• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Slaton10's Monday Musings..Week 4

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC faced punishment for that issue?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was that shit done when Butch Davis was the UNC coach? The NCAA punished them.

From cbssports.com...

Thorp explained Davis' firing as a necessary move to restore North Carolina's integrity. Days later, Baddour announced he was stepping down as AD after 14 years of running UNC's athletic department. One year later, Thorp stepped down too, as allegations and editorials in the local media continued to batter the school's reputation in the wake of an academic scandal that ran a lot deeper than just some football players.

In March 2012, the NCAA hit the UNC football program with a one-year bowl ban and docked the Tar Heels 15 scholarships over three years for previously discovered improper benefits, including cash and travel accommodations. The NCAA also hammered Blake, the ousted defensive line coach, with a three-year show-cause punishment for failing to report $31,000 in outside income while he was "either employed or compensated by" a sports agent.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From cbssports.com...

Thorp explained Davis' firing as a necessary move to restore North Carolina's integrity. Days later, Baddour announced he was stepping down as AD after 14 years of running UNC's athletic department. One year later, Thorp stepped down too, as allegations and editorials in the local media continued to batter the school's reputation in the wake of an academic scandal that ran a lot deeper than just some football players.

In March 2012, the NCAA hit the UNC football program with a one-year bowl ban and docked the Tar Heels 15 scholarships over three years for previously discovered improper benefits, including cash and travel accommodations. The NCAA also hammered Blake, the ousted defensive line coach, with a three-year show-cause punishment for failing to report $31,000 in outside income while he was "either employed or compensated by" a sports agent.

Yes ..same thing...and the same thing more or less that was going on at Louisville...Louisville will only get a slap on the wrist..a precedent is already in place

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter what the rules are,someone will find a way to cheat. Capitalism at its worst. These top high school kids are worth a bunch of money and as long as someone is willing to pay, many will take the cash now. people paying will continue to be more discreet and coaches will have plausible deniability as the dirty work is done by boosters, shoe companies or others. Some coaches may be in the dark as elite players are secretly funneled into a program by improper means.

If you are the star player what do you do? When you go to school, you make no money; you can't help support your parents, sometimes children too. You cannot use your fame to make money, but an agent comes and tells you that he will buy your parents a home, get money to the mother of your kids and you get to play in the ACC to showcase your talents for the pros. All the time, you have little choice because the pros won't let you in out of high school. Many kids need the college game to hone their skills so they can turn pro.. While marketable commodities in college, they could always end up injured or not make it to the next level.

IS there any chance that this changes. Schools take the risk, sometimes they win the NC and sometimes they get a couple of years probation, only to come back stronger. For a coach, one of these players can mean millions in future compensation. The incentives are all in the wrong places. Kids want money now, coaches want to win, agents and shoe companies make big profits on these kids.

Until the economics change, I don't see this going away. If we could allow players to capitalize on their popularity while in college, we can remove some of the financial incentives to take money illegally. Let Nike sign Freshman to shoe deals, let agents sign kids out of high school. Allow kids to do advertisements and commercials.

Would you complain if Will Grier had a shoe contract? Or, would you rather see him go pro after this season, so he can support his wife and kid? Would Shelton Gibson be better off in a WVU uniform and a Nike contract as opposed to being on the practice squad for the eagles? Every year, kids leave college early so they can go pro. I can see a player who is set to go in the first round and get guaranteed millions leaving, but you also see many others leaving when they won't be drafted until the 4th round or later. Those kids benefit the most by being able to get their education and help their teams for a full 4 years.

The powers at bee (NCAA) seems to comfortable with things as they are. As long as the right people are paid, expect nothing to change.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC got hammered pretty hard!

UNC as well.

UofL is currently under punishment, the sanctions were announced this summer. If guilty of further NCAA violations while under sanctions, I think they mirror SMU. SMU continued to pay its players after receiving punishment.

I guess one could say the FBI probe is a different category of cheating than the prostitute scandal. So... maybe it isn't exactly the same.

Certainly shows UofL did not concern themselves with following NCAA rules.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter what the rules are,someone will find a way to cheat. Capitalism at its worst. These top high school kids are worth a bunch of money and as long as someone is willing to pay, many will take the cash now. people paying will continue to be more discreet and coaches will have plausible deniability as the dirty work is done by boosters, shoe companies or others. Some coaches may be in the dark as elite players are secretly funneled into a program by improper means.

If you are the star player what do you do? When you go to school, you make no money; you can't help support your parents, sometimes children too. You cannot use your fame to make money, but an agent comes and tells you that he will buy your parents a home, get money to the mother of your kids and you get to play in the ACC to showcase your talents for the pros. All the time, you have little choice because the pros won't let you in out of high school. Many kids need the college game to hone their skills so they can turn pro.. While marketable commodities in college, they could always end up injured or not make it to the next level.

IS there any chance that this changes. Schools take the risk, sometimes they win the NC and sometimes they get a couple of years probation, only to come back stronger. For a coach, one of these players can mean millions in future compensation. The incentives are all in the wrong places. Kids want money now, coaches want to win, agents and shoe companies make big profits on these kids.

Until the economics change, I don't see this going away. If we could allow players to capitalize on their popularity while in college, we can remove some of the financial incentives to take money illegally. Let Nike sign Freshman to shoe deals, let agents sign kids out of high school. Allow kids to do advertisements and commercials.

Would you complain if Will Grier had a shoe contract? Or, would you rather see him go pro after this season, so he can support his wife and kid? Would Shelton Gibson be better off in a WVU uniform and a Nike contract as opposed to being on the practice squad for the eagles? Every year, kids leave college early so they can go pro. I can see a player who is set to go in the first round and get guaranteed millions leaving, but you also see many others leaving when they won't be drafted until the 4th round or later. Those kids benefit the most by being able to get their education and help their teams for a full 4 years.

The powers at bee (NCAA) seems to comfortable with things as they are. As long as the right people are paid, expect nothing to change.

I agree with alot of what you messaged..it comes back around to the conversation we have on here at least 3 times a year...these schools are making a mint off the backs of kids with a a paper loss called a college education ...these kids are exploited..they know it...they have no assurances that they are going pro like you said so why not take the money grab..can't blame them..but definitely the likes of TRICKY RICKEY!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...possibly-facing-ncaa-death-penalty/705030001/

The term "death penalty" has been phased out of the NCAA's bylaws in recent years, replaced by the notion of "aggravating factors."

The earlier U of L basketball recruiting scandal would count as an aggravating factor according to the first guideline: “Multiple Level I violations by the institution or involved individual.”

“An aggravated case is one in which aggravating factors for a party outweigh mitigating factors for that party,” the bylaws say. “A case should not be classified as aggravated solely because the number of aggravating factors is larger than the number of mitigating factors. An egregious aggravating factor may outweigh multiple mitigating factors.”

Should a program already facing sanctions commit another major infraction, that would certainly qualify as an aggravating factor, and those could lead to more severe punishments than it would have otherwise faced.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louisville basketball should be given death penalty if bombshell NCAA allegations prove true

But the U.S. Attorney’s release includes several pages that unmistakably paint a picture of Louisville as heavily involved in the scheme. As Joon H. Kim, the acting United States attorney for the Southern District of New York, said in a news conference Tuesday, “Google is an amazing thing.” In other words, you can use it to learn that the school described by the U.S. Attorney’s office as being a public research university in Kentucky with approximately 22,640 students is clearly Louisville. And Louisville, according to the feds, was the beneficiary of a $100,000 agreement to bring a star recruit into the program.

Connect the dots on that and the star player is Brian Bowen, a five-star prospect whose recruitment was unusual, meandering and much-delayed before he suddenly committed to Louisville on June 3.

The financial agreement to deliver Bowen to Louisville was reached “in or around May of 2017,” according to the release. It states: “At the request of at least one coach from [Louisville] … the defendants, and others agreed to funnel $100,000 [payable in four installments] from [Adidas] to the family of [Bowen].”

Furthermore, the feds allege that in a July 27 meeting in a Las Vegas hotel, a Louisville assistant was part of a discussion to pay a player from the class of 2019 to commit to the Cardinals. Part of the discussion was to note that the involved school “was already on probation with the NCAA” and that “they would have to be particularly careful with how they passed money” to the player.

There is video surveillance of the meeting, according to the release. They have an audio recording. The lawmen are not guessing here; they have hard evidence.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bigger issue/question....why the hell are so many high school/college kids taking care of their parents????

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From cbssports.com...

No death penalty..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louisville basketball should be given death penalty if bombshell NCAA allegations prove true

But the U.S. Attorney’s release includes several pages that unmistakably paint a picture of Louisville as heavily involved in the scheme. As Joon H. Kim, the acting United States attorney for the Southern District of New York, said in a news conference Tuesday, “Google is an amazing thing.” In other words, you can use it to learn that the school described by the U.S. Attorney’s office as being a public research university in Kentucky with approximately 22,640 students is clearly Louisville. And Louisville, according to the feds, was the beneficiary of a $100,000 agreement to bring a star recruit into the program.

Connect the dots on that and the star player is Brian Bowen, a five-star prospect whose recruitment was unusual, meandering and much-delayed before he suddenly committed to Louisville on June 3.

The financial agreement to deliver Bowen to Louisville was reached “in or around May of 2017,” according to the release. It states: “At the request of at least one coach from [Louisville] … the defendants, and others agreed to funnel $100,000 [payable in four installments] from [Adidas] to the family of [Bowen].”

Furthermore, the feds allege that in a July 27 meeting in a Las Vegas hotel, a Louisville assistant was part of a discussion to pay a player from the class of 2019 to commit to the Cardinals. Part of the discussion was to note that the involved school “was already on probation with the NCAA” and that “they would have to be particularly careful with how they passed money” to the player.

There is video surveillance of the meeting, according to the release. They have an audio recording. The lawmen are not guessing here; they have hard evidence.

I read the other day Rickey saying that he will be exonerated when the TRUTH comes out! LMAO!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No death penalty..

I'm not sure I understand. UNC faced charges and was punished. At the time those were handed out, was UNC under probation or serving punishment for previous major violations?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the other day Rickey saying that he will be exonerated when the TRUTH comes out! LMAO!

Hard to believe the FBI hasn't crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's, but no problem in going down with a fight.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I understand. UNC faced charges and was punished. At the time those were handed out, was UNC under probation or serving punishment for previous major violations?

Well I understand the point...but do you really need to get more than one swing for that kind of corruption? Its saying OKAY well we committed a felony but since you weren't on probation before we will give you a pass...how many people do you know that walk out of a courtroom with an extortion felony and just get a pass?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I understand the point...but do you really need to get more than one swing for that kind of corruption? Its saying OKAY well we committed a felony but since you weren't on probation before we will give you a pass...how many people do you know that walk out of a courtroom with an extortion felony and just get a pass?

Fair point. IMO, UNC paid a huge price. Butch Davis... fired. AD... gone. President... gone. Accreditation sanctions placed. Academic reputation tarnished.

I don't feel they got a pass. As I've stated, if you cheat... get caught and penalized... and continue to cheat while under punishment... you've proven you gone rouge. You get the death penalty. I see you UofL...

If you get caught and suffer the penalities laid down, and stay relatively clean with no major violations for awhile... I believe you get treated differently. Get a pass as you say...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair point. IMO, UNC paid a huge price. Butch Davis... fired. AD... gone. President... gone. Accreditation sanctions placed. Academic reputation tarnished.

I don't feel they got a pass. As I've stated, if you cheat... get caught and penalized... and continue to cheat while under punishment... you've proven you gone rouge. You get the death penalty. I see you UofL...

If you get caught and suffer the penalities laid down, and stay relatively clean with no major violations for awhile... I believe you get treated differently. Get a pass as you say...

I do...think about it..how is it that criminal charges were not brought against these people. Basically the laws you and I live by get to be governed in a rouge environment without any consequences that you and I would suffer..think about it...you do something wrong ..legally wrong within in your practice..and the head dude at your office tells investigators "hey don't worry we banned him for the country club for a year and we are reducing his salary for six months , no need to press charges!! LOL! ..a DA should have filed criminal charges against UNC but I am sure he or the governor are Alumni and just turned a convenient blind eye..same for USC...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA has no balls. I don't expect anything significant out of this. These schools will recover completely in 3 or 4 years. New coaches and ADs lose a few scholarships and miss the tourney a couple of years and back to business as usual.