• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Eagles trade for a tackle?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I normally agree with a lot of your input, but I don't think a season as promising as this is time for experimentation. If we could get Joe Staley for a flip of our 1st and their 2nd, and possibly giving up a later pick you have to do it. You have to give the team the best possible chance to win the SB. I think Joe Staley gives us a better chance than Big V. Let Big V win a starting spot next summer.

When teams panic on the trading block, bad things happen. Look at Minnesota with their trade for Bradford. They thought they were Super Bowl contenders and traded too much to get an average starting QB.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't consider trading for Staley, but I'm not giving up an arm and a leg to get him. Shoot, the guy is 33 years old. How many 33 year old players get traded for a king's ransom?

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too risky. This season goes south and we gave up 2nd round value, or even 1st round value, for nothing. And we don't learn more about Vaitai. We have to find out what he's capable of moving forward.

There's also a risk going with an unproven like Big V if the opportunity is there to get a proven commodity like Staley. There are no guarantees year to year ... you have to take the bull by the horns when you are having a good year and do what you have to do to get as far as you can. Obviously all this is "assuming" that a LT like Staley were available in trade ... which is obviously pure speculation. Look, I "hope" that Big V ends up being great for us and we don't miss a beat, but if Big V flops, we're all going to wonder what could have been this year.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy like Joe Staley is unrealistic as he is signed long term at a reasonable price. Can't see why the 49ers would be reasonable in pricing him.

What they are looking for is the over the hill guy with the bloated contract on a bad team. Those guys may be able to help the Eagles and the team that owns them would probably be thrilled to get about anything for them.

Alternatively, the Taylor Hart signing is somewhat interesting. They passed over their Practice Squad guy for a street guy and signed him directly to the roster. Seems strange that if they thought Hart was better than Gordon why wasn't he on the practice squad?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I normally agree with a lot of your input, but I don't think a season as promising as this is time for experimentation. If we could get Joe Staley for a flip of our 1st and their 2nd, and possibly giving up a later pick you have to do it. You have to give the team the best possible chance to win the SB. I think Joe Staley gives us a better chance than Big V. Let Big V win a starting spot next summer.

Big V isn't an experiment. He's a tackle and he's been practicing in this offense for two years. The front office identified him as a tackle in this league and drafted him. Plenty of tackles in this league come from all over the draftboard. We should see him now. Next man up. None of this begging for outside help stuff is good for the team and its culture.

You trade for Joe Staley today and you take away from the team tomorrow. I'm all for going for it this year and I've been saying that since the offseason but with Wentz here let's not hurt our chances to build around him with more young talent. This is no time to panic.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also a risk going with an unproven like Big V if the opportunity is there to get a proven commodity like Staley. There are no guarantees year to year ... you have to take the bull by the horns when you are having a good year and do what you have to do to get as far as you can. Obviously all this is "assuming" that a LT like Staley were available in trade ... which is obviously pure speculation. Look, I "hope" that Big V ends up being great for us and we don't miss a beat, but if Big V flops, we're all going to wonder what could have been this year.

If Vaitai flops that will be good to know. The Vikings were 7-0 at this point last year. It's a long year and forcing Staley on this team assures us nothing.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy like Joe Staley is unrealistic as he is signed long term at a reasonable price. Can't see why the 49ers would be reasonable in pricing him.

What they are looking for is the over the hill guy with the bloated contract on a bad team. Those guys may be able to help the Eagles and the team that owns them would probably be thrilled to get about anything for them.

Alternatively, the Taylor Hart signing is somewhat interesting. They passed over their Practice Squad guy for a street guy and signed him directly to the roster. Seems strange that if they thought Hart was better than Gordon why wasn't he on the practice squad?

They want to work with Gordon. He's a developmental guy. They weren't planning on using Hart in the future, but he knows the offense.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staley is more intriguing than Glenn. And it's clearly posturing by the Niners. But...still...I'm with others here. Spending thin capital to bring someone in mid season is dicey. Let's see what we got here and save what we have to build more around carson.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hart was not eligible to be on the practice squad, per Bleeding Green Nation.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Vaitai flops that will be good to know. The Vikings were 7-0 at this point last year. It's a long year and forcing Staley on this team assures us nothing.

I thought the Vikings only started out 5-0? Either way, they were winning early on tremendous D ... once that came down to earth they didn't have much help from the Offense. Matter of fact I think they (like us) had injuries on their OL and the backups who stepped in could not protect Bradford well enough ... thus they lost their mojo. hmmm

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If traded to us, Staley's Cap hit for 2018 and 2019 would only be around 5.5 mil per season as San Fran would have to eat the restructure money which is around 2.2 mil per season. For this season we would only be on the hook for his pro-rated Base (full year base is 8.25 mil). Those imo are not prohibitive #'s at all.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If traded to us, Staley's Cap hit for 2018 and 2019 would only be around 5.5 mil per season as San Fran would have to eat the restructure money which is around 2.2 mil per season. For this season we would only be on the hook for his pro-rated Base (full year base is 8.25 mil). Those imo are not prohibitive #'s at all.

Do it, Howie! We will still have a lot of cap room next year, even though we have to re-sign a few players. Peters certainly will not be back, and Big V is best served as a swing backup OT.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do it, Howie! We will still have a lot of cap room next year, even though we have to re-sign a few players. Peters certainly will not be back, and Big V is best served as a swing backup OT.

My only hope is that Howie and Crew do not agree with you on "a lot of cap room" for next year. We do not even know yet what the cap will be. Sure, it always grows. But a year is coming when that will not be so. There will be a lot of pieces to sort out there.

Admittedly, this is coming from an admitted fan of doing what it takes to have solid line play. It's essential. But so is having the right financial makeup to sustain a strong squad year in and year out and increase those chances of going all the way.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the Vikings only started out 5-0? Either way, they were winning early on tremendous D ... once that came down to earth they didn't have much help from the Offense. Matter of fact I think they (like us) had injuries on their OL and the backups who stepped in could not protect Bradford well enough ... thus they lost their mojo. hmmm

They added Jake Long. It didn't work.

Just because we are the best team right now is no reason to subtract from the 2018, 2019, and 2020 Eagles' teams.

CSB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They added Jake Long. It didn't work.

Just because we are the best team right now is no reason to subtract from the 2018, 2019, and 2020 Eagles' teams.

I tend to agree with this line of thinking. An short-term fix (that may or may not work out better than what we've got) at the expense of future seasons seems panic-y. That said, let's see how it goes this week...

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with this line of thinking. An short-term fix (that may or may not work out better than what we've got) at the expense of future seasons seems panic-y. That said, let's see how it goes this week...

Agree with this fully and completely!

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the consensus among reporters seems to be that they are going to leave Lane Johnson at RT. He really hasn't looked as good on the left side, and moving him would weaken two tackle positions.

And with this being the case.... he has been grossly overpaid for many years... being paid like a top LT, while playing RT. I'm not saying he is bad or get rid of the guy or anything like that - but this reminds me of the days of Banner - paying a guy BEFORE he has actually done the work. I've said all along, I'm not sure they will move him, but it was hard to argue with them paying like a LT.

I agree, it's likely best to leave Lane at RT and find another LT - and help him out with a blocking TE.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How is getting a very good LT who you would have locked up at a "very" reasonable price for the following 2 seasons doing anything bad for the future? There is a possibility that Jason Peters may never play another down in the NFL (tore "both" ACL and MCL) and his cap hit for the 2018 season was scheduled to be 11.6 mil at age 36. Staley is 2 years younger and is similar to Peters in that he hasn't shown much sign of decline while costing half as much as Peters for the next 2 seasons if acquired via trade. Now, if Staley's contract ran out at the end of the season I would agree it's a short term fix, but getting a proven LT like Staley at under 6 mil for two more seasons imo would be blessing, not a short term fix.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is getting a very good LT who you would have locked up at a "very" reasonable price for the following 2 seasons doing anything bad for the future? There is a possibility that Jason Peters may never play another down in the NFL (tore "both" ACL and MCL) and his cap hit for the 2018 season was scheduled to be 11.6 mil at age 36. Staley is 2 years younger and is similar to Peters in that he hasn't shown much sign of decline while costing half as much as Peters for the next 2 seasons if acquired via trade. Now, if Staley's contract ran out at the end of the season I would agree it's a short term fix, but getting a proven LT like Staley at under 6 mil for two more seasons imo would be blessing, not a short term fix.

All good points. Staley is an attractive option. But what will it cost to get the privilege to pay this good price for a solid option for two years?

I just want to keep that #1 next year, no matter how late in the round it is. Not keen on giving that up with no second or third to speak of. And I just don't buy the Niners swapping first for second. There is no value there.

Ultimately I feel resistant to treating this as THE season yet. No matter how well they have done. I think we already have mortgaged enough of the short term futures growth capital before we got to this debate.

I don't want to give as promising a piece as Wentz 1-2 seasons to go big, only to have it turn into Cam with the Panthers, or Stafford with Lions (can't get good pieces around star QB). I want to give him a decade of chances to break through.