• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Solving the new NBA's problems

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, if I were a Warriors fan, like a TRUE Warriors fan from the Run TMC days, I'd want them to break up the team.

There's a certain mentality that you have as a fan rooting for an underdog. You're rooting to make the playoffs with a sub .500 record. Then all of a sudden, you're the odds on favorite against the field every year? I never want to see Villanova win 8 championships in a row. I never want to see the NY Jets become the New England Patriots.

That first championship must have been real sweet, but I'm sure there are GS fans who do not like what is going on.

I’m a fan from the Rum TMC days. It’s when I started being a fan, and I’ve suffer through a shit organization for years. We went twenty years with 1 playoff appearance.

So now you think you’d want them to blow it up so we can suck again and root for an underdog? What I’m the hell kind of dumbass logic is that?

There’s nothing guaranteed and this run could end messy and abruptly for no reason. Stranger things have happened. What I’m going to do is not take for granted this run and appreciate greatness. I’m going to appreciate an ownership group willing to do anything to win. I’m gonna appreciate a generational talent in Steph Curry who’s revolutionized the game. And I’m damn sure gonna appreciate the unselfish and beautiful brand of basketball they are playing.

But yeah let’s blow it up again so we can be back in the shitter for another 20 years.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all.

Lots of fans always root for the underdog. It's a very common thing.

No, that part is true.

But to suggest a long time Warrior fan would want the team broken up so they can be underdogs again is proposterous. Especially in the NBA where underdogs so rarely win.

People like rooting for the underdog when they don't have a dog in the fight. But I have never once encountered a fan that wanted their own team to break up because they are too good. The goal in sports is to win. And when you have a winning team, it is a great feeling, and also a fleeting one.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, that part is true.

But to suggest a long time Warrior fan would want the team broken up so they can be underdogs again is proposterous. Especially in the NBA where underdogs so rarely win.

People like rooting for the underdog when they don't have a dog in the fight. But I have never once encountered a fan that wanted their own team to break up because they are too good. The goal in sports is to win. And when you have a winning team, it is a great feeling, and also a fleeting one.

If you've had a team win two championships and one was done as an underdog knocking off more powerful teams by thin margins, and the other was done by being the prohibitive favorite all year and steamrolling everyone in their path, then you know how different the feeling is.

But 'breaking up' isn't as you think. Just get rid of Durant. They could have easily have won without him. I can guarantee you there's Warrior fans who deep down never wanted Durant.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea: Idk
How bout we embrace this changing team culture and have a fantasy draft every 3 years

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this boogie cousins thing for 5 million has me on the edge of no longer watching the nba. I'm far from alone. something needs to be done to address this. I have a couple of ideas:

1 - assign players a rating system, perhaps using something similar to VORP. assign a "ranking" to players, maybe in tiers, and you are allowed only so many tier guys per team. something to that effect. take contracts out of it...and use a ranking system. keep a cap so to speak, but revenue sharing like MLB.

2 - perhaps set a market value "bottom" for every player, based on the above. you're not allowed to sign for less than your low end market value.

3 - just let 4 teams run the NBA, and let guys take below market value deals just to fit on a team of stars.

4 - i start watching the WNBA and cry while i punch myself in the nuts.

NBA has only one problem IMO; they need to put the best 16 teams in the playoffs, not best 8 in each conference.

Whining about Boogie makes no sense. He's only there for one year, and likely only a portion of that as he's still recovering from his achilles injury. Any team in the league could've offered him a contract. When he got sick of waiting, he called the Warriors.

What is the market value of a talented player that is a locker room cancer, has never really contributed to a winning team, and is coming off an achilles injury?

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are overreacting a little bit. I'm not sure Boogie makes GSW that much better and I wouldn't be that surprise if Houston or Boston take them out. There's still the question about if Boogie can fit in the system, the locker room or stay healthy

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop it by not allowing CP3 to be traded to the Lakers
It’s well documented that the CP3 trade was vetoed because the franchise was literally owned by the NBA. They couldn’t deplete the team of assets while trying to sell it.

Player movement cannot be vetoed because the league has no control on it via free agency. Telling players where they can and can’t go would basically just kill the principle of free agency.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you've had a team win two championships and one was done as an underdog knocking off more powerful teams by thin margins, and the other was done by being the prohibitive favorite all year and steamrolling everyone in their path, then you know how different the feeling is.

But 'breaking up' isn't as you think. Just get rid of Durant. They could have easily have won without him. I can guarantee you there's Warrior fans who deep down never wanted Durant.

The Warriors were expected to take a step back once they fired Mark Jackson and replaced him with Kerr. The Warriors were a dog to start the year and got off to a great start and ended up winning a championship against a depleted Cavs team.

Then think about why the Warriors have Durant. It’s because we LOST in the finals. For as good as the team was, it was flawed. We sought to get better, as every team does and ended up in the perfect storm of a cap spike and having young stars locked up on team friendly deals.

The Warriors won one championship as a dog to start the year (Cavs we’re heavily favored to begin the year) and lost as as 73 win team. Then they’ve won two in a row as the prohibited favorite. We’ve experienced every bit of emotion on the winning spectrum.

Again I had season tickets in the nosebleeds when the team was continually winning 20 games a year. I know what it’s like to root for an underdog and as much fun as you think it might be, this sort of greatness is unprecedented. Any “fan” who says they would have rather not gotten Durant is either full of shit or a person living in hindsight. Ask any fan what they thought of losing in 2016 and they’ll say getting better was a priority. If you’re gonna get better, go all out.

It’s not the Warriors problem that they continually get better. They shouldn’t be expected to let other teams a chance to catch up. You think Apple is thinking, “hey we’ve had a good run with these iPhones, let’s let Samsung go after all the best engineers so they can have their turn. Let’s also go a step further and fire some our best too to make even more interesting.”

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all.

Lots of fans always root for the underdog. It's a very common thing.

Fans root for underdogs when their team is out of it. I guess it's also true for casual fans who don't have a team. I have never heard of fans who want their great team to break up so that it is harder to win. This might be surprising to you, but fans want what is best for their team.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, if I were a Warriors fan, like a TRUE Warriors fan from the Run TMC days, I'd want them to break up the team.

There's a certain mentality that you have as a fan rooting for an underdog. You're rooting to make the playoffs with a sub .500 record. Then all of a sudden, you're the odds on favorite against the field every year? I never want to see Villanova win 8 championships in a row. I never want to see the NY Jets become the New England Patriots.

That first championship must have been real sweet, but I'm sure there are GS fans who do not like what is going on.
There is just no way in hell a real fan would want his team to break up a title contender - Put your crack pipe down and walk away man -

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is just no way in hell a real fan would want his team to break up a title contender - Put your crack pipe down and walk away man -

So all Pistons fans would have wanted to win at the cost of anything, including adding Michael Jordan?

You put down the crack pipe.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Lakers Fan - I would have gladly enjoyed seeing the Lakers beat the Chicago Bulls at the expense of Michael Jordan's legacy - And by the same token - Yes they would have added Michael Jordan - to their team

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem is that Steph Curry's parents gave him a girl's name. I bet he wears tampons in his ass.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I look at it is like if Michael Jordan joined the Detroit Pistons after he was tired of them beating him every year.

I guess if people are OK with that, then I won't argue with them.

That Pistons team with Jordan would have been some kind of a team, but ... would the NBA really have been better off?

Because it would have been so much worse for basketball if the Pistons dominated the 90s instead of the Bulls?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the part that just cracks me up. People get mad and complain that players put money ahead of winning. Then, when players take less money to win...they complain about how unfair it is.

Apparently, players are only supposed to take less money to play for teams the complainers like.

So much of the whining is just because some other team got better and not their own team.

If the Celtics got Boogie this thread would never have happened.