• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Patriots Draft a QB? What Round?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny Manziel was back in the local sports news this weekend. No one said they saw him or said difinetly that JM was at Foxboro or in Mass. this weekend but they all implying that the patriots now have a more than passing interest. Sports Sunday has a short (? 5 minutes) on the Patriots interest and about his change since get on meds and not drinking.

Again, can't be sure if they're drumming up viewership or discussing something that has meat on the bone. I can't believe that they're trying to get viewers because other stations aren't going to give them credit for anything and if you don't watch, you won't know anyway......

I just wish they'd say something positive like, "Johnny Manziel was seen at Gillette Stadium on Saturday afternoon. It's unknown what took place but we know he was there for two and half hours before leaving.
I sure hope this does not happen.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cardinals surprisingly promote QB Charles Kanoff from practice squad
That says that the Cardinals are protecting themselves from any team stripping their practice squad. Someone had to show interest and if they want Kanoff it will cost them a draft pick.

That wouldn't be a bad rule for the NFL to adopt. If a team takes a player from a PS they have to give that team a 3rd or 4th round draft pick in the upcoming draft. No one can predict injuries but grabbing a player that;s being developed and is practicing every day with another team sucks, especially if there is no penalty.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That says that the Cardinals are protecting themselves from any team stripping their practice squad. Someone had to show interest and if they want Kanoff it will cost them a draft pick.

That wouldn't be a bad rule for the NFL to adopt. If a team takes a player from a PS they have to give that team a 3rd or 4th round draft pick in the upcoming draft. No one can predict injuries but grabbing a player that;s being developed and is practicing every day with another team sucks, especially if there is no penalty.

So then a guy your team took in round 6 or 7 you get a 3rd or 4th round pick for? Not sure that makes a lot of sense.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The salary cap implications for signing a PS player away from another team are penalty enough. Those players don't deserve to have any further restrictions placed on their ability to take a better-paying job elsewhere.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The salary cap implications for signing a PS player away from another team are penalty enough. Those players don't deserve to have any further restrictions placed on their ability to take a better-paying job elsewhere.

Why should the team that drafted them or signed them and developed them up to the point where another team has a need, be penalized because the team that's signing them away couldn't develop a player themselves. That's what it really comes down to, the inability to develop a critical, usually a skill player to replace one of your own. That's why the practice squad should a part of an expanded roster.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should the team that drafted them or signed them and developed them up to the point where another team has a need, be penalized because the team that's signing them away couldn't develop a player themselves. That's what it really comes down to, the inability to develop a critical, usually a skill player to replace one of your own. That's why the practice squad should a part of an expanded roster.
That's why there's a 53 man roster as the Cardinals are demonstrating. I don't disagree with an option clause allowing the developing team to promote the player when another team swoops in. There would also need to be a clause that would keep a team from doing it to only force the hand of a competitor.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great now we want to franchise tag practice squad players. LOL

They are tradable because they are trying to work, to get a full time job. If this ever happened and I think its stupid the team should get no more in trade value then the round they drafted that player in.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with an option clause allowing the developing team to promote the player when another team swoops in. There would also need to be a clause that would keep a team from doing it to only force the hand of a competitor.
These things already exist

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're massively overselling the likelihood that PS players are ever developed into critical players on the active roster.

I'm sure expanded rosters will (or at least should) be a significant point of discussion in the next CBA negotiations.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're massively overselling the likelihood that PS players are ever developed into critical players on the active roster.

I don't have the stats, but I'm willing to bet that at least 60% of all practice squad players get called up for at least one or two games every season. Right now, the only teams that have not had a significant injury are the Rams, Saints and Chiefs. The clock is ticking and if they don't have replacements on the PS, it could be a real issue in six weeks.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One or two games as a fill-in is not a player that's been developed for a critical role.

If a player has a chance to earn at least three full game checks from another team right now, why should he be artificially restricted from doing so for the chance his current team might need him for a game or two later on?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One or two games as a fill-in is not a player that's been developed for a critical role.

If a player has a chance to earn at least three full game checks from another team right now, why should he be artificially restricted from doing so for the chance his current team might need him for a game or two later on?

I feel there should be some means to protect practice squad players, not automatic mid round picks is the answer. Maybe teams should be allowed to work trades, let the two teams set values.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Practice squad players do not need to go to the team that wants to take them. If the team that they currently "practice" for wants to keep them as a developmental player or as a back up to a loaded position in case of injury, the team can pay them accordingly in order to entice them to stay.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda gotten away from whether or not the Patriots should draft a QB and what round........
They did and he was taken in the 7th.

What about 2019? Is Etling a possible answer? Are there really any QBs that are decent who will be available at 32?

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what I saw in pre-season, right now I'm sticking with my assessment that Etling is more likely the answer to who replaces Hoyer than Brady (can never tell for sure until you see them in real game situations, though...Brady was behind Friesz and Bishop his rookie year, after all).

I think there will be some interesting prospects available in the late 1st. Though none with the ceiling of a Lamar Jackson.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda gotten away from whether or not the Patriots should draft a QB and what round........
They did and he was taken in the 7th.

What about 2019? Is Etling a possible answer? Are there really any QBs that are decent who will be available at 32?

if the Patriots were thinking Etling was the answer wouldn't they have put him in a game or two that Hoyer came into? I mean when Hoyer comes in the game is over anyway so why not bring in Etling if they truly want him?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the Patriots were thinking Etling was the answer wouldn't they have put him in a game or two that Hoyer came into? I mean when Hoyer comes in the game is over anyway so why not bring in Etling if they truly want him?
Etling is on the Practice Squad and they won't cut anyone to bring him up. He does get some reps during practice during the week. I heard that he spend a lot of time with Brady in the film room learning how Brady watches film and what he looks for. That could be as valuable as mop up time.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Etling is on the Practice Squad and they won't cut anyone to bring him up. He does get some reps during practice during the week. I heard that he spend a lot of time with Brady in the film room learning how Brady watches film and what he looks for. That could be as valuable as mop up time.

Thought he wasn't on practice squad. Clearly I was wrong so that makes sense as to why he wasn't playing... Have you heard anything that they think he is the future?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you heard anything that they think he is the future?
Tom E. Curran said Bradylikes the kid and has taken a lot of time with him. No media is allowed in the dome so no one really knows how much time they spend together. McDaniels has been working with him to upgrade his arm strength and he showed decent accuracy in the preseason. If he's a possible future starter, Hoyer will be gone next year and Etling will be holding the Microsoft Tablet on the side.