• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So The Bye...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just went back and watched a bunch of game clips on youtube and Bennett is like 50/50 between the sides on 1st and 2nd downs but against the rams He hardly EVER went to the blindside which he did a TON every game till the rams game. Which BTW was over Whitworth the Rams best offensive lineman.

Clark out played him going against a much better blocker.

So my question is valid, Why did he avoid the LT? LOL he's a pussy and is all about his own stats not a team player.

Give me Avril every day of the week over Bennett and also give me Clark over him. Hope Avril's career is not over. Best DE on this team and a true TEAM PLAYER!

Hmm perhaps. This is a fairly old article but I believe pins the point I'm trying to make.

Defense 101: Understanding how the Seahawks play

Seattle has always played Bennett as the strong side DE to help with the run support so he'll line up wherever the larger area of the field or TE is going. I BELIEVE (could be way off base here) in I-Form/Big combos your best TE/blocker will line up on the right side (offense) to help your right tackle who is generally weaker than your blindside protector. The point of Avril/Clark/Clemons and at one point Irvin was to be the LEO, which is your weak side rusher and generally matched up one on one with left tackles where the speed can be abused while someone more athletic/larger like Bennett takes away the possibility of a run on the right side where the TE is lined up. Not to mention smaller (in comparison to Bennett) defenders would get utterly destroyed by a TE/OT combo.

That said, I'll have to go back and watch some clips and games. Regardless, I am pretty sure Bennett has lined up at the LDE for most of his years with Seattle where they aren't shuffling him around to a) fill in at DT, or b) take the strong side which could be the left side of the offense pending where the TE (where applicable) is lined up.

Again, most of your clips either show Bennett playing DT or not on the field at all...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm perhaps. This is a fairly old article but I believe pins the point I'm trying to make.

Again, most of your clips either show Bennett playing DT or not on the field at all...

hmmm rarely, most of the clips here show him on the blind side or inside. i think one has him over the RT. This is what i have seen most of the time. But i also noticed when Clark plays he is on the left side ( Clark )so maybe it has more to do with Clark. I didn't think about that.

Now i have seen Bennett and Avril switch sides before when the offense shifts..well a lot so yes the offense formation dictates where he lines up but like i said most of the time it seems he is over the LT.

P.S. look at how HORRID he is at drawing or making players follow him to help out team members to get sacks. He doesn't even try. All about the stats for him.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmm rarely, most of the clips here show him on the blind side or inside. i think one has him over the RT. This is what i have seen most of the time. But i also noticed when Clark plays he is on the left side ( Clark )so maybe it has more to do with Clark. I didn't think about that.

Now i have seen Bennett and Avril switch sides before ..well a lot so yes the offense formation dictates where he lines up but like i said most of the time it seems he is over the LT.

Most of those plays he was either a DT or lined up as an RDE against a strong side defense (TE/extra blocker) though.

Still thanks for the vids. I admittedly have not noticed him lining up on the RDE spot as much, so now I'm going to be keying in on it every game, lol.

I still will argue though, that Avril definitely seems to fill the LEO role moreso (or at least a weak side pass rusher) and Clark was drafted to be that replacement which sort of spurred this initial debate. Michael Bennett from every interview/article I've read (from analysts or Seattle's FO/coaches) was always meant to be a strong side edge rusher when playing end.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of those plays he was either a DT or lined up as an RDE against a strong side defense (TE/extra blocker) though.

Still thanks for the vids. I admittedly have not noticed him lining up on the RDE spot as much, so now I'm going to be keying in on it every game, lol.

I still will argue though, that Avril is definitely our LEO and Clark was drafted to be a LEO replacement. Michael Bennett from every interview/article I've read (from analysts or Seattle's FO/coaches) was NEVER meant to be a LEO.

When he was not lined up inside he was mostly over the LT. WTF are you watching? Also i noticed the TE motioned to his side on a couple of them he was not on the side where the TE lined up to start the play. So your "strong side" is a miss.

Just admit it you got no clue how they use Bennett as neither do i. But from watching all these clips i would say if he is not lined up as a DT then he is on the blind side about 80% of the time. That is unless Clark is on the field and this might be the issue. When Clark is on the field he tends to line up more on the other side so like i said 2 posts ago it might have more to do with Clark.

In that video i linked He was inside 5 times on the blindside 4 times and 1 on the other side.
When Avril is off the field and Clark comes in Clark is on the blindside almost every time, this is my wild card i think.

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish they tracked where they line-up instead of just saying DT or DE ...WHICH SIDE YOU MORONS!?!?! lol
I love me more info, i blame the all 22 i had a what was it? 3 seasons ago lol. Was great having it but since then i find my self digging for stats, stats and more stats because i don't have the all 22 to look at.

I want hot zones for players that show the field where they are like the hotzones in baseball or shotzones for BB lol
I want more info like time before contact for RB to go along with yards before contact, you might say WHAT? but it tells a lot, like did the RB dance behind the LoS. Separation charts showing the average distance between WR and Defender when making or attempting a catch. Time before pressure from our defense. I really thought this was one i could find but nothing. I can find it for or QB though lol. The more info i have the better i feel.

It's my Crack!

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just went back and watched a bunch of game clips on youtube and Bennett is like 50/50 between the sides on 1st and 2nd downs but against the rams He hardly EVER went to the blindside which he did a TON every game till the rams game. Which BTW was over Whitworth the Rams best offensive lineman.

Clark out played him going against a much better blocker.

So my question is valid, Why did he avoid the LT? LOL he's a pussy and is all about his own stats not a team player.

Give me Avril every day of the week over Bennett and also give me Clark over him. Hope Avril's career is not over. Best DE on this team and a true TEAM PLAYER!

Why do you assume that Bennett has control on where he lines up? That is almost certainly dictated by the coaches and scheme, not Bennett's perogative.

I will just assume that you are pissed at Bennett's behaviour and are letting it bleed into performance issues. Two seperate things. Don't let your bias in one area dictate your view of the other.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Avril is so much better than Bennett, then we should be seeing a precipitous decline in the D, which should have started against the Rams.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Avril's game, but 12th's obsession with Bennett is just getting weird.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screaming is one of the very few (I can only think of him) who don't think MB is a strong contributor on a great defense.
Our opponents are quite impressed by him.
I'm not saying MB>CA or visa versa. I'm just fortunate they both are on the Seahawks.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Avril is so much better than Bennett, then we should be seeing a precipitous decline in the D, which should have started against the Rams.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Avril's game, but 12th's obsession with Bennett is just getting weird.

We have seen it when Avril gets hurt. Just look what happend against the Pats when Cliff went down... oh yeah most forget that happened and the Pats came back and won losing Lane didn't help either though. Not so much when Bennett misses games and now Clark is more than capable to where the drop off for losing either one ( just not both ) will be minimal if any and is the reason they shouldn't have gave Bennett a new 3 year 30 mill contract. Also lets just get this straight i never said Bennett sucked or was bad i said he was over rated and not the best DE on this team. Lets look at Avrils vs Bennetts careers.

Sacks are not everything but they are important for a DE!

Avril Avg Sacks per season 7.4
Bennett Avg sacks per season 5.5

Whats another good stat for a DE? How about forced fumbles seeing as they get most of the sacks they should force a lot of fumbles.

FF in career.
Avril 29 recovered 7
Bennett 8 recovered 3

Turnovers are HUGE! Avril causes them

Tackles
Avril 299
Bennett 268

Now Bennett jumps ahead on stats that seem to matter more for a DT (stf)which he should seeing as he plays A LOT of DT and gets a lot of "CLEAN" runs at the QB because of Avrils ability to create space for Bennett. As a DE Avril is better as a DT Bennett is better but Richardson is even better as a DT. Also watch the stunts that Avril pulls off that allows Bennett to get sacks, one of them Cliff is on the outside and rushes hard to the inside while he hides his hold on the tackle pulling the tackle with him into the guard. Bennett loops around and gets the sack which he wouldn't have got with out Avrils "TEAM PLAY" he is a great team player bennett not so much. Every time i watch Bennett try to stunt Avril open he gets called for something or he fails completely.

Bennett is a unique player that can effectively play BOTH DE and DT but he gets way to much credit for what he does and Avril doesn't get enough. I also can think of more than a Handful of plays where Avril forced the QB to step up into the pocket only to get hit by Bennett for a sack. Had Avril not flushed the QB forward Bennett doesn't get those sacks because he only had mediocre to decent penetration.

Also lets not forget that the Pats had the ball on like the 5 inch line and Bennett jumped offsides to make it so they could take a knee. Good chance Seattle forces a safety if he doesn't do that. How many offsides does he get per season? seems like 2 and some times more PER GAME! How many times have we seen Bennett hit a QB late or low? OMG to many to count. A couple seasons ago it seemed like every time we got a INT on Defense it came back because of a late hit or low hit by Bennett.

Lets not forget his hold outs and his telling the team to "pay the man" when ever someones contract came up. Only reason he was saying that is because the more they got paid the more he was going to get, and he hasn't done it since getting paid ( for other players ). Is Bennett worth 3 million more PER year than Avril HELL NO! Is he worth more than 4 mill per year than newly signed Richardson as a DT? HELL NO!

Stats never tell the whole story so yeah don't go there because the eyeball test when you are really watching tells you all you need. Two of the long runs against the Hawks this season were from vacated Holes by Bennett, he adlibs to much. Another thing he has about 6 total sacks playing for Seattle where the QB fell down and Bennett who is not the closes guy to the QB but he gets credit for it because he DIVES on the QB which in 2014 drew a flag on a 3rd down giving the team a 1st. He almost got that same flag thrown in the Rams game. He dove onto Goff and had he hit him about 6 to 8 inches higher they would have thrown the flag because his helmet would have hit Goffs. Thankfully Goff leaned back a little and didn't curl up or yeah that happens.

Then on top of all that i met him and he is a total douche, talk about a bloated ego and no one matters but him -.- But at least he shows a nice front for the kids, i do give him that. Maybe adults have just jaded him to many times lol

JJ Watt is #71 all time in Sacks, you would think he was higher right? nope but when you look at the list you understand why and guess who is #74? yep Cliff Avril. Bennett? #174

I have never seen so many people OVER hype someone like they do him and it has to be because he can effectively play both DE and DT and be disruptive as a DT to go along with a little above average DE play? It's rare to see a player who can effectively be a DT AND a DE more so than say a LB that drops down to play DE on 3rd downs or passing downs. I get it some what that he is unique but some times unique doesn't mean better.

If the Hawks had two Avrils on the team and no Bennett they would be better. If they had Two Bennett's on the team and No Avrils they would be worse. Avril is very athletic and Clark reminds me more of Cliff than Bennett other than Clark has them Both beat with his Athletic ability and speed. Now he needs to stop jumping offsides and looking like Michael out there haha.

Last edited:

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You buried the lead there champ. You met him and he was a total douche. Nuff said.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You buried the lead there champ. You met him and he was a total douche. Nuff said.

thats what you got out of that whole long post? lol

Yes Bennett is a total douche but the fact remains he is over hyped. Cam Newton type over hyped, good players just not as good as everyone want's you to think they are.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett may or may not be overrated but comparing him to Avril is a bit misleading. Avril is a pure pass rushing DE, while Bennett is more of a hybrid DE/DT who is stronger against the run.

I understand that people also don't like Bennett's personality and/or his political stances. But criticing his performance based on these factors is not valid.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett may or may not be overrated but comparing him to Avril is a bit misleading. Avril is a pure pass rushing DE, while Bennett is more of a hybrid DE/DT who is stronger against the run.

I understand that people also don't like Bennett's personality and/or his political stances. But criticing his performance based on these factors is not valid.

there is a Bunch of other things i listed you can look at, this is no stab in the dark. He is a middle of the pack DE that's about the same as Avril against the run. He is less than Avril in forcing turnovers and getting pressure on the QB. He is worse than Avril at Sacks. Avril is more athletic, Avril is faster. Bennett is stronger maybe i am not sure about that because Bennetts Bull rushes rarely work but Avrils do hmm.

Think about all the HYPE Cam Newton gets, you would think he was the greatest QB on the field but he is spotty at best. He is a little better than Average. Bennett is not worth 10 mill per year if Avril is only worth 7mill. He is a Hybred for a defense that no longer really needs help at DT. Avril/Clark would be a better set-up for our DE with Bennett coming off the bench to spell DE and DT's.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is a Bunch of other things i listed you can look at, this is no stab in the dark. He is a middle of the pack DE that's about the same as Avril against the run. He is less than Avril in forcing turnovers and getting pressure on the QB. He is worse than Avril at Sacks. Avril is more athletic, Avril is faster. Bennett is stronger maybe i am not sure about that because Bennetts Bull rushes rarely work but Avrils do hmm.

Think about all the HYPE Cam Newton gets, you would think he was the greatest QB on the field but he is spotty at best. He is a little better than Average. Bennett is not worth 10 mill per year if Avril is only worth 7mill. He is a Hybred for a defense that no longer really needs help at DT. Avril/Clark would be a better set-up for our DE with Bennett coming off the bench to spell DE and DT's.

Your assessment was valid on many points and I respect that. However, you did bring up the hold out and that is a personal issue that really has nothing to do with performance.

I don't disagree with your post. I just feel that while it is well supported that there is some bias in your opinion. I don't agree with Bennett on everything or really like him as a person but I do feel he is a damn good DE/DT who is very good against the run and can provide pressure from inside or outside.

Thanks for the "Dislike" though. I've gotten like 1 or 2 in all my years here and certainly didn't expect it from one of my Hawk bros. I will refrain from saying anything stronger than that for now.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW:
I do agree with you that Bennett is overpaid at $10 million a year.
I also think that Graham, Joekel, and others are also overpaid, quite possibly including Kam.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats what you got out of that whole long post? lol

Yes Bennett is a total douche but the fact remains he is over hyped. Cam Newton type over hyped, good players just not as good as everyone want's you to think they are.

You and the president are equally confused about the meaning of the word 'fact.'

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the "Dislike" though. I've gotten like 1 or 2 in all my years here and certainly didn't expect it from one of my Hawk bros. I will refrain from saying anything stronger than that for now.

It's a bit of an emotional topic for him.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh.

You're running out of p.a. emoji's.