• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some Questions about the Big XII Championship Game

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MONEY. It's the only reason we get these shitty CCG repeats.

It willl help the winner make the playoffs as it provides a good boost in SoS. And since it takes the 2 best teams of the conference, it provides the best possible boost possible.

The rematch part sucks a little, but if Alabama was in the Big12 I'd be cheering.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It willl help the winner make the playoffs as it provides a good boost in SoS.
It should...but, it didn't help Penn State make the playoffs last year.

Or at least it didn't help them enough!

For the most part, the CCGs are a quasi first round of the CFP. But it wasn't in the B1G last year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should...but, it didn't help Penn State make the playoffs last year.

Or at least it didn't help them enough!

For the most part, the CCGs are a quasi first round of the CFP. But it wasn't in the B1G last year.

That just means it's not a requirement, but it still provides benefits. Just can't get hung up on the label of it IMO.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 1-loss Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas is a possibility this year. And if that happens and the chaos causes some bad feelings which contribute to the conference finally breaking up it's fine with me. A 10 team conference having a championship game is just grasping at straws because we lost good schools and are left with nobody else worth a shit wanting to join us. Fine. Blow it up. Whatever it takes.

I wouldn't waste any time worrying about a 1 loss texas team for at least 3 more years and that is the minimum.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't waste any time worrying about a 1 loss texas team for at least 3 more years and that is the minimum.
What the hell are you talking about? I worry about my team being a one-loss team going into week two of the season!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't the Big12 over thinking this stuff?

I don't understand why a league where every member plays the other, a CCG
is even needed.

Mo money, playoff or not. By not making the playoff now we get nothing, at least there is CCG money to be had now and as mentioned our CCG SHOULD be pretty good every year, TV will love that, cant say that about the other ones, at least recently.

The Big12 is set up nicely for OU and Texas if they start being REAL blue bloods and that might be on the horizon with the 2 sparkys going at each other on the recruiting trail ect. we'll see.

In most "normal" years it should be those two in the CCG with good records / big tv ratings which again tv will like $ and the winner should be a lock for the playoff and if the record is good enough (thinking 1 loss) the loser might still go:noidea:. A lot can happen between the RRS and the CCG, that game could be VERY juicy on championship weekend if that's the only loss between both of em with so much on the line.

If its NOT them then the extra win gives our non blue bloods a better resume with that big win against another good team late in the season for a possible playoff spot (see Baylor/TCU a few years ago).

I hated the idea at first and I admit I still have some reservations about it but...I think I'm gonna like it.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, this is true. I have always said and posted that split conferences and the CCGs are beyond stupid.
But, the B12 takes this way the hell above and beyond stupid. They have a round robin to determine things. When there is a tie or co-champs, there still is a #1 seed.

Well, I started this post over 4 hours ago, then as usual, life its ownself came a-calling and said you have other things to do! This will probably be a repeat of other posts by now, but I'm going to post it anyway.

The CCGs give mulligans from time to time, but it still isn't the same as what the B12 is doing. OU could lose to OhSt then finish 11-1 and 9-0 in conf. and have perhaps an 85% chance to make the CFP, w/o a CCG. There is a possibility they could go 12-0, then get beat in the CCG and not make the CFP. They are playing a very dangerous game here.
Just all kinds of shit going down here.

But how is that different then any other conf title game? And what if OU loses to okie light @Stillwater, but earns another shot at them on a neutral field, is that fair? CFB is the only sport so scared of rematches, happens in EVERY OTHER SPORT. The Dallas Cowboys beat green bay in the regular season, lost to them in the playoffs, #### happens.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how is that different then any other conf title game? And what if OU loses to okie light @Stillwater, but earns another shot at them on a neutral field, is that fair? CFB is the only sport so scared of rematches, happens in EVERY OTHER SPORT. The Dallas Cowboys beat green bay in the regular season, lost to them in the playoffs, #### happens.

Now you got me thinking-ah hell, in the end I dont really know what I want. I'll only care if we lose to a team we beat earlier, ala the Texas/Colorado year. Otherwise, what the hell! Right now I just want to get there...

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And you definitely do not have to worry about a one loss OU team anytime soon as well, seeing how the last time the Thieves had a one loss season was back in '04 and haven't had an undefeated season in 17 years. FYI, Texas has had two 1 loss seasons since '04 and an undefeated season within the last 12 years.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you definitely do not have to worry about a one loss OU team anytime soon as well, seeing how the last time the Thieves had a one loss season was back in '04 and haven't had an undefeated season in 17 years. FYI, Texas has had two 1 loss seasons since '04 and an undefeated season within the last 12 years.

Meh...all true, but y'all have had as many 7 loss seasons in the last 3 years than the land thieves have had in 120 some years.

...and you lost to Kansas, whose only other win was Rhode Island.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But OU did go through the Big 12 undefeated last year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 385,552.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how is that different then any other conf title game? .
The difference is these other conf. with 12 or 14 teams with a split conf. just about have to have this game to determine a "conf. champ." The Big12 does not. They have a round robin conf. schedule. They don't need a CCG.
As far as rematches, rematches happen. As you said, **** happens. When it does happen, then it happens.

The Big 12 is going to have a CCG. Best of luck with that and you should hope it doesn't cost your conf. a spot in the CFP.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill tell you what I hate. Texas and Oklahoma should not play each other more than once a year. Same for rivalries like Alabama-Auburn, Ohio State-Michigan and many others that I could name. It takes away from the specialness of that one game. Now if it came down to the NC game (not the semi-finals), then it has to be. But otherwise once a year is enough.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is these other conf. with 12 or 14 teams with a split conf. just about have to have this game to determine a "conf. champ." The Big12 does not. They have a round robin conf. schedule. They don't need a CCG.
As far as rematches, rematches happen. As you said, **** happens. When it does happen, then it happens.

The Big 12 is going to have a CCG. Best of luck with that and you should hope it doesn't cost your conf. a spot in the CFP.

You don't even "need" conf title games in any conference. In theory you could just give the team with the best conference record the title, but everybody still risks it all with a conf title game. At least the Big 12 will have the two best teams, last year it would've been nice if the big ten had this rule.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill tell you what I hate. Texas and Oklahoma should not play each other more than once a year. Same for rivalries like Alabama-Auburn, Ohio State-Michigan and many others that I could name. It takes away from the specialness of that one game. Now if it came down to the NC game (not the semi-finals), then it has to be. But otherwise once a year is enough.
That ship has sailed my friend. If rivalries still meant that much then Pitt and /or VT would be on our schedule yearly, Texas and A&M would be all set for Thanksgiving week every year again OR possibly Arkansas and OU/ Nebraska would be every year, Mizzu/KU... on and on.

I get what you are saying and in my heart I agree but sorry, the sport $old its soul a few years ago.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes I just wish this conference would just fold already.....

8MAjw.gif

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh...all true, but y'all have had as many 7 loss seasons in the last 3 years than the land thieves have had in 120 some years.

...and you lost to Kansas, whose only other win was Rhode Island.

Oh I agree, this program has been a massive pile of shit after the worst coach in UT history took over the last 3 years. Just pointing out to the Sooner that they aren't exactly churning out 1 loss seasons on a consistent basis.