• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sportshoopla Top 25 Discussion thread

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is ranking Shaw over Harbaugh absurd?

Harbaugh has never won a conference championship at the FBS level. Shaw has won 3 Pac 12 titles. All you hear is what Harbaugh has the potential to do, but at some point, he's gonna have to get some kind of hardware to justify his spot on the coaches rankings. You know, actual results do matter.

Harbaugh has never stepped into a situation like Shaw. Stanford was 1-11 and one of the worst teams in CFB when Harbaugh took over. Shaw took over a 12-1 team with a loaded roster.

At UM -- he took over a team who won 5 games the year before he took over. It is year 3, and while I'm not overly excited about 2018 as we have so many new starters. 2019 and beyond we will be loaded every year.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh has never stepped into a situation like Shaw. Stanford was 1-11 and one of the worst teams in CFB when Harbaugh took over. Shaw took over a 12-1 team with a loaded roster.

At UM -- he took over a team who won 5 games the year before he took over. It is year 3, and while I'm not overly excited about 2018 as we have so many new starters. 2019 and beyond we will be loaded every year.

I'd probably rank Harbaugh over Shaw if I were ranking coaches, but saying it's absurd to rank Shaw of Harbaugh is ridiculous.

Almost as ridiculous as these coach rankings you see that rank Harbaugh over Dabo.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So Harbaugh inherits a team that had the most players drafted this year, and he didn't walk into a good situation? I realize the team wasn't winning before Harbaugh took over, but last year should be seen as a major disappointment. Also, I don't understand the people who want to minimize what Shaw's done just because he walked into a good situation. I mean we're going into year 7 since Harbaugh.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably rank Harbaugh over Shaw if I were ranking coaches, but saying it's absurd to rank Shaw of Harbaugh is ridiculous.

Almost as ridiculous as these coach rankings you see that rank Harbaugh over Dabo.

Harbaugh is literally turning into Bo Schembechler.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Harbaugh inherits a team that had the most players drafted this year, and he didn't walk into a good situation? I realize the team wasn't winning before Harbaugh took over, but last year should be seen as a major disappointment. Also, I don't understand the people who want to minimize what Shaw's done just because he walked into a good situation. I mean we're going into year 7 since Harbaugh.

No doubt last year was a disappointment. It wasn't the players drafted that killed the season though. It was the QB.

The defense gave up next to nothing against Iowa and OSU. We lost both games. After Speight took the hit that injured his shoulder against Iowa -- he was horrendous. Michigan gave up 3 points in regulation to OSU and lost.

And it is year 3 for Harbaugh, with it only being his 2nd recruiting class at Michigan, not year 7.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt last year was a disappointment. It wasn't the players drafted that killed the season though. It was the QB.

The defense gave up next to nothing against Iowa and OSU. We lost both games. After Speight took the hit that injured his shoulder against Iowa -- he was horrendous. Michigan gave up 3 points in regulation to OSU and lost.

And it is year 3 for Harbaugh, with it only being his 2nd recruiting class at Michigan, not year 7.

Year 7 since Harbaugh left Stanford. I realize Harbaugh is going into year 3 at Michigan. And now so more than ever freshman and red shirt freshman QB's are starting, at this point if he has shitty play out of that position it's on Harbaugh.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Year 7 since Harbaugh left Stanford. I realize Harbaugh is going into year 3 at Michigan. And now so more than ever freshman and red shirt freshman QB's are starting, at this point if he has shitty play out of that position it's on Harbaugh.

Oh I agree. I said from the beginning, we won't know how good UM can be until Harbaugh got one of his own QB's under center. This is the first year one even has a chance to win the job. Brandon Peters looked great in the spring game, but it isn't game experience.

2019 is honestly the year I'm looking forward to. He will have three full recruiting classes in house and there will be no excuses left. Right now, I see winning 10 games the last two years as an accomplishment. After this year, a 10 win season will be seen as a failure.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Auburn
2. Washington
3. Penn St
4. Ohio St
5. Oklahoma
6. Georgia
7. Florida St
8. Alabama
9. Oklahoma St
10. NC State
11. Texas
12. Wisconsin
13. TCU
14. Tennessee
15. USC
16. Stanford
17. Florida
18. Northwestern
19. Miami
20. LSU
21. Washington St
22. Oregon
23. Kentucky
24. Louisville
25. Clemson

Next 10
UCLA, USF, South Carolina, Memphis, Missouri, Michigan, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, and Wake Forest.

These are formula rankings based on team talent (recruiting rankings), returning players (2 deep), and last seasons success. I hate preseason rankings so I just do this until game start getting played. Don't shoot the messenger.
pitt is #36 right!

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pitt is #36 right!
clockwork-orange-tramp-beating.gif

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is ranking Shaw over Harbaugh absurd?

Harbaugh has never won a conference championship at the FBS level. Shaw has won 3 Pac 12 titles. All you hear is what Harbaugh has the potential to do, but at some point, he's gonna have to get some kind of hardware to justify his spot on the coaches rankings. You know, actual results do matter.
With all due respect, Shaw isn't where he is without Harbaugh, and don't give me the "Well you don't know that Shaw wouldn't have also resurrected Stanford". I think Harbaugh is overrated in a lot of ways, but you can't say enough about what he did there. He gave Shaw the keys and all he's had to do is not wreck it. Harbaugh would've won those conference titles himself if he was there, too.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all due respect, Shaw isn't where he is without Harbaugh, and don't give me the "Well you don't know that Shaw wouldn't have also resurrected Stanford". I think Harbaugh is overrated in a lot of ways, but you can't say enough about what he did there. He gave Shaw the keys and all he's had to do is not wreck it. Harbaugh would've won those conference titles himself if he was there, too.

But the fact is, Harbaugh wasn't there, and the fact is Harbaugh has never won a conference title. I'd rank Harbaugh over Shaw, but to claim ranking Shaw over Harbaugh is absurd is an absurd statement in itself.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the fact is, Harbaugh wasn't there, and the fact is Harbaugh has never won a conference title. I'd rank Harbaugh over Shaw, but to claim ranking Shaw over Harbaugh is absurd is an absurd statement in itself.
I disagree, wholeheartedly. As annoying as it is, he wasn't there because he was coaching in the pros and winning there. It doesn't mean he's all of the sudden on Saban or Meyer's level, but he's definitely ahead of Shaw. Do you honestly think if Harbaugh hadn't left, Stanford wouldn't have won those conference titles? The fact is Harbaugh wasn't there, and the fact is Shaw never had to build Stanford from the cellar to the top.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, wholeheartedly. As annoying as it is, he wasn't there because he was coaching in the pros and winning there. It doesn't mean he's all of the sudden on Saban or Meyer's level, but he's definitely ahead of Shaw. Do you honestly think if Harbaugh hadn't left, Stanford wouldn't have won those conference titles? The fact is Harbaugh wasn't there, and the fact is Shaw never had to build Stanford from the cellar to the top.

What Harbaugh did in the pros has absolutely zero bearing on where he ranks as a college coach, and FWIW, he left San Fran with a divided locker room and burned that bridge. Maybe Stanford would have won those Conference titles, we'll never know. Hypotheticals and potential are great an all, but Harbaugh needs some hardware.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Harbaugh did in the pros has absolutely zero bearing on where he ranks as a college coach, and FWIW, he left San Fran with a divided locker room and burned that bridge. Maybe Stanford would have won those Conference titles, we'll never know. Hypotheticals and potential are great an all, but Harbaugh needs some hardware.
Hardware is also nice when it's pretty much handed to you by your mentor. Keep in mind, those first two conference titles were won largely with Harbaugh's kids.