• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some Questions about the Big XII Championship Game

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although it is not my favorite descriptor, I have to agree with the premise of your third point. Instituting this game is 1) a money grab, and b) a short-sighted, knee-jerk reaction to the Baylor/TCU thing. But what is so ridiculous about the knee-jerk reaction is that no one knows better how a championship game can do far more damage to a NC contender than it can help.

The only time I have ever sen a Conference Championship game help a contender was Ohio State beating Wisconsin in 2012. But how many times did a BCS Championship contender from the Big XII lose the championship game and get knocked out?

It's dumb.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiebreaker Procedures

Championship Game Participants. The two teams that complete the regular season with the highest winning percentage(s) will be the representatives in the Conference Championship Game. The team that wins the championship game will be the Big 12 Champion.

Tiebreaker Procedure. If two teams are tied for first place both teams will participate in the championship game and the winner of the head-to-head will be the #1 seed. If more than two teams tie for first place, the tiebreaker procedures below will be applied separately, to identify each participant in the championship game.

In the event two (or more teams) tie for second or any subsequent position, the tiebreaker procedures below will be used to break all ties as necessary. For the avoidance of doubt, only Conference records will be used throughout the process:
a. If two teams are tied, the winner of the regular-season game between the two tied teams shall prevail.
b. If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 4 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the regular season game between the two tied teams shall prevail.
1. The Conference records of the three or more teams will be compared against each other in a “mini round-robin” format.
2. The Conference records of the three or more teams will be compared against the remaining team(s) in the Conference
standings from top to bottom.
a. When comparing against the remaining teams in the Conference standings any two-way ties will be broken by head-to-head
competition before the comparison begins.
b. If more than a two-way tie exists amongst the remaining teams in the Conference standings, the record against the collective
tied teams as a group will be used.
3. Scoring differential among the tied teams. The team or teams with the lowest difference between points scored and points
allowed in games vs. the tied teams is eliminated from consideration.
4. Draw (In the event steps 1-3 cannot break a multi-team tie the prevailing team or teams will be determined by draw at the
Conference office).
In the event tiebreaking procedures are unsuccessful and a draw is necessary in determing any portion of seeding,
the following procedures will be used:
a. The draw will be conducted in public or with media attendance.
b. Institutions involved in the drawing have the right to have a local representative in attendance at the drawing.
c. A single slip of paper for each institution (with name or logo) will be placed in a container and will be drawn in order
of seeding from highest to lowest.

In the event that scheduled regular season contests cannot be played as originally scheduled, every effort shall be made to reschedule such a contest at the earliest possible date, provided that such rescheduling does not interfere with classes, examination periods, NCAA rules, or other sports prohibitions. If contests cannot be rescheduled and in the event of a first-place tie, the Conference tiebreaker system will be utilized to determine championship game participants or a Conference Champion.

There, that should clear it up

What would be awesome is if Oklahoma goes 12-0 but the rest of the teams go 6-6 or worse, and the team that is 6-6 goes to the CCG and beats Oklahoma and is PROCLAIMED the Big 12 Champion.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although it is not my favorite descriptor, I have to agree with the premise of your third point. Instituting this game is 1) a money grab, and b) a short-sighted, knee-jerk reaction to the Baylor/TCU thing. But what is so ridiculous about the knee-jerk reaction is that no one knows better how a championship game can do far more damage to a NC contender than it can help.

The only time I have ever sen a Conference Championship game help a contender was Ohio State beating Wisconsin in 2012. But how many times did a BCS Championship contender from the Big XII lose the championship game and get knocked out?

It's dumb.

Never, if I'm not mistaken. Hell, KSU gave OU a severe beatdown in the CCG in '03 and the Sooners still made it to the BCS title game. Also in '01, not only did NU not play in the CCG, they were brutally raped by CU in their last game of the season and still played in the BCS title game. I don't have to bring up the Bama debacle in '11. CCG's have always been meaningless; not quite sure why they are supposed to mean something now. As I said before, Ohio State just proved some more how meaningless they are last year.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think that, but even your conference can't get it together. I don't think it's that easy, IMO.....
By our conference do you mean the playoff committee?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's dumb.

OK, on 2nd thought, it happened once when Texas lost to CU by 2 pts in the CCG in '01 and that knocked us out of the BCS title game due to that fluke win by a lucky as fuck CU team that night. Especially when you consider we had drilled the Buffaloes 42-7 already during the season in conference play. Fuck you Chris Simms!!!!

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never, if I'm not mistaken.
It was pre-BCS, but Texas beating Nebraska in 1996 killed Nebraska's shot at a natty. But then there was 1998, when Texas A&M dashed Kansas State's hopes. And there was 2001, when Colorado dashed Texas' hopes. In 2007, Missouri screwed the pooch against Oklahoma.

So - there have been a few instances. And there will be as we move forward in CFP era. It is just a matter of seeing an upset on a conference championship game, which has yet to occur with the CFP in place.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was pre-BCS, but Texas beating Nebraska in 1996 killed Nebraska's shot at a natty. But then there was 1998, when Texas A&M dashed Kansas State's hopes. And there was 2001, when Colorado dashed Texas' hopes. In 2007, Missouri screwed the pooch against Oklahoma.

So - there have been a few instances. And there will be as we move forward in CFP era. It is just a matter of seeing an upset on a conference championship game, which has yet to occur with the CFP in place.

I've totally forgotten about that. Yeah, we did knock NU out of the title game as did Aggy to KSU. I don't really think anybody took MIZZWHO as a serious title contender when OU whipped them twice that year anyway. But you are right, the Big 12 was fucked a few times. Kind of forgot how close Big 12 teams had been to playing for multiple BCS titles..........

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I nominate this as the Official Big XII Gif.

giphy.gif

Hoopla Cash
$ 385,552.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But this is true with every conference game. Shoot Penn state won the big ten and still didn't make the CFP, lost their spot to a team they beat. If they had big 12 rules, Penn State vs Ohio State would've been the big ten title game and maybe Penn State could win their way in.
Yes, this is true. I have always said and posted that split conferences and the CCGs are beyond stupid.
But, the B12 takes this way the hell above and beyond stupid. They have a round robin to determine things. When there is a tie or co-champs, there still is a #1 seed.

Well, I started this post over 4 hours ago, then as usual, life its ownself came a-calling and said you have other things to do! This will probably be a repeat of other posts by now, but I'm going to post it anyway.

The CCGs give mulligans from time to time, but it still isn't the same as what the B12 is doing. OU could lose to OhSt then finish 11-1 and 9-0 in conf. and have perhaps an 85% chance to make the CFP, w/o a CCG. There is a possibility they could go 12-0, then get beat in the CCG and not make the CFP. They are playing a very dangerous game here.
Just all kinds of shit going down here.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer is yes.

Having to play a CCG after playing a round robin schedule is one of the dumbest things in the history of CFB.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never, if I'm not mistaken. Hell, KSU gave OU a severe beatdown in the CCG in '03 and the Sooners still made it to the BCS title game. Also in '01, not only did NU not play in the CCG, they were brutally raped by CU in their last game of the season and still played in the BCS title game. I don't have to bring up the Bama debacle in '11. CCG's have always been meaningless; not quite sure why they are supposed to mean something now. As I said before, Ohio State just proved some more how meaningless they are last year.

MONEY. It's the only reason we get these shitty CCG repeats.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about the state of this conference today. When you think about it, it's really a lot better than people think...IN THAT, everybody plays everybody. There's no easy out, no freaky scheduling shit that gives some random team a clear shot to the CCG.

Sure the conference has not done anything big lately, however, I look at every year's schedule, and yes, you got to play everybody. Kansas State is always tough, no matter what-very well coached, every year. TCU is well coached, and most years they are indeed a tough out. OSU has gotten better and better. WVU is tough every year. Baylor was a handful for a short while, have no idea what they will morph into. Texas Tech, yes you'll probably score 70 on them, but if you're not careful they'll score 72. Kansas is down now, but they had a run not too long ago. Iowa State rises up and beats Iowa every year.

Having to play everybody is much cleaner.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
however, now the thought of playing someone AGAIN...50% of the time it will suck for your team, the other 50% it will be an opportunity...

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4) Oklahoma doesn't make the B12 title game and you and Romeo flood the board with useless scenarios for '18

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is if there is a repeat of what happened in 2008. Oklahoma lost to Texas, Texas lost to Texas Tech, Texas Tech lost to Oklahoma. That's a Mexican standoff. And then the arguments start. Texas was bitter in 2008. And they had a right to be mad but there really isn't a good answer when everybody beats each other.

It would be Texas vs Oklahoma in that case.