• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Something Wrong in Tuscaloosa..

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally, I don't feel bad for the athletes. They are rewarded with schollys and perks. Now when coaches are making 11M per year, I start to cringe. My issue is that I think that athletic programs should help support the school and not just the athletic department. Just take half of Saban's salary and put it to work for education. That could be tuition for 5,500 Alabama students. That could be $55,000 for each player on the team if you wanted to play the players.

Should the NCAA put a salary cap on coaches? There is lots of money available for P5 schools and it gets spent on coaches and sports facilities. This is an arms race and as long as the money is there, it will be spent. Is it really being spent in the right places?
I am torn on the issue of coaches salaries, there are a lot of things to think about. First and foremost, at MOST schools, the schools are NOT paying the coach, their version of our MAC is paying them. Next, what kind of cap, and at what level? A coach is really the CEO of a big company. Should all coaches be paid equally? Is Saban worth more than coach X? Coaching at one of the blue bloods is a completely different job than coaching at a second tier school, ask Fraud his thoughts on that issue. I am a true capitalist, let the market decide. If there is a cap put in place, the Alabamas, Michigans, Ohio States of the world will find a way to exploit it, through annuities or lifetime deals or something. At the end of the day, a coach who can put up with the politics at one of the blue bloods and succeed deserves to be paid well, and as long as we watch CFB on TV, and donors keep donating, the salaries will go up.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry boys...I gotta agree with ol' Pap here. They get more than just 10K in tuition. If you add up everything else like room, board, etc, it far exceeds $5/hr as Slaton stated. As someone who will be paying back student loans for a LONG time, I can't feel sorry for them.

Okay everything added up lets say for the sake of argument..double what I said...so they make 10.00 per hour or 15.00 call it what you want....versus say a Tom Brady or someone of that longevity in the the league that makes a million dollars plus per GAME!!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SCHOOL IS NOT A JOB!!!! college football is NOT a job, it is a game. What Saban, or any other coach is making has nothing to do with it, these are kids, playing an extracurricular game, NOT employees!! They are learning a skill, be it in pro football or a regular job later on. You say $10,000 a year, it is MUCH more than that. A college graduate earns about $1,000,000 more in their lifetime than a HS graduate.
Research Summary: Education and Lifetime Earnings
How many of these kids would be even in a discussion about a college education without that football scholarship? How many kids from inner cities would be dead or working dead end jobs without Saban making money "on their backs"? These kids are being given the opportunity of a lifetime because they are gifted at playing a game!

Athletics departments that make more than they spend still a minority
I guess 80% of ADs need to be fired then......

You're right...school is not a job if that is all you're there for...Athletes in revenue generating sports are in a different category...period

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SCHOOL IS NOT A JOB!!!! college football is NOT a job, it is a game. What Saban, or any other coach is making has nothing to do with it, these are kids, playing an extracurricular game, NOT employees!! They are learning a skill, be it in pro football or a regular job later on. You say $10,000 a year, it is MUCH more than that. A college graduate earns about $1,000,000 more in their lifetime than a HS graduate.
Research Summary: Education and Lifetime Earnings
How many of these kids would be even in a discussion about a college education without that football scholarship? How many kids from inner cities would be dead or working dead end jobs without Saban making money "on their backs"? These kids are being given the opportunity of a lifetime because they are gifted at playing a game!

Athletics departments that make more than they spend still a minority
I guess 80% of ADs need to be fired then......

Well these AD's should be fired for sure if they are not making money!

The 25 schools that make the most money in college sports

And BTW DAD those old numbers you posted are completely in the rear view...here is the latest and greatest.........................and keep in mind some of this is BS becuase its written into some schools charters that they have to show they have spent their entire budget or they potentially have to return monies to the SCHOOL or STATE! to ANOTHERS point..

USA TODAY Sports

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For years, student athletes have been awarded scholarships. This scholarship does not cover all of their expenses. In the past, scholarship athletes were permitted to work during the off-season. As most of us know, many of these players received large amounts of money, and rarely showed up for work. The NCAA took this away from student athletes.

Before stipends were permitted, many scholarship athletes were forced to take student loans to cover their expenses.

In Division I sports, you are an athlete first.... a student second. You have to be fully committed to your sport.

PhD students earn money while working on their degrees. The average graduate student earns $28,000 as well as full tuition waivers.