• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some Suggestions

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need a pair of headphones that fit this certain specifications:

A) Must be durable. As mentioned in the NFL forum under deflate gate threads. I have ruined 2 cell phones. I have also dropped my cell phone (and a water bobble more than once) from my locker at work. Top locker on a stack of 6 small ones( i'd say about 4- 5 feet).

B) Must have good outside noise cancelling ability(without being Noise Canceling). I use them a lot for going from point A-Point B if it is long distance. If i walk to it then I won't. If it requires me using the Bus (Can't drive because of limitations brought on by my disability) then I will wear them. However I live near a busy street, so when i'm waiting for my bus I hear a lot of cars wizing by and the bus. I would love to cancel those out without stuff like Horns and sirens.

C) Cost. With the issue with durable. I have a tendenacy to either drop or misplace things. Something under 100$ is perfect but if it closes in on 200$ then no

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A) Must be durable. As mentioned in the NFL forum under deflate gate threads. I have ruined 2 cell phones. I have also dropped my cell phone (and a water bobble more than once) from my locker at work. Top locker on a stack of 6 small ones( i'd say about 4- 5 feet).

B) Must have good outside noise cancelling ability(without being Noise Canceling). I use them a lot for going from point A-Point B if it is long distance. If i walk to it then I won't. If it requires me using the Bus (Can't drive because of limitations brought on by my disability) then I will wear them. However I live near a busy street, so when i'm waiting for my bus I hear a lot of cars wizing by and the bus. I would love to cancel those out without stuff like Horns and sirens.

C) Cost. With the issue with durable. I have a tendenacy to either drop or misplace things. Something under 100$ is perfect but if it closes in on 200$ then no

From my experience it's tough to get A & B and still meet C.

To be honest...I would just buy the cheapo Sony that you can get at Walmart for $20-25 bucks. I have a pair and I use them doing yard work, etc. They have taken a lot of abuse...dropped several times, sweat, sat on them, and they still work, but if you do break them somehow, fork over another $25 and get a new pair.

If you really want something a little nicer sounding...Sol Republic make a nice pair of decent quality cans that won't break the bank...you will not break the headband for certain...about $100.

SolRepublic.com | Sol Republic Tracks V8 Headphones

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with ATL... but I go even cheaper. I buy earbud headphones from Ross or TJ Max (cheap clothing stores) for $5-8 and I've only gone through 1 pair in 5 years now. The quality & durability are legit. There is very little difference in sound quality when dealing with earbud headphones. Some just have more bass than others.

Are you into earbuds or over/on-ear headphones?

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with ATL... but I go even cheaper. I buy earbud headphones from Ross or TJ Max (cheap clothing stores) for $5-8 and I've only gone through 1 pair in 5 years now. The quality & durability are legit. There is very little difference in sound quality when dealing with earbud headphones. Some just have more bass than others.

Are you into earbuds or over/on-ear headphones?
Over ear. One ear is sealed shut inside so what is the bud perpeas(sp)

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over ear. One ear is sealed shut inside so what is the bud perpeas(sp)
Over ear are a little harder to get great quality noise cancellation. Seems like the cheaper you go, the more the noise cancellation feature muffles the music itself. I own a pair of Plantronics Backbeat Pro's that are pretty good. Noise cancellation is great, but definitely not the best I've ever experience. I wear them at work where it gets pretty damn loud and I can hardly hear much of anything outside of my headphones with the music off. Someone has to be within 5ft of me before I can hear the vibrations of their voice but even then can't make out any words. I got them for around $160 off Amazon.

440103-plantronics-backbeat-pro.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over ear are a little harder to get great quality noise cancellation. Seems like the cheaper you go, the more the noise cancellation feature muffles the music itself. I own a pair of Plantronics Backbeat Pro's that are pretty good. Noise cancellation is great, but definitely not the best I've ever experience. I wear them at work where it gets pretty damn loud and I can hardly hear much of anything outside of my headphones with the music off. Someone has to be within 5ft of me before I can hear the vibrations of their voice but even then can't make out any words. I got them for around $160 off Amazon.

View attachment 119233

I had a pair a Beats earbuds with the ear clip...they were actually better than my old over-the-ear Sonys for music quality, but noise cancelling was better with the Sony....one of the wires developed a short, I'd turn my head and the speaker would go in and out...I took them back and just got another pair of the Sonys.

It sounds like the OP wants to block out street noise if I understand him/her...imo noise cancelling headphones is more than he needs...the volume of the music should take care of most of that. True noise calling headphones block a high % of outside noise just putting them on.

In this new house I don't have a true man cave anymore so I can't crank my big system up much now. I've invested in some hi-fidelity headphones when I'm just sitting back listening...paid silly money for them compared to my cheap Sonys, but unreal sound quality and you can wear them for several hours at a time.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a pair a Beats earbuds with the ear clip...they were actually better than my old over-the-ear Sonys for music quality, but noise cancelling was better with the Sony....one of the wires developed a short, I'd turn my head and the speaker would go in and out...I took them back and just got another pair of the Sonys.

It sounds like the OP wants to block out street noise if I understand him/her...imo noise cancelling headphones is more than he needs...the volume of the music should take care of most of that. True noise calling headphones block a high % of outside noise just putting them on.

In this new house I don't have a true man cave anymore so I can't crank my big system up much now. I've invested in some hi-fidelity headphones when I'm just sitting back listening...paid silly money for them compared to my cheap Sonys, but unreal sound quality and you can wear them for several hours at a time.
Well if he doesn't want noise cancelling tech then his options just got a whole lot cheaper! I had a pair of SkullCandy Hesh's that were awesome for how little I spent. $60 and the sound quality is excellent. Great bass, frequency & response. It muffles ambient noises nicely too. Only reason why I went more expensive was because A) Gave them to my wife because she used them more than I did, B) I got the newer more expensive pair as a gift and C) wanted to try the noise cancelling technology. If I were buying another pair on my own dollar I would go with SkullCandy all the way. Here's the pair I gave the wife:

413FYTxzkyL._SY300_.jpg

They have an excellent no BS warranty where wiring shorts or other factory defects are replaced without question. If you accidentally do something to break them then they give you 50% off a new purchase. My first pair I broke during my college days, I sent it in and they sent me back a 50% off coupon without any justification. What's not to like about that?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if he doesn't want noise cancelling tech then his options just got a whole lot cheaper! I had a pair of SkullCandy Hesh's that were awesome for how little I spent. $60 and the sound quality is excellent. Great bass, frequency & response. It muffles ambient noises nicely too. Only reason why I went more expensive was because A) Gave them to my wife because she used them more than I did, B) I got the newer more expensive pair as a gift and C) wanted to try the noise cancelling technology. If I were buying another pair on my own dollar I would go with SkullCandy all the way. Here's the pair I gave the wife:

View attachment 119328

They have an excellent no BS warranty where wiring shorts or other factory defects are replaced without question. If you accidentally do something to break them then they give you 50% off a new purchase. My first pair I broke during my college days, I sent it in and they sent me back a 50% off coupon without any justification. What's not to like about that?

Yeah...unless I misunderstood him, he doesn't really need noise cancelling tech...maybe he wants it, but for the purpose mentioned (block out ambient noise walking to bus stop, etc.) I wouldn't fork over the extra.

Skull Candy and Sol Republic are in the same vein I think...both have an entry level, Sol is a little more $, more modern styling maybe....I took my Beats back to Bestbuy and they gave me full credit so I got $ back switching to the Sonys again.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good luck. At a sub $100 price point, the durability on these things is simply awful. Pathetic really. And from what I've seen, don't really improve that much until you go over 3 bills.

I bought an eighty dollar pair from whatever Radio Shack is these days, and bought the replacement no questions asked warrantee. So far so good, only had to replace the damn cable once.