• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SODO arena project

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing 'major' blocking the path to Seattle arena; Tukwila in 'direct competition' - Local News | MyNorthwest.com

interesting info

Hansen responded Thursday morning, "It is a major milestone in our journey to bring the NBA and NHL back to Seattle."

Hansen supportive of an NHL team playing in the arena — and is open to that happening before an NBA team. (News to me that he had accepted that as a possibility, and makes the project have some more hope)

our negotiations with potential NHL partners, with our only major requirements being that such a deal does not jeopardize the process or put the City, County, Taxpayers or us in a worse financial position," Hansen said.

RLB Holdings Sports and Entertainment, led by CEO Ray Bartoszek, filed code interpretation paperwork with the city of Tukwila in April, stating its intention to build a multipurpose arena. The group filed a SEPA application May 1.

If all goes as planned, the Tukwila arena would open in the fall of 2017. (I had no idea there was a second option being planned. Wow)

Well glad for the update, still don't want to cheer for the NBA, F THOSE GUYS. (or at least give us back Durant and Westbrooke, than we can start to move forward, but really looking forward to hockey.)

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tukwila arena plan was only recently reported on the local news and obviously has only been in the works from a public standpoint for a little while. It sounds like the land they intend to use is either near or at Tukwila Station where the Sounder train, Amtrak and a few Metro routes have a stop. I think the plan also calls for a shopping and dining complex and a parking structure to be located on that same stretch of land. I could be wrong about that last part as I only caught a bit of the story on the news, but it sounds reasonable to me to do it that way. Tukwila is growing, but it's not downtown Seattle, so I think putting in more than just an arena to draw people to that part of the city is smart. Isn't that the same sort of setup they were talking about for the proposed arena in, I think, Auburn, back before the team was stolen?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tukwila arena plan was only recently reported on the local news and obviously has only been in the works from a public standpoint for a little while. It sounds like the land they intend to use is either near or at Tukwila Station where the Sounder train, Amtrak and a few Metro routes have a stop. I think the plan also calls for a shopping and dining complex and a parking structure to be located on that same stretch of land. I could be wrong about that last part as I only caught a bit of the story on the news, but it sounds reasonable to me to do it that way. Tukwila is growing, but it's not downtown Seattle, so I think putting in more than just an arena to draw people to that part of the city is smart. Isn't that the same sort of setup they were talking about for the proposed arena in, I think, Auburn, back before the team was stolen?
I'd love to see an NHL team in Tukwila. Not sure I would get season tickets? Too many games in the NHL and I unfortnately just don't have the time. But I'm sure they'll offer some packages. I'd be up for potentially buying a 10-20 game pack. For south sounders I think the location appeals more to them then having to fight downtown.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having a pair of teams in Tukwila would certainly increase my interest in attending games, especially when it comes to hockey. I'm a very casual hockey fan who only really gets into it during the Olympics (and only for team USA) and I think having a pro team so close might get me more into the sport, just like getting the Sounders in Seattle got me more into soccer. I think I also wouldn't mind the opportunity to work at the proposed new arena if it was to be built.