• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should redshirt players be allowed to play up to 4 games?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel too bad for kids who can get a college education and not walk out with $100k in student loan debts and the opportunity to possibly walk out with a job paying him millions of dollars in the NFL.
My response to any player who complains about not being paid while they were playing, or are playing, CFB is -- "would you like to pay my wife's student loan payment this month?". Getting out of college without a scrap of debt is one of the biggest advantages someone can have in today's economy. A college degree in anything with no debt is golden. You could literally make $40-$50,000/year and be perfectly good the rest of your life.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel too bad for kids who can get a college education and not walk out with $100k in student loan debts and the opportunity to possibly walk out with a job paying him millions of dollars in the NFL.
Not gonna lie, even if you have 0 money from mom and dad, it doesn't take much to walk away with FAR less than $100k in student loan debt.

Besides, $100k is breakfast for most FBS head coaches. They should be equipped to handle having a kid leave.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna lie, even if you have 0 money from mom and dad, it doesn't take much to walk away with FAR less than $100k in student loan debt.

Besides, $100k is breakfast for most FBS head coaches. They should be equipped to handle having a kid leave.
You could easily just say that those kids can just live off of ramen noodles and peanut butter, they need to have such great food to eat. They don't need to have top of the line trainers and doctors for when they are hurt. But more times than not they are getting the tops of everything the school can get. They are making well over 40-50k a year with all the benefits. Every corporation in the world works that way, why should college be any different?

You are thinking of the major programs. What about the smaller schools who would start having their top players poached because there is no penalty and they aren't paying $6 million to the head coach.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could easily just say that those kids can just live off of ramen noodles and peanut butter, they need to have such great food to eat. They don't need to have top of the line trainers and doctors for when they are hurt. But more times than not they are getting the tops of everything the school can get. They are making well over 40-50k a year with all the benefits. Every corporation in the world works that way, why should college be any different?

You are thinking of the major programs. What about the smaller schools who would start having their top players poached because there is no penalty and they aren't paying $6 million to the head coach.
Name a corporation that requires you to sit out a year if you leave your old job to take a job with them.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name a corporation that requires you to sit out a year if you leave your old job to take a job with them.
Ever hear of non-compete clauses?

But I was mainly talking about the higher ups make more than the workers who do all the work.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever hear of non-compete clauses?

But I was mainly talking about the higher ups make more than the workers who do all the work.
Fair point, but I don't think those two situations are apples to apples. If you want to tie that in with the argument that you have to transfer out of conference, I would agree.

Higher ups always make more money, but I'm not seeing how that pertains to this convo?

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is one situation that makes having one 'free pass' when transferring a great idea. Every year, it always looks like coaches won't have enough scholarships, but then somehow some athletes magically 'volunteer' to transfer out. Probably not a bad idea to not penalize these kids for getting the 'boot' from certain programs.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair point, but I don't think those two situations are apples to apples. If you want to tie that in with the argument that you have to transfer out of conference, I would agree.

Higher ups always make more money, but I'm not seeing how that pertains to this convo?
You were complaining saying the schools are making too much money and that is why you don't feel bad for players jumping ship every year because they aren't jumping ship all the time.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The last time I signed a non-compete contract it was for 3 years.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were complaining saying the schools are making too much money and that is why you don't feel bad for players jumping ship every year because they aren't jumping ship all the time.
I never once complained about schools making too much money. I couldn't care less if they're making $1 trillion a year from college football revenue. I said I don't feel bad for them having to deal with players coming and going because of that.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's absurd. What industry?

I'm a programmer. I could take other programming jobs, but not jobs within the auto industry.

Basically, they didn't want me taking the software I create and giving it to someone else etc, or making the same thing for myself.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's absurd. What industry?
My brother's sister in law had a two year non-complete clause and couldn't work within 150 miles within of one their offices, but the group had 6 offices all over the state and she had to move to southern Indiana to escape the range. She is a veterinarian.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a programmer. I could take other programming jobs, but not jobs within the auto industry.

Basically, they didn't want me taking the software I create and giving it to someone else etc, or making the same thing for myself.
Okay, so there was intellectual property involved. That makes sense.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brother's sister in law had a two year non-complete clause and couldn't work within 150 miles within of one their offices, but the group had 6 offices all over the state and she had to move to southern Indiana to escape the range. She is a veterinarian.
What's the basis for needing a non-compete as a vet? I've never heard of that sort of thing.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the basis for needing a non-compete as a vet? I've never heard of that sort of thing.

Maybe they trained you in a certain area and now don't want you out there competing against them. What's even worse is that you can be fired and the non-compete contract still holds up.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No clue on that. I know she had some sort of specialization but again, it's my brother's sister in law. I have never had much of a conversation with her outside of when my brother got married.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why not just let enrolled kids play....

If tom brady wanted to get his PhD, he should play at Michigan for 12 years
Because there would be massive problems with that?