• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Signed Gerald Hodges today

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stunned he was still on the market

He played well for San Francisco last year and is only 26

I don't know how we managed this

Signing Hodges at the very least prevents the nightmare of us starting some guy named Ramon Humber at linebacker

He fills one linebacker spot

Middle linebacker will be either Reggie Ragland or Preston Brown

what I'd like to see us do is have Lorenzo Alexander as a 3rd pass rusher, I like him more going after the QB than in coverage, he will be able to keep Hughes and Lawson fresh. That feels that need because we have no one behind Hughes and Lawson right now.

Loser of the Ragland/Brown competition starts at the other outside linebacker spot instead of Alexander.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hodges could overtake Preston. Milano could be the starting Will before long.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I'm not sure why he was still on the market. Did he have his heart set on a team(s), and got passed on by them, so he settles later in FA? Hidden injury concerns? I wanted Miami to get him. Instead, we overpayed an aging, declining Timmons.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hodges could overtake Preston. Milano could be the starting Will before long.

We only have 3 or 4 starting caliber linebackers this year, depending on whether you consider Alexander a linebacker or defensive end. Brown originally played in the 4-3 with us so I think he will fit better than most anticipate. Milano honestly seems more like a special teamer, same with Vallejo at least for this year. Vallejo could develop into a starter down the road if he bulks up without losing his speed

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I'm not sure why he was still on the market. Did he have his heart set on a team(s), and got passed on by them, so he settles later in FA? Hidden injury concerns? I wanted Miami to get him. Instead, we overpayed an aging, declining Timmons.

You guys love the overpaying for free agents strategy, but to your credit it has worked better for you than it has for the team up I-95 that has no fans

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We only have 3 or 4 starting caliber linebackers this year, depending on whether you consider Alexander a linebacker or defensive end. Brown originally played in the 4-3 with us so I think he will fit better than most anticipate. Milano honestly seems more like a special teamer, same with Vallejo at least for this year. Vallejo could develop into a starter down the road if he bulks up without losing his speed

I think Milano could really surprise. I see him as one of those S/OLB hybrid players that plays the "big nickel" type defense (much like Mark Barron with the Rams), only with much more LB experience than Barron to start with. I don't know much about Humber, so I may be selling him short. Ragland, Preston, and Hodges are much more ILB/Sam types in my opinion, solid run defenders more than a chase-down Will like Milano could be. I guess time will tell.

I think of Alexander as more of a DE personally, but he's another guy that excels at ST that could fit multiple places I guess.