• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So where do we go from here?

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After last night's absolutely terrible performance we have finally reached the offseason. We are a team with problems all around and I don't know how we can fix this in one offseason this team clearly underachieved this year

On offense we have to hope Rypien improves, it actually seemed like he played worse this year than he did last year. Rypien only had 2 good games this year. Other than those games he was extremely inaccurate missing loads of routine easy completions and making terrible decisions resulting in turnovers. Next year is the crux of Rypien's career, will he improve and become a Boise State great? Or will he always be the guy with so much potential but never pan out? Running back isn't as much of a concern surprisingly, McNichols has left early for the draft in a decision that surprises no one, Mattison seems set to take his place. Receivers were ok, we had less drops this year but still had some, Rypien needs to get a better connection with Sperbeck because at times this year the two were not on the same page, during bad times Rypien would overthrow or underthrow Sperbeck and usually after about 2 of them Rypien will finally hit Sperbeck in the hands and then Sperbeck will drop it, almost as if he's surprised that Rypien finally hit him in the hands. Tight ends are ridiculously underutilized in our offense, we have some talent there, we need to finally use it. Then there's the offensive line, what has happened to this unit?? For years we've had strong offensive lines but ever since last year's season opener this unit has been absolutely terrible. Missing blocks, leaving McNichols no room to run, allowing too much pressure on Rypien, you name it the offensive line has been brutally bad the past 2 years and it needs to be fixed. Our playcalling needs to be fixed as well, most of the time I don't even know who is actually calling the play on a certain play, because Rypien sometimes calls them from the field, or Harsin does or Hill does, heck sometimes I believe Huff does as well. I think Huff needs to return to fulltime duties as offensive line coach since that unit clearly has to be fixed. Hill should be the play caller with an occasional input from Harsin.

Defense will have less complaints, Avalos mostly had a good first year as defensive coordinator. His gameplans were good almost all the time, last night was the first time that it wasn't the case. He also needs to learn to make adjustments, seeing that for the most part his gameplans have worked he hasn't had to before so hopefully last night was a learning experience. The defense was actually better in the 2nd half but it's hard to tell if that's because Baylor took their foot off the gas.

Our special teams were absolutely brutal, we had a good kicker and punter but that was it. Blocking was atrocious, I don't think we made a single good special teams play all year long, too many fair catches inside the 10, sometimes we even fumbled while trying to pin ourselves inside our own 10, we also had kicks and punts blocked. I probably don't even have to say it but I'm sure Harsin will definitely make a change here. Special teams clearly need to improve if we ever want to be good again, back in the Petersen days we were strong in this area, as we actually would get touchdowns on kickoff and punt returns, occasionally block an opposing team's punt or kick and even had some well timed trick plays here.

Now that I made my offseason changes book, let's see what happens this offseason