• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some interesting TIDBITS..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was texting with BBW during the game and after he asked if I believed...my answer was I beleieve that this program has NEVER been healthier and it is set up to compete for Big12 titles from here forward...unless Shane Lyon's continues to undermine the program...

Dana's record over the last 15 games...which includes a Bowl win..

The Mountaineers (8-1, 5-1 Big 12) lost all four games in October last season. They’re 13-2 since then and snapped Texas’ four-game winning streak against top-12 teams.

WVU matched last season’s win total, which was the highest since moving into the Big 12 in 2012. They play host to No. 10 Oklahoma Saturday, and WVU can’t lose that and win the conference championship. The Sooners (8-2, 7-0) are the only team without a conference loss. They’re also the only Big 12 team WVU hasn’t beaten in conference play.

Quotes from Texas..

“They’re really physical,” said Texas running back D’Onta Foreman, the nation’s leading rusher who finished with 167 yards on a career-high 35 carries for his 11th straight 100-yard game. “I feel like they had a good defense. I can’t really say why we didn’t put up the points. We had a lot of great drives and we just didn’t finish. I know that was a good defense, but I can’t say that they just stopped us. We really hurt ourselves.” -

Innovative on offense ...attitude on Defense....I LIKE IT!...

Not sure if you all heard Dana's comments after the game...you would think the guy lost the game by 40 points... Just blistered himself for poor play calling ....

And of course the this!!!

How can you not love this guy....or at least for the Dana hater's respect that this HC is TOTALLY invested in West Virginia Football

Bat 20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another interesting Tidbit from ESPN: Here's the list of Power 5 coaches who have won at least 13 games in the past 12 months: Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, Jim Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, Bobby Petrino and Holgorsen. The timing of Holgorsen's getting things turned around is absolutely admirable when you consider where his team was at the end of October a year ago. West Virginia's confidence keeps growing during 13-2 run

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the fact that his job status gets brought up at every broadcast. Every single fucking one!

Recruits gotta get the warm fuzzies when they hear about Dana's uncertain future every week.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... you are the WVU AD. You've never been in this position before... NEVER. Most of your career has been in admin roles... compliance. You have never evaluated performance... NEVER.

Even if you take over an athletic department in which coaching contracts were set, you still have an opportunity to get your knuckles bleeding right off the bat. The HC of the football program was given an extension following the '11 season through the '17 season... so, you are immediately in a position to get to work on his contract.

You have one of two options during your first year on the job, extend or fire.

You choose to do neither.

And, some think this is worthy of the kind of praise that goes with doing a great job?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... once you get to WVU... you see a fan base still divided by Rich's departure. You have been hired by 'the bow tie' president. However, if you take an honest assessment of the HC and of the football program you find the following...

First time HC wins co-champ of BE in year 1... a year in which he was to be the OC and HCIW. In the few weeks between the end of the regular season and the Orange Bowl, produces execution to the tune of 70-33.

A team short of scholarship players... a team with kids recruited for BE football... is pushed into a new league. A team that would have had trouble in the BE at times due to its defensive shortcomings... lack of talent in the defensive backfield... lack of depth of talent heads into new territory against teams loaded with athletic talent.

This HC had to find ways to win as he built the kind of depth required to be competitive in a conference as deep as the Big 12. Had to find a way from going out with a plan to play 40-45 kids/gm... to playing 60+. Had to find a way to win with a team depleted of players due to injury.

As the AD in charge today, you see this guy bust his balls to put his team in position to win. His team builds off of a huge drop at 4-8 to go 7-6 the next year. Until the starting QB gets his 4th concussion in the TCU game, he sees WVU ranked #23 in the CFP... a team that went toe to toe with Alabama in the season opener.

By every metric known to college football, you see the '15 team has improved across the board. The Big 12 schedule was brutal... 4 ranked teams in a row... 3 of them on the road. Had WVU faced OU, TCU or BU after injury to their QB... we may have seen different outcomes. Yet... WVU goes onto record another 7 win season.

The football program is clean. Is not riddled in controversy of its athletes. Kids are disciplined properly. Kids are doing their schoolwork or face consequences.

But, you can't see the value in the HC.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year... as the AD... you see the team rise to new levels inside the Big 12. The depth that was presented as an issue in the early years of this new conference... have been answered.

Injuries impact the team during summer camp. Impacts the secondary and OL. 8 new starters on defense. But, all of those boys had tons of playing time under their belts.

Are you surprised by the performance as the AD?

Or should you have seen this coming?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I asked Slaton Saturday night...

Do you believe?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our AD comes out with nothing.

Nothing...

Every AD at every school mired in rumor regarding their HC... finds the media to state their support.

Every AD except the one at WVU...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nothing...

Every AD at every school mired in rumor regarding their HC... finds the media to state their support.

Nothing...

Well it was mentioned somewhere that he did decide to sit in on Dana's presser which was a first this year!

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assistant coaches who are promoted to the head guy should be given all the time in the world to learn their job as the HC, an assistant AD promoted to the AD should know exactly what he is doing from day 1.........

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assistant coaches who are promoted to the head guy should be given all the time in the world to learn their job as the HC, an assistant AD promoted to the AD should know exactly what he is doing from day 1.........

Agreed!..can't believe this is how they did business down in Bama land!

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the AD knew what he was doing and had a plan going into the season. He expected that Gibby would be getting offers and saw that Holgs was mired in mediocrity. He expected to lose one or another this year and he chose to extend Gibby's contract.
This 8-1 start was not what our AD was expecting. I am sure he is noticing that we are 8-1 because of Gibby's defense and not Holgs offense. He was probably thinking that he was keeping the best of two coaches. Now the fan base, even WVU Dad had jumped on the bandwagon and seen that Holgs is progressing greatly as HC. This year, he is actually outcoaching the likes of Strong and Snyder.
Looks like the plan has backfired. A win this Saturday will really make Lyons look like a fool. The decision will cost many millions of dollars if he can keep Holgs around. He will have to pay Texas money to keep him here. OOPS

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't get how Lyons screwed up?????? Holgorsen, a barely 500 coach was offered an extension that paid $3 million a year, yes we are 8-1 now, but with a couple of bounces of the ball differently could be 5-4 just as easy. What was Lyons to do AT THE TIME? offer $4 million? Offer a lifelong contract that goes up a million a year, with no buyout if Holgorsen bails? The piss pouring on anything WVU that isn't Ollie Luck is ridiculous.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but with a couple of bounces of the ball differently could be 5-4 just as easy.

This part of your argument is irrelevant....we are 8-1 now, he is a .600 coach now and the risk was worth taking since we can indeed afford it and we could have cut ties with him if needed.

I do not think anyone was saying offer him a lifetime contract, but IMO things should have been in place by now...if we indeed cut ties with a 9-4 or better coach we will set this program back. my two cents I have us at worst right now 9-3 with a shot at 10 in a bowl.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This part of your argument is irrelevant....we are 8-1 now, he is a .600 coach now and the risk was worth taking since we can indeed afford it and we could have cut ties with him if needed.

I do not think anyone was saying offer him a lifetime contract, but IMO things should have been in place by now...if we indeed cut ties with a 9-4 or better coach we will set this program back. my two cents I have us at worst right now 9-3 with a shot at 10 in a bowl.

Yeah... I love how DAD twists the fate. When Billy was coach, his team was just a few fumbles away from being undefeated. Now, Dana is just a few plays away from being 5-4.

Last year, Dana was 2 plays away from being 10-3. Two fucking plays...

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am willing to eat some crow about Holgersen, he seems to be putting WVU on a winning course after all. Hope the Mountaineers finish the season strong

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the AD knew what he was doing and had a plan going into the season. He expected that Gibby would be getting offers and saw that Holgs was mired in mediocrity. He expected to lose one or another this year and he chose to extend Gibby's contract.
This 8-1 start was not what our AD was expecting. I am sure he is noticing that we are 8-1 because of Gibby's defense and not Holgs offense. He was probably thinking that he was keeping the best of two coaches. Now the fan base, even WVU Dad had jumped on the bandwagon and seen that Holgs is progressing greatly as HC. This year, he is actually outcoaching the likes of Strong and Snyder.
Looks like the plan has backfired. A win this Saturday will really make Lyons look like a fool. The decision will cost many millions of dollars if he can keep Holgs around. He will have to pay Texas money to keep him here. OOPS

Interesting perspective...and may not be that far fetched..but I would have to believe if a new HC is named he is going to want to bring in "HIS" guys and not be told he needs to keep this coach or that coach...we saw how that worked out with Casteel feeling like he didn't have to answer to the HC and causing a divide in the entire coaching staff...

...Dana went through what Strong is going through in Texas to some degree in changing culture of the program and the type of player you wanted ,it was more difficult for Dana to get thing headed in the right direction IMHO due to the recruiting difficulties WV has always had..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't get how Lyons screwed up?????? Holgorsen, a barely 500 coach was offered an extension that paid $3 million a year, yes we are 8-1 now, but with a couple of bounces of the ball differently could be 5-4 just as easy. What was Lyons to do AT THE TIME? offer $4 million? Offer a lifelong contract that goes up a million a year, with no buyout if Holgorsen bails? The piss pouring on anything WVU that isn't Ollie Luck is ridiculous.

I don't think it had to do with Dana getting his money...I think it has EVERYTHING to do with mandating the Assistant Coaches are on year to year contracts except for Gibby...I mean really DAD would you take a job knowing you could be out of work in 12 months?...these kids that get recruited have more allegiance to the staff member that recruited them than the HC!..

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it had to do with Dana getting his money...I think it has EVERYTHING to do with mandating the Assistant Coaches are on year to year contracts except for Gibby...I mean really DAD would you take a job knowing you could be out of work in 12 months?...these kids that get recruited have more allegiance to the staff member that recruited them than the HC!..
Slaton, In my job, I could be out of work five minutes from now, same as most people, so yes, I would work a job that paid a half million a year on a year to year contract basis. Assistant coaches are a very fluid bunch, most programs change asst coaches a ton, hell, look at WVU since Holgorsen came, look at Ohio State how many assts Meyer has gone through. I am very glad that Holgorsen has progressed in his job, has learned to effectively coach, but I don't understand him turning down the generous offer for the given reasons. I get Lyons not wanting to sign assts long term, all I have to do is remember paying Efore DC pay for being an ineffective position coach.