• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

so when vegas lifts the cup......

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would go with Minni ... they were in probably the toughest spot prior to the draft but I think in hindsight they would have done some different things ... losing both Haula and Tuch ... ouch

I don't even wanna think about it....

IMO, I believe the Wild peaked 2 years ago, though. No one in the organization will admit they need to dump and re-load, though; and, they weren't helped by the success in the regular season last year, either. :gaah: Sad thing is, they're stuck with Parise and Suter through 2024/2025. Nobody's gonna want those contracts, and their $7.5MM cap hits. :L

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i didnt follow the expansion draft as closely as some of you full time nhlers.....what team regrets the most you think about what they gave away?

Caps regret on Nate Schmidt. He's their ice time leader and having a break out year after being the Caps best defensemen in the playoffs last year. He was very popular with the fans, too. But I think either way they had to give up someone good. Tom Wilson or Lars Eller would have been the top nominees in my mind, but Eller is having a career year this season and Chris Djoos has filled into Nate's spot nicely.

Hindsight is 20/20.

The truth is teams with more UFAs going into last offseason probably had an advantage because they made for riskier picks and uncertainty as they still had to reach a contract deal and weren't necessarily leaving their previous team even if selected.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think teams will be much smarter come the next one. Yeah, you might lose a player you’d rather not. It’s one player. You could lose that player to a bad injury, to a contract dispute, you could lose a trade…

I don’t think there will be this side-deal craziness again where teams like Florida and Columbus just gave away two good (potentially good in terms of Columbus’ 1st rounder) players for no reason at all. I think in most cases GM’s will just hope for the best.

I guess Jarmo didn't have much faith in Wild Bill, and they ownership desperately wanted that Clarkson contract off the books (which was a by product of Jarmo fucking up the Horton thing). He probably felt painted into a corner (by himself) and wanted to make a splash. Belly flops usually do leave a big splash.

And again, if he'd have just said "Take Johnson" instead of "Take Karlsson" so much would be better across the board for all involved.

And the next expansion draft will hopefully give teams a chance to save more talent. The league wanted Vegas to succeed, so they stacked the rules like they were lottery balls in Crosby's draft year. The league isn't going to give two shits if Seattle or Quebec is successful out of the gate.

Let's remember what Minny and Columbus got year one:
2000 NHL Expansion Draft - Wikipedia

Or what Ottawa and Tampa got:
1992 NHL Expansion Draft - Wikipedia

Slim pickins.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slim pickins.

what-in-the-wide-world-of-sports-is-going-on-around-here.jpg

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Jarmo didn't have much faith in Wild Bill, and they ownership desperately wanted that Clarkson contract off the books (which was a by product of Jarmo fucking up the Horton thing).
But wasn't it injury-insured? Wasn't the whole point of the trade that Clarkson's contract was insured for injury whereas Horton's wasn't? Why were they so adamant it be moved?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Jarmo didn't have much faith in Wild Bill, and they ownership desperately wanted that Clarkson contract off the books (which was a by product of Jarmo fucking up the Horton thing). He probably felt painted into a corner (by himself) and wanted to make a splash. Belly flops usually do leave a big splash.

And again, if he'd have just said "Take Johnson" instead of "Take Karlsson" so much would be better across the board for all involved.

And the next expansion draft will hopefully give teams a chance to save more talent. The league wanted Vegas to succeed, so they stacked the rules like they were lottery balls in Crosby's draft year. The league isn't going to give two shits if Seattle or Quebec is successful out of the gate.

Let's remember what Minny and Columbus got year one:
2000 NHL Expansion Draft - Wikipedia

Or what Ottawa and Tampa got:
1992 NHL Expansion Draft - Wikipedia

Slim pickins.

I say we just F**k Dallas in the next expansion draft.

1991 NHL Dispersal and Expansion Drafts - Wikipedia

The crap San Jose got made them Laughable and even worse season 2.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens have a goalie without whom they would not have won 2 consecutive Stanley Cups.

I don't think they miss LMAFO much.
The Pens problem is their horrific D which, the main POS was rewarded with an All Star selection. :doh::doh::doh:

While MAF is great, the Pens have younger, talented and most importantly, less costly replacements that seem to have been just fine...

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But wasn't it injury-insured? Wasn't the whole point of the trade that Clarkson's contract was insured for injury whereas Horton's wasn't? Why were they so adamant it be moved?

Ownership didn't want to pay any part of it. Not sure how insurance works in this case, but even though it was insured it caused a hit to the bottom line so the top said get rid of it.

Plus there was the issue of being at a % of the cap at season start before they could LTIR Clarkson and that might have caused problems with the Jones deal. They probably couldn't pay him what he wanted (in order to not hold out) with Clarky on the books.

BottleWalk

Holier Than Thou
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if it's going to happen this year but it really does look like it will happen pretty soon and if it does the question there is how it took them [insert some very short amount of time] to win a cup while my team won't ever do so no matter how hard they try.

But perhaps the more impressive thing wrt the Caps is the comparison of expansion success, since the expansion Caps of the mid 70s were quite possibly the worst hockey team in modern nhl history and Vegas has already won four and some change times the number of regulation games that the Caps won that year LOL!

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
pretty ok with the Canucks loss from this draft

slice_P_PEPPERONI-SLICE.png

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt they win the cup, they've cooled off a bit as of late. Think they'll come down to earth and be out early in the playoffs. Good story though thus far.