• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sous Vide Cooking

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a Sous Vide this Christmas and I am wondering if anyone has one and has used it to cook eggs. I had some pretty terrible results, but I am curious if I went about it wrong. I was shooting for soft boiled and set the temp to 158. The yolk was perfect, but the white was disgustingly under cooked.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Food Lab's Guide to Slow-Cooked, Sous Vide-Style Eggs

Kenji lopez alt. He's my favorite food scientist type chef, sort of like cooks country on PBS or what Alton Brown used to be on food network. He'll give the science behind stuff and test things via scientific method with standard variables and repeatable testing and whatnot. I tend to google his name, and then whatever it is I want to cook. He doesn't always give you exact recipes, but some great guidelines.

For your actual question though, I just got a sous vide precision cooker myself and was going to try some eggs the other day, but wanted my first use to be steaks. And we just did prine rib on riddtmas, so waiting a few says still.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to google this.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Food Lab's Guide to Slow-Cooked, Sous Vide-Style Eggs

Kenji lopez alt. He's my favorite food scientist type chef, sort of like cooks country on PBS or what Alton Brown used to be on food network. He'll give the science behind stuff and test things via scientific method with standard variables and repeatable testing and whatnot. I tend to google his name, and then whatever it is I want to cook. He doesn't always give you exact recipes, but some great guidelines.

For your actual question though, I just got a sous vide precision cooker myself and was going to try some eggs the other day, but wanted my first use to be steaks. And we just did prine rib on riddtmas, so waiting a few says still.

From what I have seen from my tests is the temp you set for over easy will always come with runnier egg whites then are preferred. Reading more about it a lot of chefs seem to set the sous vide to 169 and cook it for 13 minutes. Which worked great, but that is really not better then bringing water to a boil and finding the time that it takes based on your elevation. It would be faster as well. I will stick to cooking meat with it. I finish steaks I cook with it using a searzall. I love it.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I have seen from my tests is the temp you set for over easy will always come with runnier egg whites then are preferred. Reading more about it a lot of chefs seem to set the sous vide to 169 and cook it for 13 minutes. Which worked great, but that is really not better then bringing water to a boil and finding the time that it takes based on your elevation. It would be faster as well. I will stick to cooking meat with it. I finish steaks I cook with it using a searzall. I love it.

Did some NY strips on it last night. Worked great. They came out slimier and more soft feeling like they would rip than I had expected. I admit I had a moment of panic. But threw them on a super hot grill for just long enough to crisp up the outside and they were pretty much perfect.

They weren't anything I couldn't have done myself just on the grill. Maybe a slightly larger expanse of red and juicy and a smaller grey cooked area. Slightly. But a lot more consistent than me grilling. Especially a large order when i cook for large groups

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ziploc'd 4 individual steaks and froze them, then filled my container with those and about 50% ice mixed with 50% water. Started the sous vide from work via WiFi.

Got home, emptied all the meat juice into a pan and added sliced mushrooms and butter. Started the grill and threw a bundle of asparagus on there with some olive oil and lemon juice. Once the grill got hot seared the steaks on there, and some garlic bread. Added sauce and shrooms.

Start to finish I had a full meal for me and my brothers done in less than 15 minutes of walking in the door. And it was amazing.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a Sous Vide this Christmas and I am wondering if anyone has one and has used it to cook eggs. I had some pretty terrible results, but I am curious if I went about it wrong. I was shooting for soft boiled and set the temp to 158. The yolk was perfect, but the white was disgustingly under cooked.
It's so funny, I came here to post this exact thing. Got one for x-mas and just got the plastic container today to do the cooking in. Currently have it heating up and I'm going to try some ribeye tonight for the first thing I'm cooking in it.

I don't think they've done eggs, but I've been watching this YouTube channel for about a year now (before I actually got the cooker) and they have done some pretty good videos on the basics of cooking many things:
Sous Vide Everything

I think the beef cuts seem like the ideal thing for these cookers. Anyway, I'm pretty excited and I'll post again later with the results. Maybe pictures if it turns out well.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so funny, I came here to post this exact thing. Got one for x-mas and just got the plastic container today to do the cooking in. Currently have it heating up and I'm going to try some ribeye tonight for the first thing I'm cooking in it.

I don't think they've done eggs, but I've been watching this YouTube channel for about a year now (before I actually got the cooker) and they have done some pretty good videos on the basics of cooking many things:
Sous Vide Everything

I think the beef cuts seem like the ideal thing for these cookers. Anyway, I'm pretty excited and I'll post again later with the results. Maybe pictures if it turns out well.

Update: It turned out well. This was at 132 degrees for 2 hours. But I Think I'll take it down to maybe 130 next time to get it a little more medium rare. I also didn't have the pan hot enough on the sear so it cooked a little deeper into the meat than I wanted along the edges. But overall it was great.

26730952_10104560376860314_5259336934245540154_n.jpg