• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Patriots Draft a QB? What Round?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if he bombs the interviews. Otherwise somebody will pull the trigger on him in the 1st. I'll be back for my crow in April if I'm wrong.
Nahhh you likely won't get an I told you so from me. Just not sure right now, without Pro Days', without the combine, without the interviews he is round 1 talent. Generally speaking when you select a guy especially a QB in round 1 you don't wan't a project QB he is just that IMO a two or three year project.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. "Project" QB's get drafted in the first round all the time, though (Bortles, Mahomes, Lynch just some recent examples). Some GM will fall in love with the athletic ability and believe his coaching staff can correct his flaws. And the athletic ability is definitely 1st round even without the pre-draft stuff. I count 15 teams that could potentially be in the market to draft a QB in the 1st round this year (a little less than that once FA shakes out). I feel pretty good at this point one of them will take the swing on Jackson...IMO it's more likely at this point that a bad pre-draft process knocks him out of the 1st than a good one moves him into it.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New name has all of a sudden popped up.

Kurt Benkert QB Univ. of Virginia
6'4" 220 lbs.

Pro style pocket passer. Very accurate. Has a good arm. Has the ability to move around the
pocket and avoid hits. Is not a runner.

Played at East carolina, had a knee injury and moved to UV. Holds single game passing and offense record
from a game with UCONN in 2017.

Don't know much about him other than he's much better than advertised because his surrounding cast
sucked and did nothing to help him out. Everything says that he will be available in the 3rd round of the NFL draft.

Anybody know anything about this guy???

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

6'4" 220 lbs.

Pro style pocket passer. Very accurate. Has a good arm. Has the ability to move around the

Played at East carolina, had a knee injury and moved to UV. Holds single game passing and offense record

Don't know much about him other than he's much better than advertised because his surrounding cast
sucked and did nothing to help him out. Everything says that he will be available in the 3rd round of the NFL draft.

Sure don't but I will be looking into him now.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

6'4" 220 lbs.

One notable albeit correctable issue seems to throw off back foot.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My momma always said not to trust a man with two first names. I'll have to check what the rule for a guy with two first names in his last name is.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the draft guys from NFL.com has us taking Marshall QB Chase Litton in the 3rd round. Well, he’s tall.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just drove to the movie theatre. Went to see Death Wish......................

On the way, they were reporting live from the Combine and just going wild over Josh Allen. Seems he was repeatedly throwing 90 yard passes and throwing them at 70 mph.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On the way, they were reporting live from the Combine and just going wild over Josh Allen. Seems he was repeatedly throwing 90 yard passes and throwing them at 70 mph.
Damn that is finger breaking speed.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

QB's don't throw until tomorrow. That report came from Allen's camp. He does have a million dollar arm, though. Unfortunately it's connected to a 50 cent head.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was the back-up at Michigan and can we get him in the 6th round? O'Korn? 6'4" 211lb Irish - dead ringer.

Last edited:

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@BigKen just posted the Patriots talked with Kyle Lauletta. Watched his highlights and read up on him. Coach Belichick should love him. Lauletta played lacrosse. Even considered it over college football. His father was an all American as was his Grandfather. His father was a QB for Navy. His uncle played there too. He’s been compared to Jimmy Garoppolo. Played great at the Senior Bowl. And to top it all off, he’s damn good looking like Brady and Jimmy G! I can easily see him being a Patriot. Just wonder if they did choose him, which pick will it be?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@BigKen just posted the Patriots talked with Kyle Lauletta. Watched his highlights and read up on him. Coach Belichick should love him. Lauletta played lacrosse. Even considered it over college football. His father was an all American as was his Grandfather. His father was a QB for Navy. His uncle played there too. He’s been compared to Jimmy Garoppolo. Played great at the Senior Bowl. And to top it all off, he’s damn good looking like Brady and Jimmy G! I can easily see him being a Patriot. Just wonder if they did choose him, which pick will it be?

Both his father and grandfather played for navy when Belichick's father was on the Navy football staff. The family has stayed in contact with both senior and junior Belichick over the past 50 years. The buzz is, if Lauletta is available with #43, he will be that selection with the 49er pick.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both his father and grandfather played for navy when Belichick's father was on the Navy football staff. The family has stayed in contact with both senior and junior Belichick over the past 50 years. The buzz is, if Lauletta is available with #43, he will be that selection with the 49er pick.

At first glance I thought that using the early 2nd round pick on one of the quote unquote 2nd tier QB’s would be too high. But I’m impressed with Lauletta. And if the Patriots feel he could be Brady’s future replacement, then go for it! Couldn’t be worse than some of the other 2nd rounders we chosen lately.:noidea:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first glance I thought that using the early 2nd round pick on one of the quote unquote 2nd tier QB’s would be too high. But I’m impressed with Lauletta. And if the Patriots feel he could be Brady’s future replacement, then go for it! Couldn’t be worse than some of the other 2nd rounders we chosen lately.:noidea:
I mentioned this earlier. I really like the kid with all thevintangibles but 2nd unless a whole lot has changed is way too high IMO. He was predicted as a 4th or later. Which of course makes perfect sense for BB to take him early 2nd. Glad he's not a DB.

Maybe BB can trade down that #43 and get an additional pick or two + Lauletta later in the round? A lot will depend on how this years run at QB goes.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More from Paul Domowitch Arrow icon

INDIANAPOLIS – In an interview room that also included Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Baker Mayfield and the top-rated wide receiver in the draft, Alabama’s Calvin Ridley, Kyle Lauletta was drawing his fair share of media attention.

Nearly 20 reporters were wedged around a table interviewing the University of Richmond quarterback and Downingtown East product Friday at the NFL scouting combine.

All but two or three of the reporters were from media outlets in Boston where everyone seems convinced that Bill Belichick intends to draft Lauletta next month and make him the latest heir apparent to 41-year-old Tom Brady.

Of course, no one – and I mean no one – really knows who Belichick might have in mind as a replacement for Brady’s previous heir apparent, Jimmy Garoppolo, who was traded to the San Francisco 49ers last October.

But the draft still is nearly two months away and it would be poor form for reporters to admit that they don’t have the foggiest idea who their team is going to take. So, we try to connect the dots and/or make wild guesses.

The truth is, few people in Boston even knew who the hell Lauletta was before he outplayed Mayfield and one of the draft’s other top quarterbacks, Josh Allen, in the Senior Bowl in late January and was named the game’s most valuable player.

“He opened some eyes at the Senior Bowl,’’ NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. “He went from an afterthought to somebody that could legitimately be a third-round quarterback.’’

There are a bunch of reasons people think Lauletta could be the apple of Belichick’s eye. Some are pretty lame. Like the fact that he almost played lacrosse in college when no FBS schools saw fit to offer him a football scholarship. And Belichick, a former lacrosse player himself, loves the game.

Like the fact that Lauletta’s dad Joe played quarterback at the U.S. Naval Academy in the late ’80s when Belichick’s father Steve was on the coaching staff there.

But mostly, the Lauletta-to-the-Patriots rationale mainly has to do with the similarities between Lauletta and Garoppolo. Both hail from FCS schools (Garoppolo played at Eastern Illinois), both are about the same size – 6-3 and 220ish. Both are similar type quarterbacks. Neither has a big arm, but both are heady players with quick releases and excellent accuracy.

“Accuracy is something you can’t teach,’’ said Lauletta, who completed nearly 65 percent of his attempts last year at Richmond and was 8-for-12 for 198 yards and three touchdowns in the Senior Bowl.

“You either have it or you don’t. I’ve always had a good feel for where the receiver’s going to be. Not just putting it on the money, but anticipating those windows and throwing it before he breaks. I think that’s something that translates to the next level and is definitely going to help me.’’

Lauletta, who led Downingtown East to the Chest-Mont League National Division title his senior year, had just two FBS scholarship offers – from Toledo and Old Dominion. He ended up enrolling at Richmond, where he already has earned degrees in business and marketing and leadership studies.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well seeing as he is projected for rounds 5 thru 7 if we can land him there seems like it's worth a shot. His position rank from what I read is higher than Benkert, Lauletta being ranked at 9. If the Pats have shown interest in these guys it makes one think the Pats are targeting a QB in the later rounds.