• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Something I've been thinking about

Big Z 1990

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 2020, another Power 5 school, Colorado, will end its annual series with Colorado State.

Notre Dame is one of the only other Power 5 schools playing an annual game against a Group of 5 opponent (not including games against other independents) - Navy, a member of the American.

Now if the American were to lose a number of its more prominent members to Power 5 leagues, it would end up replacing them with not-so-prominent schools and bring down Navy's strength of schedule which then affects ND's SOS.

If that happens, should ND consider ending the Navy series to preserve its SOS?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 2020, another Power 5 school, Colorado, will end its annual series with Colorado State.

Notre Dame is one of the only other Power 5 schools playing an annual game against a Group of 5 opponent (not including games against other independents) - Navy, a member of the American.

Now if the American were to lose a number of its more prominent members to Power 5 leagues, it would end up replacing them with not-so-prominent schools and bring down Navy's strength of schedule which then affects ND's SOS.

If they didn't already play one of the more difficult then they would probably have to consider it but they do so it's probably not going to happen. Also I think the Pac12 is moving to more conference games so it makes it more difficult to schedule a lot of non-conference games.

Big Z 1990

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they didn't already play one of the more difficult then they would probably have to consider it but they do so it's probably not going to happen. Also I think the Pac12 is moving to more conference games so it makes it more difficult to schedule a lot of non-conference games.

Well playing a G5 team is dangerous for any P5 team with playoff aspirations. More and more P5 teams should reduce the frequency in which they play of G5 team, and having a G5 team that they play every year isn't good. I'm all for SMU and TCU renewing each year if SMU were to join the Big 12 (which really should happen, SMU is literally in the backyard of Big 12 HQ).

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well playing a G5 team is dangerous for any P5 team with playoff aspirations. More and more P5 teams should reduce the frequency in which they play of G5 team, and having a G5 team that they play every year isn't good. I'm all for SMU and TCU renewing each year if SMU were to join the Big 12 (which really should happen, SMU is literally in the backyard of Big 12 HQ).

I'm pretty sure that every team that made the playoffs played non power 5 team or worse so I'm not sure why you feel it isn't good. Once again Notre Dame plays as tough a schedule as anyone with more diverse teams than anyone. Nothing to worry about with Navy especially with them being a solid program.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well first, ND will never end the series against Navy. Navy might, but ND will not and it’s for reasons that have nothing to do with the SOS.

Also ND plays USC annually and up to 5 ACC opponents.

Navy is the least of our problems.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ND will never give up Navy. As jjc2009 stated, if Navy wants to quit the series, they can, but ND won’t end it. But I doubt Navy would ever want to end the series. We have played them every year since the 1920’s.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND will never give up Navy. As jjc2009 stated, if Navy wants to quit the series, they can, but ND won’t end it. But I doubt Navy would ever want to end the series. We have played them every year since the 1920’s.
There is a reason Navy chooses to play all their home games against ND in NFL stadiums. $$$

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a reason Navy chooses to play all their home games against ND in NFL stadiums. $$$

Why play in your Home stadium that seats 34,000 when you can play in an NFL stadium that seats 80,000. And get the visibility of playing in New York, Philadelphia, Jacksonville or even Dublin, Ireland.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why play in your Home stadium that seats 34,000 when you can play in an NFL stadium that seats 80,000. And get the visibility of playing in New York, Philadelphia, Jacksonville or even Dublin, Ireland.
Exactly. There’s only one other team on their schedule they can pull that off with, Army.

They make so much stinking money bey off the ND game they’ll never get rid of it.

I was at the Navy game in Jacksonville. It didn’t quite sell out (we were in the midst of 4-8) but still more seats were sold than if it was at Navy. And as big as a Navy town Jax is (there were other naval events in town that week to get their numbers up too) the crowd was still 50-50 Irish fans. Almost everyone at our hotel were Irish fans.