• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Slaton10's Musings Week 8

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets see if I can put a few sentences together today, feeling a little bleary eyed after a soggy day in Morgantown on Saturday, followed by putting out the flames later that night with BBW and some family with a little Moonshine and then watching my Steelers as I flipped back and forth with the crazy World Series Game that was an instant Classic!..what a friggin baseball game!

A little Change of pace this ...we are going to lead off with the Division II as whippings of the week!...

Quachita Baptist ( WITF is that?) 55 Arkansas Monticello 21

Minnesota State Morehead 51 Mary College 19

Millersville 59 Cheyney 7

Findlay 49 Malone 0

Assumption 63 Stonehill 0

And last but not least Colorado Mesa 77 New Mexico Highlands 14

On to the game:

Have to give my boy BBW and especially his sister and his son huge props, we did not leave that game until the final whistle!...it miserable out there by mid fourth quarter..and they weren't budging!..

Such a bizarre game at times...why is it when these two teams meet turnovers seem to come in bunches for both teams..seems like it happens every year..

The Good..special teams was good... except for my Kinney who continues to kick the ball straight up in the air which leads to the ball every time bouncing backwards.. The back up placekicker did a solid job and a blocked punt for TD was the highlight...

Have to tell you though and it kind of summed up the day in a lot respects and to me the key to why WV lost Oklahoma State just out physicaled the Mountaineers..there was a holding call on the one kickoff that Simms made a decent return on...the kid wasn't holding...he got freight trained by a Okie State player who took him off his feet and I am sure he was having that Rickey Bobby moment thinking "I am flying and this is not good", well he ends up on his head with the Kickoff dude on top of him and they call holding on the Wv player...that was what kind of day it was..

The offense...just wasn't Will's day...the defense for Okie State was good...stout up front (everthing Wv isn't) big physical DB's that played with really good speed and LB Corp that moved laterally really well...honestly I have never seen an OSU defense play so physically...

Is it just me or is anyone else tired of watching Simms drop passes, not only that he stopped on one route leading to an interception and then didn't even turn around when the ball was coming to him on another play that led to a second interception....he SUCKS!

The two deep that OSU played did a good job of keeping Sills in check...not sure of Jennings took a shot somewhere in the game but he wasn't exactly driving to the ball on some plays...

The offensive line...was offensive....played poorly all day in pass protection and run...the backs were no better in chipping...there was a play right in front of BBW and I the Right Tackle Whiffed and then #4 Whiffed and down went Will...we just looked at each other and laughed..knowing a long day coming...

Not being able to convert a single point off the two fumbles was a killer!

Defense...I have to tell you it didn't seem like they played bad enough to give up 50 points..they dropped 8 all day and that seemed to keep #2 in check for most of the day...the 5 turnovers certainly helped get those points on the board for sure..but I have to tell you #46 had his ass handed to him all day..completely out manned by the LT and RG of OKIE State...have to give it to the kid though he played as hard as he could all game long..but clearly he is a liability teams of been running left all year and I doubt that stops going forward he just can't hold his gap or get off a block...for that matter none of the front 3 can get off their blocks...but tip your cap to OSU there is a reason they were picked as a favorite to win the conference and are a top 10 team they played the part on Saturday..

Even with all that bad when Wv cut it to 6 you thought they were going to pull it out and then came one of the most aggravating things that I CANNOT STAND...the infamous PI called by the back judge that was furthest away like by 35 yards than the two side judges standing within 4 yards of the play...it was a killer..

Next week's game is big...and after watching IOWA STATE.... DAD...that team is believing..they are a physical gritty group..Wv can either match the intensity or they can fold up...

My opinion ...Grier doesn't have two bad games in a row...this team has to know how big this game is for a successful year..

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, I'm still hungover today!

Such a strange game! This is three in a row that have been hard to process both during the game and later.

Okie St had big ass boys on both the OL and DL. Our DL is small and young. Each game, they're facing big ass boys, and I think they are trying their hardest too. The season takes a toll.

Our offense essentially handed them 17 points with ridulous TO's. They converted TO's for something like 28 points, while our offense couldn't score.

TOP was fucking stupid again. Our offense has to score to keep up.

3 losses to three teams ranked in the AP top 13. Just not good enough to play as poorly as they did Saturday and beat a team like Okie St. First loss of the season when we couldn't overcome mistakes and get back to a one possession game late.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, I'm still hungover today!

Such a strange game! This is three in a row that have been hard to process both during the game and later.

Okie St had big ass boys on both the OL and DL. Our DL is small and young. Each game, they're facing big ass boys, and I think they are trying their hardest too. The season takes a toll.

Our offense essentially handed them 17 points with ridulous TO's. They converted TO's for something like 28 points, while our offense couldn't score.

TOP was fucking stupid again. Our offense has to score to keep up.

3 losses to three teams ranked in the AP top 13. Just not good enough to play as poorly as they did Saturday and beat a team like Okie St. First loss of the season when we couldn't overcome mistakes and get back to a one possession game late.

I think your spot on..OL looked out of gas...no push...not quick enough in pass protection..no punch at the LOS...they have to recruit some big asses up front...the overall size of OSU was glaring in comparison..they lost at the LOS on both sides of the ball and that usually spells defeat...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on the Line(s) as well, just too small and too young right now. I think that had more to do with Griers rough day as anything else. Simms... I hope it's just growing pains but his focus leaves a lot to be desired (imagine that ,pothead ,cough cough :lol:) But I DO like lil Tevin Bush in the field and believe Dana and Spav need to get creative in finding ways to get the ball in his hands somewhere in the opponents secondary. Might also be time to start Isaiah Hardy on the OL to try n get some punch for the run game.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on the Line(s) as well, just too small and too young right now. I think that had more to do with Griers rough day as anything else. Simms... I hope it's just growing pains but his focus leaves a lot to be desired (imagine that ,pothead ,cough cough :lol:) But I DO like lil Tevin Bush in the field and believe Dana and Spav need to get creative in finding ways to get the ball in his hands somewhere in the opponents secondary. Might also be time to start Isaiah Hardy on the OL to try n get some punch for the run game.

A couple of kids need to get touches..Pettaway gets maybe 2 carries and Bush seems like a kid that should get some snaps...

Watching Simms play for me he is unimpressive...just seems to be able to run fast..no cutting ability and I am not sure from the last couple of games I have seen him play personally that he's running the right routes...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Simms play for me he is unimpressive...just seems to be able to run fast..no cutting ability and I am not sure from the last couple of games I have seen him play personally that he's running the right routes...

Many receivers have made their living by being the fastest guy on the field. Simms has alot in common with Shelton Gibson and has put up much better stats so far. good hands great speed and less than average route running ability. He has 23 catches for 433 yards with 5 TDs so far in his Freshman year. With Simms, our kickoff and punt return game has improved exponentially.

Simms will learn from his mistakes and get better. At this juncture, my prediction is that he joins a long list of WVU receivers in the NFL.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simms has good hands? Why does he drop so many damn passes then?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Many receivers have made their living by being the fastest guy on the field. Simms has alot in common with Shelton Gibson and has put up much better stats so far. good hands great speed and less than average route running ability. He has 23 catches for 433 yards with 5 TDs so far in his Freshman year. With Simms, our kickoff and punt return game has improved exponentially.

Simms will learn from his mistakes and get better. At this juncture, my prediction is that he joins a long list of WVU receivers in the NFL.

I got the impression on Saturday he doesn't even know the play book....not good.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got the impression on Saturday he doesn't even know the play book....not good.

I correct myself, this is Simms Soph year.

He must know something to be our there as much as he is. Right now, I see him as a one trick pony and he performs his trick pretty well...at least when he looks up for the ball. From my looks on Monday night, I think he will be a great fit for the Redskins.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep this pretty much sums it up...and they still had a chance to work a miracle to win the game..From the Smoking Musket..

This was the story of the game. We turned the ball over five times, and Oklahoma State scored touchdowns following four of them, with the only failure coming on a missed FG midway through the 3rd quarter. The lengths of those scoring drives? 61, 51, 20, 17, and 12 (missed FG). Child’s play for one of the country’s best offenses.

Conversely, they turned the ball over four times, and we were only able to manage points when our defense and special teams did the work for us.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the story of the game. We turned the ball over five times, and Oklahoma State scored touchdowns following four of them, with the only failure coming on a missed FG midway through the 3rd quarter. The lengths of those scoring drives? 61, 51, 20, 17, and 12 (missed FG). Child’s play for one of the country’s best offenses.

Conversely, they turned the ball over four times, and we were only able to manage points when our defense and special teams did the work for us.

Truly... the difference in the game. WVU's defense generated TO's... but, our offense could not convert them into points.