• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Eagles trade for a tackle?

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We play the Niners this week, so maybe that facilitates talks for LT Joe Staley? At 33 years old (still solid though) with the Niners win-less and likely in total rebuild mode, it makes a lot of sense for both sides to possibly work up a deal. Maybe a flip of our 1st rounder for their 2nd rounder? We will likely be picking late in Rd 1 and they will likely have one of the first few picks in Rd 2 ... so you are probably looking at an 8-10 slot difference.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would absolutely consider trading our 1st rounder in 2018 for LT Cordy Glenn if we can fit him cap-wise. 7 years younger than Jason Peters and we can save money by cutting Peters after the season; even better yet if he just retires. Peters has been a stud/warrior for us and I hate to see him go out via injury, but at his age and not being able to work out for a while ... he can easily balloon by the time he's able to start rehabbing.

Peters did not ballon when he twice ruptured his Achilles tendon. So why would he now?

And over on BGN they have the options listed. Basically Glenn (and also Staley) are ruled out because of their cap hit (this season, but especially thereafter). The Eagles cannot afford them without not resigning important pieces of the team - think Bradham, Jeffery), or cutting them (like Peters).

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think giving Big V an honest crack at LT is the best option. I believe he's going to do an ok job.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glen sounds like an interesting LT.. He would be a guy that we lock up long term of course. Buffalo probably would want our 1st rounder, which more than likely would fall in the very late 1st round? Peters probably is going to hang it up after this. I would almost be tempted to to see what the Bills would want for Glen? LT are tough to come by, at least good ones. Howie is a master at getting picks elsewhere? I'm not even worried about that. Protecting Wentz is my priority.

Totally agree with priority. But, then, Wentz didn't get killed in the second half last night.
I'm just not keen on out
I really think giving Big V an honest crack at LT is the best option. I believe he's going to do an ok job.

This! There is just not much room to wiggle at mid season when tight on cap and picks.

If this is truly that year for a deep run (or more) then Big V will do just fine.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we signed Taylor Hart.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, just great! He is a novice at OT, converted from DE. OJT is not what we should do in mid-season. It may work out, but I would agree with Rey on Glenn, if we want to have some stability at the position. Big V will not be able to handle the best pass rushers we will face later, and then into the playoffs. Not if we want to go to the SB.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a big body. You hate to see them resign a guy they cut a few weeks back. But, he seems a preseason cut that rated pretty well and didn't bring other issues. Big V is going into LT and this is depth.

Trading for someone like Glenn at this point in the season, and with the assets we have, is well outside the realm of reality.

Now....what they do about the open LB roster spot.....

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found this an interesting read.

Look...there is no realistic option that will come close to Peters. We have a loss at this position. But Big V did not do that badly. From my view he held stand up blocks well. He could use work on chop blocks and definitely on screen coverage. But scheme can work on that. More quick passes like we did the other night.

A team with a really good secondary and a great line (like Seattle) is going to give us issues. But that was going to be the case with Peters there anyway.

Eagles Film Breakdown: Halapoulivaati Vaitai's Pass Protection

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glen sounds like an interesting LT.. He would be a guy that we lock up long term of course. Buffalo probably would want our 1st rounder, which more than likely would fall in the very late 1st round? Peters probably is going to hang it up after this. I would almost be tempted to to see what the Bills would want for Glen? LT are tough to come by, at least good ones. Howie is a master at getting picks elsewhere? I'm not even worried about that. Protecting Wentz is my priority.

Glenn is not worth a fourth rounder. He's an average left tackle at best.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have done pretty good with evaluating players. I am going to just sit back and believe they know what they are doing. :D

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glenn has a sizable contract, so if he is really nothing but average, we should not deal for him. We would have to pay him an average of $10 million a year for several years, according to a Buffalo article I read. That's only part of his contract. Some of it would be assumed by Buffalo in a trade.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glenn has a sizable contract, so if he is really nothing but average, we should not deal for him. We would have to pay him an average of $10 million a year for several years, according to a Buffalo article I read. That's only part of his contract. Some of it would be assumed by Buffalo in a trade.

That says it there. We can debate how good he is (for draft/player compensation) but the cap numbers are stark. Trading teams rarely take too much of that in the NFL (especially buffalo who are rebuilding and need to be cap conscious. Read: Tyrod Taylor cap reduction last year).

We can't take such a cap hit with the pieces we will need to resign.
Also...while some players come over and the talent transcends, some don't. Think "Dream Team"

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We play the Niners this week, so maybe that facilitates talks for LT Joe Staley? At 33 years old (still solid though) with the Niners win-less and likely in total rebuild mode, it makes a lot of sense for both sides to possibly work up a deal. Maybe a flip of our 1st rounder for their 2nd rounder? We will likely be picking late in Rd 1 and they will likely have one of the first few picks in Rd 2 ... so you are probably looking at an 8-10 slot difference.

Too risky. This season goes south and we gave up 2nd round value, or even 1st round value, for nothing. And we don't learn more about Vaitai. We have to find out what he's capable of moving forward.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too risky. This season goes south and we gave up 2nd round value, or even 1st round value, for nothing. And we don't learn more about Vaitai. We have to find out what he's capable of moving forward.
I normally agree with a lot of your input, but I don't think a season as promising as this is time for experimentation. If we could get Joe Staley for a flip of our 1st and their 2nd, and possibly giving up a later pick you have to do it. You have to give the team the best possible chance to win the SB. I think Joe Staley gives us a better chance than Big V. Let Big V win a starting spot next summer.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Staley were to work out and we win the SB, most likely we would move back 1 spot, and give up a 4th. Well worth the price in my opinion. I think it may take a little more, maybe a 4th next year?

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know if a OT from another team can assimilate and process the different blocking schemes in midseason. It's more risky to trade for a name guy than let Big V, who's had a year and a half in the offense, take over.