• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Slaton10'sWeeky Musings...late edition

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well your Ol Pal Slaton10 has been on the road this week and haven't had time to comment on last weekends events so here it goes..

This week Its the "DailySlaton10" all the news that matters to me!...

So just thinking out loud...and I know I will be called a blasphemous by all...but is Rifle really a sport?..isn't it more of a recreational activity like Archery, Curling and Lawn Darts?...okay that last one deserves some boo birds...but serioulsy shouldn' they make rifle more of like a summer Bi-Athalon event...like have a Obstacle Course make these kids carry around a gun, . climb over walls or under barbed wire and run thru mud and then shoot a target instead of just standing there? :scratch:

Any how congrats to the Rifle Team, a true dynasty that no sports publication seems to want to talk about..and especially to Ginny Thrasher who has had a bit of a uneven season with an Olympic Gold Medal hangover she shot a perfect 600 air rifle Sunday against Army...

And a now a few Small College ASS Whippin's of the Week...

Northern State ( Wolves) 66 Mary College ( Marauders) 21

Slippery Rock ( The Rock) 77 Seton Hill ( Griffons) 33

Central Washington ( Wildcats) 51 Simon Fraser ( The Clan) 0 What kind of name is that for a Program?

Kutztown ( Golden Bears) 65 Cheyney ( Wolves) 0

Chowan ( Hawks) 73 Lincoln (Pa) ( Lions) 30

Just thinking out loud FBS...............

Lane Kiffin........could be one of the biggest stories that no one other than yours truly is talking about right now...what a soap opera the spots media could create if they wanted..but no one seems to have the balls to piss off Saban.

Kirk Ferentz...wins a big game once every 6 years or so...this last one should make him coach for life the way it works in Iowa City I guess...:lol:

The Jim McElwain soap opera is Fascinating...what a dysfunctional family down in Gainesville...but...it is the SEC...

Well at least the fans have this down there....this weeks Featured Cheerleaders..you guessed it! Hear is your 2017 Gator Squad!

2016-17 Cheerleaders Roster - Florida Gators

I wonder if Rich thought he may have found a light at the end of the tunnel about getting out of exile in the Desert if he beat USC?..:peep:............:heh:

Well onto the Wv Mountaineers......

Watched the game a second time...there were a few things that immediately stuck out... First Campbell is quickly building a solid gritty football team in Ames...looks a lot like the recipe Snyder has in Manhattan...

Impressed with how the team responded to Dana's challenge...that could have gone one of two ways..and fortunately for this past Saturday they all took the high road...

Where has #91 been all year? Not sure why they Don't line up #88, #49 and #91 together?..Going to guess 88 and 91 can't play the right side as well as the left.. Not sure if it was a significant drop in talent from what that DL has been up against for the last few weeks, but they clearly for maybe the second time all year were able to compete at the LOS , get off blocks and show gap control...POG's for all three for sure!...I hope that carries into this weekend, as I have said over and over..if the front 3 can't push the 33 defense can't work...once again however #46 every time he was in there ISU ran right at him....he is not a FBS DL lineman..maybe in the American Conference...

Can't say enough Good things about how Robinson, Tonkery and Bailey played...#6 had his best game of he year by a mile!

The LB's continue to improve week in and week out..if they can get #5 back in the lineup this team has a outside shot of running the table from here...( This weekend is big if they can get a win in Manhattan)

#8 is a first round draft choice no If's, Ands or Buts..too bad the DL has played so poorly this year, it has held him up from really wreaking havoc back there..

Too bad #2 doesn't have another year of eligibility, I think he could have been the force his brother was next year...

Is it just me but I don't care how hard he tried or what the numbers said I hate when #25 is in the game ...to me all the carries should be split with #4 and #32... put #25 in the slot and use him as a poor mans Tavon Austin or something...they are just a better team with the other two backs in the game..

Was proud of the OL especially the right side...had their best game in sometime...played hard and owned the LOS...

No way Grier was going to have back to back bad games...no one in the country throws the deep ball like this kid...

I have no idea why I get caught up in yahoo's comments on Facebook about criticism of the team..but I guess when your dug in and even if Wv went undefeated they would still want Dana out...but to chastise not scoring in the second half and see the game as a failure is mind boggling to me...

WV PLAYED THE 15TH RANKED TEAM IN THE COUNTRY!! A team with wins AT OU and only gave up 7 points to the #4 team in the county just the week before.... A WIN IS A WIN, who cares when they put up their 20 points...GEEEEEEEZUS!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just thinking out loud FBS...............

Lane Kiffin........could be one of the biggest stories that no one other than yours truly is talking about right now...what a soap opera the spots media could create if they wanted..but no one seems to have the balls to piss off Saban.

WV PLAYED THE 15TH RANKED TEAM IN THE COUNTRY!! A team with wins AT OU and only gave up 7 points to the #4 team in the county just the week before.... A WIN IS A WIN, who cares when they put up their 20 points...GEEEEEEEZUS!

I don't like Kiffin but at the same time, you let Bama drop a game or 2 here down the stretch especially if the offense struggles in doing so.... I got a feeling we will see some pretty entertaining stuff.

Agree, this team has some pretty ugly stretches during games, it has all year and that's kind of a hallmark of young/inexperienced teams but gotta give em credit, they held it together when it mattered most to get a tough win against a tough team playing a lot of older guys when we needed a bounce back week pretty bad. BTW, anyone else think about Nehlen sitting somewhere with a big ol smile on his face when we converted with that draw play?:laugh:

Gonna have our hands full this week, KSU needs this game like we needed that game last week, they are trying to get bowl eligible and they are rotating some dual threat QB's around trying to find anything that works. I cant help but think of the Baylor game and how changing QB's looked in that game and Snyder sitting out in Kansas with a big ol grin on HIS face thinking about it too, our defense is in for a challenging week, and that aint good imo.
We can beat KState, their pass defense hasn't been great but again, our offense hasn't been exactly consistent either so, somethin gotta give.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like Kiffin but at the same time, you let Bama drop a game or 2 here down the stretch especially if the offense struggles in doing so.... I got a feeling we will see some pretty entertaining stuff.

Agree, this team has some pretty ugly stretches during games, it has all year and that's kind of a hallmark of young/inexperienced teams but gotta give em credit, they held it together when it mattered most to get a tough win against a tough team playing a lot of older guys when we needed a bounce back week pretty bad. BTW, anyone else think about Nehlen sitting somewhere with a big ol smile on his face when we converted with that draw play?:laugh:

Gonna have our hands full this week, KSU needs this game like we needed that game last week, they are trying to get bowl eligible and they are rotating some dual threat QB's around trying to find anything that works. I cant help but think of the Baylor game and how changing QB's looked in that game and Snyder sitting out in Kansas with a big ol grin on HIS face thinking about it too, our defense is in for a challenging week, and that aint good imo.
We can beat KState, their pass defense hasn't been great but again, our offense hasn't been exactly consistent either so, somethin gotta give.

I don't know if I would agree the offense has been inconsistent..they were averaging 49 points a game up to the TCU game...and scored almost 40 against OKIE State with 5 turnovers...I will say this though the 3 teams that had any kind of a decent defense ( Va Tech, TCU and Iowa State) all held them to under 25 points.. The point you made about youth...looked at their roster the other day...this is a VERY young team...Dana may possibly have this group poised to make a run for the next 4 or 5 years...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa at night has been pretty special. Last year, it was a top ranked Harbaugh team that went down to the Hawkeyes.

This year's game at KSU eerily takes me back two years ago. KSU was down to their 3rd string QB for that game, and WVU knocked him out early in the 2nd half. Into the game comes their starting WR to run the offense, and he proceeds to complete but 4 passes. One of those for a TD...

2 years ago, KSU had one of the most prolific KR's in the country. After giving up a huge return setting them up in excellent field position, WVU elects to try their luck again... so after a score, he returns the next KO to the house.

This year's KSU team is a surprise for me. I know injuries have impacted them at QB, but honestly I don't know much more about this team. They had a ton of experience returning this year, and many experts expected them to compete for the conference championship this year. Their back up QB went down last week with a possible concussion... so, will he be able to play this week? If not, a RS Fr comes in to start his first ever game.

KSU has a pretty good rush defense, but certainly not the best WVU has faced this year. They have a terrible pass defense... one of the worst in the country. In conference play, KSU defense has actually been worse than WVU's... they're averaging 491 yds/gm compared to our 465. They're scoring defense is slightly better... 30.5 vs 33.7.

I hope all the experts are wrong and WVU finally gets a win in Manhattan. The last 3 games against the Wildcats have been decided by a total of 8 points... only 1 point separated the two teams the past two years.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa at night has been pretty special. Last year, it was a top ranked Harbaugh team that went down to the Hawkeyes.

This year's game at KSU eerily takes me back two years ago. KSU was down to their 3rd string QB for that game, and WVU knocked him out early in the 2nd half. Into the game comes their starting WR to run the offense, and he proceeds to complete but 4 passes. One of those for a TD...

2 years ago, KSU had one of the most prolific KR's in the country. After giving up a huge return setting them up in excellent field position, WVU elects to try their luck again... so after a score, he returns the next KO to the house.

This year's KSU team is a surprise for me. I know injuries have impacted them at QB, but honestly I don't know much more about this team. They had a ton of experience returning this year, and many experts expected them to compete for the conference championship this year. Their back up QB went down last week with a possible concussion... so, will he be able to play this week? If not, a RS Fr comes in to start his first ever game.

KSU has a pretty good rush defense, but certainly not the best WVU has faced this year. They have a terrible pass defense... one of the worst in the country. In conference play, KSU defense has actually been worse than WVU's... they're averaging 491 yds/gm compared to our 465. They're scoring defense is slightly better... 30.5 vs 33.7.

I hope all the experts are wrong and WVU finally gets a win in Manhattan. The last 3 games against the Wildcats have been decided by a total of 8 points... only 1 point separated the two teams the past two years.

Well...stats usually go out the window in this game...what I like about Wv going into it...they just played a team that looks a lot like Kstate...but the comment you made about pass defense...that will be KSU's demise..it will be a close game as usual, but I THINK Wv may just have too much for their backend to handle..
:tj:

Okay I am going to Hijack my own thread for a minute...forgot about pontificating the Huggy extension..I have no issues with the team extending Huggins for 4 years and I do realize when you do the math its only about a 3.5% increase year over year but still the hard number is He's GUARANTEED $100,000 increase year over year..I mean WTF? if he finishes at the bottom of the Conference or even worse gets knocked out of the NCAA's by the Sisters of the Mercy again or maybe doesn't even make the Tourney he's going to get a 6 figure increase in salary?...WOW what a gig he has!

West Virginia coach Bob Huggins signs 4-year extension

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For coaches with 800+ wins, Huggins contract is a great deal.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For coaches with 800+ wins, Huggins contract is a great deal.

His record at Wv:
229–118 (.660)...which is all I care about...

168 Wins between AKron and Walsh....

Conversely Bill Self:

Record 416–87 (.827) at Kansas

C'mon brother!...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His record at Wv:
229–118 (.660)...which is all I care about...

168 Wins between AKron and Walsh....

Conversely Bill Self:

Record 416–87 (.827) at Kansas

C'mon brother!...
B12 record as of today:
Huggins 51-39
Holgorsen 26-25

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B12 record as of today:
Huggins 51-39
Holgorsen 26-25
:scratch::scratch:

Well when you get to play every team in the conference twice every year you should have a few more wins?

Whats his record against the Southland Conference?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch::scratch:

Well when you get to play every team in the conference twice every year you should have a few more wins?

Whats his record against the Southland Conference?
You were complaining about winning percentage, which would be the same if you played each league team once or a dozen times. Huggins is a HOF coach, and his teams have been trending upward since the lost class.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Embarrassing effort by our HOF coach’s crew tonight.

Team quit on him...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early November, I'll worry bout hoops once the football season is over....

and so will the basketball team so it seems :dhd:

Huggs has a lot of work to do. The frontcourt is awful. There was no sign of senior leadership last night. No depth in the backcourt.

Nowhere to go but up...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huggs has a lot of work to do. The frontcourt is awful. There was no sign of senior leadership last night. No depth in the backcourt.

Nowhere to go but up...
They had a long airplane ride, which, if I remember correctly, is a valid reason to lose games. At this exact moment, I am more worried about the "high powered" offense on the football team that can't hold onto the ball, and can't score in the second half. The lottery mentality offense is maddening, we have a dozen three and outs, tons of pics, relying on sand lot long bombs connecting 5% of the time.......thankful the defense has stepped up big the last couple weeks!!!!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had a long airplane ride, which, if I remember correctly, is a valid reason to lose games. At this exact moment, I am more worried about the "high powered" offense on the football team that can't hold onto the ball, and can't score in the second half. The lottery mentality offense is maddening, we have a dozen three and outs, tons of pics, relying on sand lot long bombs connecting 5% of the time.......thankful the defense has stepped up big the last couple weeks!!!!!

WVU’s opponent Friday night had a long plane ride too! Unless I’m missing something...

You may want to worry about the high powered offense struggling to do all of the things you listed.

I... on the other hand... will enjoy the fact I witnessed WVU beating KSU in Manhattan for the first time ever. WVU was a 2.5 pt underdog. And, they were totally in control of the game from the end of the 1st qtr until the final second clicked off the clock.

Last edited:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 Turnovers and zero points in the second half on the road vs Snyder...That's nuts

Hey we won, I'm happy but....we gotta figure something out offensively and WR's have to stop with the drops and catch balls that hit em in the hands.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just going to point out that we won both games where we did not score in the second half.......so how important is that really????:scratch:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just going to point out that we won both games where we did not score in the second half.......so how important is that really????:scratch:

It’s a clear sign of eminent doom! That should be obvious...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HUH, did you REALLY just type that? It wasn't very long ago that lack of style points in wins were reason to change coaches, now scoring in the second half doesn't matter??????