you have to do more with less. you sometimes can't afford the luxury of role players. another is the work we've done on player health. giving everybody enough time for rest and recovery means you're getting away from eight players playing every day and getting to a more flexible lineup where guys are going to be given more rest and recovery time."

i like what they've been saying. it seemingly fits into a 2018 mlb small market team's objective. the problem is: i didn't see any transition toward this kind of approach last year at all. there has to come a point in time when some of these things start coming to fruition. some effort has to be made toward implementing stated goals. doesn't there? i'm not sure that price is the right manager for this job, because it's going to take some experimentation with experiential instinct. i would think that the last few years were perfect time for trying different things, because it's not all about a notebook full of match-up stats. it's about being confident in your decisions that others consider chance or risk. realistically though, there is only one manager in mlb that demonstrates and practices the nature of the above 2 quotes with anything resembling regularity.

the reds have to start operating unconventionally, or non-traditionally, organization wide. for example, why not have dixon and blandino on the od roster. they are 26 and 25 years old now. save some money on gosselin or pennington. i've tired of the argument that veterans handle the challenges of the utility / pinch hitter role better. i simply don't agree with that as it pertains to small market teams because they can only audition lower level vets. no offense meant to gosselin or pennington, but that is what they are. the reds can't afford depth like neil walker. btw, would anybody be surprised to learn that the reds projected opening day starting line-up's (9) combined salary is significantly higher than the yankees opening day starting line-up (10)? that includes the designated hitter. hicks, judge, bird, wade, drury, sanchez, severino are all at, or very near, league minimum. for the record, 3 al east teams were in the top 7 in mlb team era last year (#3 nyy - 3.67). broach any subject you want; but pay attention. the king is dead. the prince is smarter and more thoughtful. also, their farm system is so deep they wouldn't need to sign or trade for anybody else in the next few years unless they want to. now i ask you; doesn't that read exactly like the position a smaller market team should consistently be in? but, what do i know? i'm just a poor slob that eats breakfast cereal out of bags. i am unable to think critically and multi-task, and rely too heavily on facts and reason.

it seems reasonable to assume that having the ability to make deals from a position of 'want,' and not 'need' is where you'd always prefer to be. my dunderheaded position is that any organization is capable of this philosophy, implementation, and execution; whatever the market size is. they just have to shift the parameters differently with keen understanding of separate financial limitations. you know? a 10 year prospectus or business plan. continuity. for god sake, what other business would sacrifice a couple years of success for a decade of failure?

keeping in mind that i'm a big picture scatterbrained idiot; blandino and dixon look near mlb ready to me. dixon has some pop to the gaps. reminds of a young justin turner. blandino has had a very high on base percentage his entire career. i think the reds still see significant upside in shed long as well. i could go on and on about all the reds prospects. i only hope you guys see where i'm going with this. i'm not criticizing as much as presenting possible directions or ways to achieve the mission statement quotes i referenced above. keep the farm system -as john likes to say- churning. make trades early (maximizing take) from the 'want' position. they will be unpopular, but you have to keep your system healthy with prospects. there's more, but this post is already too long.

garrett's fastball has improved from last year. he's going up the ladder more (i hope it's purposeful). his height / downward trajectory makes it more difficult to pick up that bottom of the letters type heat. no way anybody can catch up to that. if they start the swing they're done. that's the kind of stuff hickey teaches in chicago. regardless, garrett's gas (his arm, not his ass) has late life.

i'm going to enjoy watching the reds this year. i don't think the reds lose much with a rotation of bailey, romano, mahle, garrett, and castillo. at the moment, switching out finnegan & desclafani for mahle & garrett doesn't seem like a downgrade to me.
I absorbed a lot of what you've included here and I agree that the front office seems resigned to the fact that some of the second-tier players, by nature of not having been "there," are automatically less qualified to hold positions on the big club. I agree on Dixon, can't say for sure on Blandino. He represents the point, so I will agree to go with him as well. Both have brought a glove to camp, which is a nice component.
I think this outfit has gotten its hand bitten by the snake too many times with its pitching and seems intent on fixing that problem by hook or crook. Pretending that No. 5 pitchers are really No. 3 pitchers is a fool's errand, but it's also a variable that you never know when a Jose Rijo is going to show up, or when a Shelby Miller will hit the wall. I would love to see Garrett kick somebody to the curb this spring. He seems confident he can do that.
The idea of an unconventional bullpen seemed like a promise to me that wasn't kept because ... well, the excuse was, the rotation unraveled. The idea of an unconventional bench seemed like a real easy promise to keep. But finding spare infielders who can, on any given day, play "a corner outfield spot" is really still just guys who are -- I assume -- WAR-0 players.
I look at a guy named David Peralta, who is with the D-Backs. I recall seeing this guy play right field for the Wichita Wingnuts in the American Association about 5 years ago. He got signed and was given a chance to play.
I don't know what that means but if the Reds are signing guys whose career is going to ceiling out at being the last guys cut from the spring roster, then independent baseball has a very bright future.
As far as "wants" inside the organization, I would think that these guys need to put a foot forward and stop pretending the rebuild is going to take a little longer now because Disco can't pitch. Really, it's time to decide if you want to find a pitcher or pretend you have one. The guy is going to give Price 120 innings this year. Hell, a middle reliever will give you 90.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit of a surprise that Stephenson was optioned out. I think this is probably the end of the line for him.
Dunno if I'd call it a wasted No. 1 pick or not.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't either john. he's a frustrating prospect with seemingly all the raw talent to become a good mlb pitcher. i don't think he has ever been seriously injured or spent any time on the dl. he was drafted in 2011. he's been pitching in the red's system for 6 years. he hasn't pitched more than 130 innings in a season. i don't think he ever developed a third pitch that is consistent and can be thrown in any count. i know i sound like a broken record, but mlb starters must have a viable off-speed pitch. mahle didn't have his best stuff last time out, but -from what i saw- he was able to keep the padre hitters off balance with his change. in fact, he k'd three or four hitters with it. that's the advantage of having 4 or 5 pitches to work with. you can pitch without your best stuff and still keep your team in the game. actually, i guess that's the very definition of a great pitcher. stephenson? he appears to lack maturity. you know? sometimes you have to stand up, take your lumps, and learn from it. it's not how you fall bobby, it's how you get up. 6 years in the reds system. let me put it another way; six years in the reds system. if hunter greene takes this long, i may very well be dead. that's not hyperbole.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
're-build' and 'all-in.' the two softest and stupidest phrases in the history of mlb. nobody ever asks,

--"why did you let yourself get to the point where you had to rebuild? why would you let the infrastructure deteriorate to that point, without proper maintenance? with all due respect, it seems more like a tear down. records show that you used the lowest bidding demolition company, that has a history of cutting corners. sir sir? i also understand -according to (re)building inspectors- the construction co. did not use the correct weight bearing & allowance formulas. apparently, they completely miscalculated all load bearing anchor beam capacity. i also have some questions concerning the concrete co."

-------------"uh, der, mmm ffftt becog uh weest uh-wenst owl-een? mah hed hertz."

--so, you didn't have a strategy to stay viable during contractual attrition transitional years to lessen the length of non-competitiveness.

****"jesus christ son! that's way too many words. please keep your questions in the form of monosyllabic grunts and groans. facial tics and arm flailing would be ok too."

--"yeah, i've seen a lot of that in the stands at the ballpark lately."

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, yes ... the rebuild.

I never really bought the concept, saying to anyone who asked: You really are just changing personnel with regard to the financial constraints of an organization that put a salary cap on a process where one doesn't otherwise exist. It's like putting a governor on your car and pretending you can compete in the Indy 500 where the rest of the drivers have unlimited HP.

The last time the Reds were truly good was 2012 and that was the product of the fortune of having 5 durable starters who went out there every rotation turn. Until Cueto pulled the oblique, the Reds did not need to find any pitching help. That good luck also meant they probably believed they didn't need to find any pitching help.

So they didn't get any. Two years later, they had no pitching.

I don't know who to blame for that, other than putting my hand under the pillow last month after I had a tooth pulled ... and not finding a nickel.

The changes in the roster that happened after 2012 were not terrible. That team should have stayed afloat. Swapping out Rolen for Frazier, Choo for Stubbs, The Mormon Church Choir for Ludwick and Mesoraco for Clutch Man Monie Hernandez ...

And Dusty for Price ... all I know is, Dusty was winning divisions and losing in the playoffs, not good enough. Price is finishing last every year and telling us the team is rebuilding, apparently good enough.

I try not to make many assumptions, but I am pretty warm to making this one.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As expected on the OD starter -- Homer.
I see the Reds essentially cut Ben Revere. No surprise this year. Other years, maybe.
Price seems to think he will go FA.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beyond the pomp and circumstance of OD it's just another game in a long season, but I'd rather see a guy starting that earned the honor. Homer no more deserves to pitch OD than he deserves the $100M he's guaranteed. The guy only struck out 9 batters while allowing 7 HR's. That's a pretty good indication the guy ain't fooling anyone except Bryan Price.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine Homer will go 3 innings anyhow.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on the temperature and how the game goes I might only go 3 myself.

I hope Homer pitches better than he's shown in Arizona.

It's easy to dismiss ST stats for veterans, but Homer has yet to regain his form. I haven't seen him consistently command his slider or splitter.

A couple losing months to begin the season and Bryan Price may find himself dismissed.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't surprised to see the club option Bob Stephenson to AAA. He earned the demotion and then some. When DW or anyone else representing the Reds talk about pitching he's sometimes not mentioned at all or at the end like he's an afterthought. The guy has been a cautionary tale to the perils of selecting HS pitchers early in the draft. Sal Romano was drafted the same year out of HS, but was a 23rd round selection. There were nearly 700 players chosen between those two and 6 years later you'd never know. In all fairness to the Reds Stephenson was considered a bottom third first round talent when selected, so a lot so called baseball experts didn't know the difference either.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some teams are better than others in judging talent, but probably after the 1st 10 to 20 picks it has more to do with luck than anything else. Votto was the 44th pick over all in 2002, Barnhart was a steal at 299 over all in 2009 Mesoraco was 15th in 2007.

These are position player. I would think that pitchers would even be harder to judge

My point is you just never know for sure what a player is going to do.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some teams are better than others in judging talent, but probably after the 1st 10 to 20 picks it has more to do with luck than anything else. Votto was the 44th pick over all in 2002, Barnhart was a steal at 299 over all in 2009 Mesoraco was 15th in 2007.

These are position player. I would think that pitchers would even be harder to judge

My point is you just never know for sure what a player is going to do.
I think all pitchers who are drafted in the top 4 or 5 rounds are big, strong and hard throwers. Scouts all think they can turn Clayton Bradshaw into Clayton Kershaw because they are grizzled old veterans who know their favorite ba-dass pitching coach who will turn the flab into meat.

Stephenson is as good at being in the 4th round as in the 1st round. The curious part of it is that the guy had to have an idea what he needed to do to win the golden egg. He might still get it but it's likely just that he has the wrong body to mature into an ace pitcher. Hands too small, neck too big ... shit you can't coach.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goose is playing a little LF. He has played 7 games in the OF.
I assume he's going to make the 25-man roster.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Penny has made the team. Gotta love that veteran clubhouse presence because well, young guys don't know how to function without those experienced .228 hitters on the roster.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now they are not Cruz was sent to the minors today or sometime yesterday. Just about the time that article, that we both read came out. I guess some writer had to write something

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No point speculating now on the roster. Sounds like everything is in place except the pieces on the chessboard.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping Penny, Gosselin, Quacker, and if Worley is added means there's a pretty big shakeup looming on the 40 man roster. If you think about it from the human side of things I'd imagine it's an emotional roller coaster for these guys clinging to a roster spot.

They also claimed Justin Nicolino off waivers. They may try and DFA Nicolino and outright him. They haven't had much success with that strategy this offseason. Every time they've tried some other team claims the player.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how keeping a redundancy in Penny and Goose benefits the roster.
Worley is another of those fabled "innings eaters" we like to discuss while our ace Desclafani recovers from still another case of pitching inability.