• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

something I read about Bobby Orr

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're having a poll at http://www.nesn.com/nissan to see who is the greatest Boston sports hero. It's down to Bill Russell and Bobby Orr, with Orr leading right now. I voted for Orr who at 7 years old became my biggest sports hero, and still is to this day. I thought I would share what I read.

Not many 12-year-olds attract professional hockey scouts, and not many 14-year-olds sign professional hockey contracts. But Bobby Orr wasn't like most human beings. From a young age until the day he hung ‘em up, Orr was always a step ahead of the pack. Despite playing just nine full NHL seasons, Robert Gordon Orr is regarded as one of the greatest hockey players of all time. The subject of one of the sports world's most recognizable photos, Orr popped the game-winning goal to seal the 1970 Stanley Cup Finals against the St. Louis Blues. It was the B's first Cup in 29 years, and Orr took home a plethora of hardware, winning the Norris (best defenseman), Ross (top point scorer), Hart (regular-season MVP) and Conn Smythe (MVP Stanley Cup playoffs) Trophies that season. He went on to secure another Cup for Boston two seasons later and end his career with eight Norris Trophies, two Hart Trophies, two Ross Trophies and 915 points in 657 games played. The 1970-71 campaign turned out to be Orr's most productive season as he scored 37 goals, had 102 assists and finished the year with a plus-124 rating -- an NHL record that still stands to this day.

Scouted at 12! Signing a contract at 14!! There's only one Bobby Orr. :D

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I got to see some more of the old time greats live.
Nice to hear that Orr is beating Russell in that poll.
I am wondering if this poll was taken 5 years ago if it would have been the same.
Seems to me that NBA is taking a dive and NHL is picking up steam.
I think the US making the gold medal game really got some attention and the way the NBA is being officiated and the players just being complete wussies has started to really impact the national perception. I have heard my local sports talk radio talk about the NBA and even call-in from long time NBA fans that are really upset and disappointed in the way the NBA is being played today. Breathe on a guy and it is a foul when not that long ago, taking it to the paint resulting in being roughed up. The toughness and excitement may be swinging over to the NHL on a national level.

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am wondering if this poll was taken 5 years ago if it would have been the same.

I believe the results would be the same. We love all our sports legends here, but Orr is beloved like no other here in New England

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe the results would be the same. We love all our sports legends here, but Orr is beloved like no other here in New England

I wonder what GunsandBeer's response would be to this......ummmmm let me guess. Nah, I think you all know but i'm all ears. :D

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now that the curse of the Bambino has been lifted, is there such a thing as the curse of Bobby Orr? I mean the Bruins haven't won a cup since he's been traded right? They even made the finals one year and somehow only managed to play 1 home game in a best of 7 series. Hmmmmm?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a tick. The Bruins made the finals in both '88 and '90 (both times against the Oilers). Now I know that they had a electrical failure at the old Boston Garden during the SCF in '90, is this what julian is referring to?

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a tick. The Bruins made the finals in both '88 and '90 (both times against the Oilers). Now I know that they had a electrical failure at the old Boston Garden during the SCF in '90, is this what julian is referring to?

Yup that is what I was referring to. Except I think it was the 88 finals if I remember correctly. The Oilers were up 3-0 and game 4 was supposed to be played in Boston but the lights went out and they had to play it in Edmonton instead. The Oilers went on to sweep Boston. I assume had the series gone long enough that the Bruins would have hosted games 5 and 6.

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
something about beer and pretzel sales

As much of a troll Gunsandbeer can be, he does share the sentiment of many Bruins fans towards the owner, Jeremy Jacobs, who doesn't really care if the team wins a Stanley Cup. The team is just one of his businesses and as long as it makes him money, he's happy. That's what Bruins fans have thought about him for years. :mad:

dboy97

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup that is what I was referring to. Except I think it was the 88 finals if I remember correctly. The Oilers were up 3-0 and game 4 was supposed to be played in Boston but the lights went out and they had to play it in Edmonton instead. The Oilers went on to sweep Boston. I assume had the series gone long enough that the Bruins would have hosted games 5 and 6.

As I remember it the Bruins would have hosted game 7. Basically all games get moved up one and the missed game would have been played at the end.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now that the curse of the Bambino has been lifted, is there such a thing as the curse of Bobby Orr? I mean the Bruins haven't won a cup since he's been traded right? They even made the finals one year and somehow only managed to play 1 home game in a best of 7 series. Hmmmmm?

9707920-large.jpg

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for bumping up this thread guys. As you can see, I'm a Bruins fan and it has entirely to do with one man and that is Robert Gordon Orr. For my money, the greatest all-around player the game has ever seen and it isn't even close. Gretz was obviously the greatest offensive force ever but he couldn't play a 2 way game and wasn't really tough like Orr. Bobby played in a really tough era and it took it's toll. Had he been healthy, his numbers would be even more astounding.
The statements from other players of the era show just how well respected and admired he was. After winning ROY in 66-67, Norris trophy winner Harry Howell said he was glad he won that year because Orr was going to own the trophy the rest of his career and he was right.
I saw Bobby Clarke talking about Orr in the 76 Canada Cup. Clarke said when he saw Bobby walk into the rink the first day, he could barely walk. Yet when he got on the ice, he was the best player out there and won the tournament MVP.
Boston has been blessed with some pretty special athletes over the years, for sure. I hope even the casual sports fans who don't really follow hockey can understand how great Orr really was.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I hope the kid fucking stuff stays hidden.