• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Small office printers

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any suggestions? My epson workforce 633 has shit the bed. I think I gave around $200 for it but realized printers have dropped in price over that past 7-8 years, so any suggestions for around the $200 range or even a cheaper one that can handle small office needs. It needs a scanner. Thanks.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't tend to lock into sub $200 units, but we do stay to fairly inexpensive units and almost exclusively stay to laser anymore.

Just know this, those entry level color laser all in one type units may look very attractive and really don't cost much anymore, but often those cheap ones are quite poor in overall toner use and price per cartridge. That's where they recoup their costs. Finding units that are rated/ranked well and are also less expensive for toner and go through more pages per toner cartridge will save a LOT more in the long run even if they are $100 more than their cheap brothers.

And inkjet? To me that line is dead. Bad cartridges, leaks, more pricey per page, mostly shorter duty life expectancy, more routine maintenance, etc. Given that laser prices have dropped so far there just is almost no reason IMO to ever justify any form of inkjet.

FWIW, we have used mostly HP printers and stick to the mid tier lines, but we do have a few brother lasers and maybe some other odd brand somewhere.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't tend to lock into sub $200 units, but we do stay to fairly inexpensive units and almost exclusively stay to laser anymore.

Just know this, those entry level color laser all in one type units may look very attractive and really don't cost much anymore, but often those cheap ones are quite poor in overall toner use and price per cartridge. That's where they recoup their costs. Finding units that are rated/ranked well and are also less expensive for toner and go through more pages per toner cartridge will save a LOT more in the long run even if they are $100 more than their cheap brothers.

And inkjet? To me that line is dead. Bad cartridges, leaks, more pricey per page, mostly shorter duty life expectancy, more routine maintenance, etc. Given that laser prices have dropped so far there just is almost no reason IMO to ever justify any form of inkjet.

FWIW, we have used mostly HP printers and stick to the mid tier lines, but we do have a few brother lasers and maybe some other odd brand somewhere.
So a hp laser? I agree I'd rather spend more up front and not make it up in the little crap like cartridges ect.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have had the most success with HP's, but I know you can ask 10 different people and get 4 different answers. Many love HP, many hate them. There is no doubt several of their models have readily available toner cartridges from just about anywhere and typically aren't the most expensive per sheet on their middle of the road models.

Some will swear by lexmark and I can't really give any feedback on them as I haven't used one in at least 10 years.

The Brother printers we have work well, but we have had to change out parts on them in what feels like earlier than a typical HP time frame.

Xerox has some of the highest rated units, but most are priced out of our range so we haven't taken the plunge.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the input. I gave this a shot.

HP Color LaserJet Pro M277dw All-in-One Laser Printer | Staples®

s0940354_sc7