• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sounds like its about to hit the fan

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting comment from Kelly's practice presser today, he hasn't been told that any other players are being investigated. Hope that remains true.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a good chance that this story turns out to not be as big as some of the Notre Dame haters are trying to make it out to be.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
purguy, stop being a drama queen

blog+drama.jpg

couldn't resist.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take this with the utmost grains of salt and treat it nothing but internet rumors right now ("I got a friend close to the university that says..." Kinda stuff) but someone posted on 247.sports that K. Russell and I. Williams could be cleared of wrongdoing and as early as Monday.

I personally am not buying it for a number of reasons. First, timing in relationship to the PC where they stressed letting the investigation lead them where it goes and by the end of the weekend,two of the four suspected are cleared? Second. The "source" was a public ND Facebook Fan page and was taken down a few hours later (just long enough to saturate the internet). Third, the only one of the four implicated so far to make any type of comment was Davaris Daniels. If he is to be believed, I would think he has the inside track to being cleared. Why risk being branded a liar too? This one doesn't pass the smell test, and it reeks of the type of out of control rumors flying around on Friday.

Still though, wouldn't it be cool if it were?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way ND officials would of made this public if they didn't have proof.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way ND officials would of made this public if they didn't have proof.

That's not necessarily the case. These names were already out there in press reports before the school confirmed it. It didn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure it out when they weren't spotted at practice either. That said, the academic advisor notified the school on July 29, and the school's general counsel began investigating. Kelly was notified Thurs evening about it for the first time, so they were digging for 2 weeks before deciding to hold them out, sounds like they found something significant enough to act on, including notifying the NCAA. This story only broke after the NCAA was notified so no doubt where the leak came from.

In the end, I agree, the internet rumors are just that.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swarbrick's comments on Mike & Mike this morning have me feeling at least optimistic that this isn't the worst case doom and gloom scenarios being talked about on Friday. First, this investigation does not involve the athletic dept at all. No tutor or advisor appears to be involved. It is purely a student to student matter. So far nothing appears to be of the institutional failure that would trigger NCAA sanctions. Student athletes involved are being held out for potential eligibility issues. They will be out as long as investigation takes and there is no timetable for it being done. They've reviewed thousands of emails. Only interviewed the four for the first time on Friday. Interviewed by provost's office.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for the update

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, biggest blow hands down is Russell. Who else is gonna crack Agholor's ribs? :whistle:

But on top of everything else, what a freaking distraction. Was actually looking forward to being pleasantly surprised, even though they have a very tough schedule on paper. Now losing some key guys and the media crapstorm that will follow, just kinda feel disinterested all of the sudden. Here's hoping the coaches and players don't share my sentiments.

That was a good hit. lol

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More to update. Davaris Daniels' father was on a Chicago radio station discussing the issue. I guess Davaris' story is he had Keivare Russell's girlfriend proofread the papers. She more than likely was doing this for Keivare as well. This of course assumes Davaris or his dad are telling the truth or what they consider "proof reading". Assuming this to be true, and assuming proof reading was nothing more than helping editing this all seems much ado about nothing. Of course, would need to see how far back this goes, how many times and to what extent they were being helped

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More to update. Davaris Daniels' father was on a Chicago radio station discussing the issue. I guess Davaris' story is he had Keivare Russell's girlfriend proofread the papers. She more than likely was doing this for Keivare as well. This of course assumes Davaris or his dad are telling the truth or what they consider "proof reading". Assuming this to be true, and assuming proof reading was nothing more than helping editing this all seems much ado about nothing. Of course, would need to see how far back this goes, how many times and to what extent they were being helped

Proof reading? My guess is that we don't suspend 4 players, and talk about vacating wins because of someone "proof reading" a few papers. I hope this comes down to a few suspensions, maybe even a few games, but I expect these four to be gone. I know Kelly says there aren't any other players involved, but I doubt he knows the extent of the investigation. I hope I'm wrong, but I tend to be a pessimist on stuff like this.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proof reading? My guess is that we don't suspend 4 players, and talk about vacating wins because of someone "proof reading" a few papers. I hope this comes down to a few suspensions, maybe even a few games, but I expect these four to be gone. I know Kelly says there aren't any other players involved, but I doubt he knows the extent of the investigation. I hope I'm wrong, but I tend to be a pessimist on stuff like this.

Time will tell if others are indeed involoved, but Swarbrick's comments today and Philip Daniels' statements do tend to make it sound less likely that this was an institutional thing where the whole team was having its papers written for it. Kelly wouldn't know because he's pretty much out of the loop as far as the investigation goes. He'd only be informed if the investigation turns anything up, but Swarbrick said he can't characterize this as going beyond these four players right now and, even though he's not part of the investigation, he feels "confident" that this is not a larger institutional issue. Who knows what will turn up but this all seems to have an air of being overblown. I think ND just did a lot of pre-emptive manuevering once the story broke so as to look as much as possible like its NOT covering anything up, because as is often the case with these instances, the coverup is often worse than the crime. Also, ND, as a brand, has to be able to sell that it takes academics seriously and as much as the narrative is trying to get out that "its just another big time football school" they are showing that they are taking this very seriously, even if it turns out to be relatively minor, or, more severe, but isolated to these four players, or, if it turns out somethign worse, then they are ahead of the curve.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im just really confused about this situation. No way ND makes a big deal about this if it was just proof reading. They have to have some real evidence. U don't kill kids college careers over proof reading papers. Has to me more to the story. If this ends up being false wouldn't shock me if these 4 sue ND for this situation.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe ND launched an investigation to delete everything on the four players computers and then will say they found no wrong doing. This way the NCAA will not find anything if they decide to launch their own investigation. You never know with college athletics and I like conspiracy theories.