• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sooner's OOC

SoonerAlum

Oklahoman By Choice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10: Toughest non-conference schedules of 2013 - CBSSports.com

With Louisiana-Monroe being the weakest of the three, CBS rates OU's schedule as the toughest without any real cupcakes.

What I DO find worth a chuckle is, because it's CBS, they have to include a couple SEC teams. First they list Florida because they play FSU and...Miami (which CBS lists as much improved over last year) and Toledo and a "really good FCS team in Georgia Southern". Granted they rank Florida at 8th but still...

Then USCe gets thrown in there in a four way tie for 10th. The Gamecocks play UNC, Central Florida, Coastal Carolina and finally Clemson.

Really? I don't know what counts as a cupcake these days but I think FCS teams in the forms of Georgia Southern and Coastal Carolina fall into that category in my book. Is it the fact that CBS has to pump up the SEC or is it the fact that very few teams out there schedule decently in out of conference games?

:wtf2:

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10: Toughest non-conference schedules of 2013 - CBSSports.com

With Louisiana-Monroe being the weakest of the three, CBS rates OU's schedule as the toughest without any real cupcakes.

What I DO find worth a chuckle is, because it's CBS, they have to include a couple SEC teams. First they list Florida because they play FSU and...Miami (which CBS lists as much improved over last year) and Toledo and a "really good FCS team in Georgia Southern". Granted they rank Florida at 8th but still...

Then USCe gets thrown in there in a four way tie for 10th. The Gamecocks play UNC, Central Florida, Coastal Carolina and finally Clemson.

Really? I don't know what counts as a cupcake these days but I think FCS teams in the forms of Georgia Southern and Coastal Carolina fall into that category in my book. Is it the fact that CBS has to pump up the SEC or is it the fact that very few teams out there schedule decently in out of conference games?

:wtf2:

I'll give Southern Miss a pass.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take it to mean that a C-USA team having one of the toughest OOC schedules is kind of pointless since they will have an easy conference schedule. But what do I know. Just the way I read it.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU always seems to get a bit lucky with the schedule bragging rights.
I have no idea why the Sooners get so lucky...and Texas always seems to have bad luck.

Oklahoma scheduled the 6-6 Notre Dame team in 2009. They get the 12-1 team.
Oklahoma scheduled the 5-7 LA-Monroe team in 2010. They get the 8-5 team.
Oklahoma scheduled the 5-7 Tulsa team in 2009. They get the 11-3 team.

Oklahoma scheduled a combined 16-20 slate.
They end up playing teams with 31-9 record instead.

Texas scheduled the 11-2 BYU Cougars in 2009, They get the 8-5 BYU team.
Texas scheduled the 9-4 Ole Miss Rebels in 2009, They get the 6-6 Ole Miss team.
Texas scheduled the 2-10 NMSU Ags in 2010, They get the 1-11 Aggie team.

Texas scheduled a combined 22-16 slate.
They end up playing teams with a 15-22 record instead.

SoonerAlum

Oklahoman By Choice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southern Miss

I understand that Neb-Ark-BSU is rough but playing Texas State is...well, it's Texas State

7NationalChampionships

SportsHoopla Top 10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tulsa and OU play each other every few years. I was at the game in Norman a few years ago when Landry broke the single game TD record. It was a hot sum bitch, It was a 2:30 kick off and we had been tailgating since about 9 am that morning lol. Good times.

SoonerAlum

Oklahoman By Choice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stuff happens, Horns. Luck does take a good sized roll in this, true. But Notre Dame is a name and you schedule a name, you get some automatic credit. Look at Florida, getting credit for Miami although they've not been great in recent years. Getting credit for FSU through thick and thin...It helps to schedule the right people.

OU's got Tennessee on the schedule in 2014 and 15. Then tOSU. Then LSU. It will matter, but not much, if those teams go in the toilet this year and are still there when OU plays them. It's because of the name, sometimes. Of course with Louisiana Monroe and Tulsa, it helps they had a good year last year. And Tulsa has been a regular in its conference championship game. So...

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southern Miss has the scariest non con i've ever seen for a team that went 0-12 a season ago.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida in #7... that has to piss some posters off since we hear non-stop how weak our OOC schedule is...

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southern Miss doesnt' have the annual OOC tie-ins like the others. Clemson gets SC, Florida gets Florida St. Southern Miss has a more legit OOC than any other SEC school with a perceptibly challenging one.

Still don't see many trips across the river though...