• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So we drafted Bobby Bo's son

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O's pick hard-throwing Bonilla, son of former All-Star | orioles.com: News

Brandon, a left-handed pitcher from Grand Canyon, became the Orioles' 25th-round selection in the 2014 First-Year Player Draft on Saturday, and should he decide to forgo his final year of eligibility at GCU, he'll join his father -- the five-time All-Star -- as the second member of his family to play professional baseball.

Brandon primarily throws two pitches and is fastball dominant. His heater gets up into the mid-to-high 90s, although he does have command issues, and his curveball is an effective secondary pitch. He sometimes throws a splitter and is working on developing a changeup.

"He's got tremendous upside," Grand Canyon head coach Andy Stankiewicz said. "I think he'd be the first to tell you he's a work in progress."

"He needs some professionalizing," O's director of scouting Gary Rajsich added.

The O's know there is a good chance Bonilla could return to school for his senior year, though. Bobby wants his son to get his degree, Stankiewicz said. For now, Brandon has six weeks to weigh a couple quality options.

"I like where I'm at," Bonilla said. "I can go to college, I can pursue my career with the Orioles. So we'll just see how it goes day by day."

Think he'll agree to deferred payments if we do actually sign him? :D