• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some guy shot a 66 today at Shinnecock Hills with unlimited mulligans

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what I know.

This guy who plays golf 4 or 5 times a year and apparently is not very good, said he could win the us open with unlimited mulligans. Well, the USGA found out about it and gave him a chance to play today.
The only thing they said to him, is that he had to play in 5 hours and 15 minutes(I believe).

Well, he might have proved himself to be right.

He might have taken a four hundred shots today, and most of them on the greens, but he eventually made his par putts, and the few birdies needed to get to 4 under, in under the time the USGA required him to play in.

Haven't found the story online yet.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's funny.

I heard of something cool on the golf wrx board. Dude said that they play a one man scramble. You get two chances on every shot. That sounds like it could be fun.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's funny.

I heard of something cool on the golf wrx board. Dude said that they play a one man scramble. You get two chances on every shot. That sounds like it could be fun.

I've done that on a few rounds. If I'm by myself, I'll usually play 2 balls to get in all the practice I can, but sometimes it takes too long to play both if they're too far apart so I'll pick the best shot and play both from there to keep from holding anybody up.

I'd like to try a tournament with those rules.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've done that on a few rounds. If I'm by myself, I'll usually play 2 balls to get in all the practice I can, but sometimes it takes too long to play both if they're too far apart so I'll pick the best shot and play both from there to keep from holding anybody up.

I'd like to try a tournament with those rules.

Usually that "other guy" who hits your second shot does better than the first guy!

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barstool Sports
BREAKING NEWS: The @USGA is awesome and has embraced the unlimited mulligans debate.

On Monday, @stoolpresidente will have 5h15m at Shinnecock with unlimited mulligans to shoot whatever he shoots. Anything under par and I’ll concede he wins.

5:27 PM - May 19, 2018

So Riggs and I got in a huge debate a couple weeks ago on Barstool Radio. The question at hand was whether I could win the US Open with unlimited mulligans. For me the answer was a no brainer. Of course I would. That’s not even me bragging. That’s just me knowing what I’m capable of and knowing what unlimited mulligans actually means. I’d 100% birdie every par 3 and then par everything else. That’s -4 a day. Riggs projects the winner at Shinnecock this year will shoot -4 for the entire tournament. The ENTIRE TOURNAMENT. That means I’ll win by roughly 12 strokes. Easy peasy

Riggs countered my argument with a bunch of mumbo jumbo that made no sense. His main arguments seem to be that if I was in the leading group after Friday I’d run out of daylight on Saturday and Sunday because I’d tee off late in the afternoon. He also claims that there are certain holes that it doesn’t matter how many strokes I get I just don’t have the shots needed in my bag because I stink. Listen I agree that time could be a factor the last 2 days of the tournament, but I still have 12 shots to work with. I could mix in a few bogeys and still win in a landslide. So the debate raged on.

Well apparently the good folks at the USGA caught wind of our argument and have generously offered to let me play Shinnecock on Monday with unlimited mulligans. Okay great. I’ll finally get to shut Riggs up and prove I’m always right when it comes to these hypothetical sports debates. But then I noticed the part whether the USGA said I only get 5 hours to play. Wait what? Umm that’s not unlimited mulligans. That’s how long I should get on the weekend when I’ve already built an insurmountable lead. When I said I’d win with unlimited mulligans I assumed that for the first 2 rounds I’d play from dawn to dusk to achieve my perfect score of -4 per day. And yes I know people think I’ll get blisters. Well when you’ve built an empire delivering newspapers brick by brick with your bare hands you don’t have time for blisters.

To be honest I feel like lots of lesser men would have immediately withdrawn from this tournament knowing the deck was stacked against them. That I was walking into a bear trap. But I’m not most men. I will not run from a challenge. I will not be intimidated by wildly unfair rules. I will walk into Shinnecock with an army of golf balls and ready to shoot rapid fire mulligans and prove once and for all that Team Portnoy always says what it does and does what it says. You won’t hear any excuses from me if I fail about how unfair this competition is even though it’s wildly unfair because I won’t let the unfairness beat me. And that’s what being the Us Open Champ* is all about

*with mulligans

Well, he did it.
Shot 66.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is Dave Portnoy aka stoolpresidente
Google him, with the word Shinnecock.
You can see some videos of the challenge.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he have to pickup his mulligans, or could he just leave them all over the course and keep on swinging?

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he have to pickup his mulligans, or could he just leave them all over the course and keep on swinging?

Good question. My guess he had to pick them up. Or the guys he was playing with and/or caddy.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sounds about right. The ones he can't reach he'd have unlimited up & down chances. Hit drives until you hit a good one, same with the approach and then the first putt until you make one. 66 isn't even all that great given that.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sounds about right. The ones he can't reach he'd have unlimited up & down chances. Hit drives until you hit a good one, same with the approach and then the first putt until you make one. 66 isn't even all that great given that.

given unlimited time, you should be able to get 10+ under... but at some point you call a shot good enough and move on

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found out a little more info on this.
They estimated that he took about 700 total shots.
He did have a team of folks helping with rounding up all the errant shots.
He did not birdie one of the par 3's. Was a very difficult putt, and there were people coming up on the tee.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found out a little more info on this.
They estimated that he took about 700 total shots.
He did have a team of folks helping with rounding up all the errant shots.
He did not birdie one of the par 3's. Was a very difficult putt, and there were people coming up on the tee.

For the par 3s, I'm guessing anything on the green was taken without more tries and a guaranteed 2 putt.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the par 3s, I'm guessing anything on the green was taken without more tries and a guaranteed 2 putt.

I thought I heard that they would not settle for anything unless it was within 25 feet or so.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think i could possibly manage a 66 with this.... It would have been a lot better if he didn't have people helping him pick up his crappy shots.

Was he walking the course too? or did he have a cart?