• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Slaton's Stellar Defense

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The numbers through the first two games...

Scoring Defense #33 at 16 pts/gm

That's the good!

#100 Total Defense - 433.5 yds/gm
#94 Rush Defense - 182.5 yds/gm
#92 Passing Yds Allowed - 251 yds/gm

That's the bad!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know the answer to that.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The numbers through the first two games...

Scoring Defense #33 at 16 pts/gm

That's the good!

#100 Total Defense - 433.5 yds/gm
#94 Rush Defense - 182.5 yds/gm
#92 Passing Yds Allowed - 251 yds/gm

That's the bad!

Its about how any points your score and how many you give up at the end of the day is all that matters last time I checked!:rockon:

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pathetic

BTW, how many points has ol Doc's defense given up?

Zero...To a team who got smoked by Holy Cross last week. I wasn't impressed with the way we played YSU but c'mon man. Bragging about shutting out Morgan State is like me bragging about beating my 18 month old in a foot race.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its about how any points your score and how many you give up at the end of the day is all that matters last time I checked!:rockon:

That is the good news...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the good news...

I think its fair to say when there is a significant turnover in players in this defense there seems to be a one year learning curve before the team sees success on that side of the ball.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, there are some disturbing results through the first two games of the season.

1. Lack of any pressure on the QB. One of the expected strengths of this year's defense was the DL. I know it is early, but these guys have been disappointing. Gibby has not called upon much blitzing' however, most of the blitz packages have been ineffective. The 3 man rush has done nothing. QB's have had way too much time.

2. The CB's don't seem to be able to play man, and zone has been soft. #6 from Mizzou was completely unstoppable by whomever was trying to defend. Last week, WVU played more zone, and freakin' YSU moved the ball at ease through the air.

3. The LB's had a really bad day last week. Hopefully, they'll be ready for BYU's run first QB.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank God we have Skyler and an offense lead by a guy who can make plays, or this season could be an ugly one for sure.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, there are some disturbing results through the first two games of the season.

1. Lack of any pressure on the QB. One of the expected strengths of this year's defense was the DL. I know it is early, but these guys have been disappointing. Gibby has not called upon much blitzing' however, most of the blitz packages have been ineffective. The 3 man rush has done nothing. QB's have had way too much time.

I did not see many blitzes against YSU. We did create pressure against Mizzou. I'll give this one time and hope it is Gibby holding back on his package for B12 games.

2. The CB's don't seem to be able to play man, and zone has been soft. #6 from Mizzou was completely unstoppable by whomever was trying to defend. Last week, WVU played more zone, and freakin' YSU moved the ball at ease through the air.

I think they are better at man coverage then zone. The issue here is tackling. On the long TD pass that YSU had, the CB was there but went for the ball and missed the tackle. Time will tell if B12 receivers run rampant as they did against us last year.

3. The LB's had a really bad day last week. Hopefully, they'll be ready for BYU's run first QB.

I hope so. I'm not sure if Benton is best at MLB.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you are playing a cover 2 or cover 3 you aren't going to get much pressure up front..you are asking them to check the run and they are easily double teamed...and you will see a higher rate of completion by the QB..but its dink and dunk and keeping the ball in front of them...now if they are getting behind the safeties then that is a reason for concern..again..stats depending on how the defense is playing..and if they are are giving up the underneath the stats can be misleading...do they need to change it up and pressure? Sure..but I would suggest its predicated on down and distance...time on the clock..and the score board...its not fun to watch I grant you that..but if they win...that the goal..I will also suggest we will see more of it since pressuring the spread seems to be high risk high reward that hasn't worked out in Wv's favor in many games...especially the likes of Baylor...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are playing a cover 2 or cover 3 you aren't going to get much pressure up front..you are asking them to check the run and they are easily double teamed...and you will see a higher rate of completion by the QB..but its dink and dunk and keeping the ball in front of them...now if they are getting behind the safeties then that is a reason for concern..again..stats depending on how the defense is playing..and if they are are giving up the underneath the stats can be misleading...do they need to change it up and pressure? Sure..but I would suggest its predicated on down and distance...time on the clock..and the score board...its not fun to watch I grant you that..but if they win...that the goal..I will also suggest we will see more of it since pressuring the spread seems to be high risk high reward that hasn't worked out in Wv's favor in many games...especially the likes of Baylor...

Just a reminder, we are #100 in total defense and #92 in passing yards allowed against an FCS team and a mediocre FBS team.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a reminder, we are #100 in total defense and #92 in passing yards allowed against an FCS team and a mediocre FBS team.

Well..let's see how they progress and build some chemistry and trust..

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea: The Texas Tech game will look like a video game IMO. Football teams out score the basketball teams in that one this year..