• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should redshirt players be allowed to play up to 4 games?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban backs proposed redshirt rule tweak

Count Alabama coach Nick Saban as one of the supporters of a proposed rule that would give players and coaches more freedom when it comes to using redshirts.

The American Football Coaches Association is sending a proposal to the NCAA that would allow players to play in up to four games in a season without losing their redshirt status for that year. Saban said on Monday that he "absolutely would be in favor" of such a rule.

"It would actually enhance their development to some degree," Saban said during the SEC coaches' postspring teleconference. "With the numbers that we have right now and the number of games that we're playing, you might be able to play a few more players in some of those games, and that would help some of the other players on your team, as well.

"The number one thing, it would tremendously help the development of some young players on your team to be able to look forward to being able to play in some guys but not lose the year."

Saban added that it would almost allow coaches to try players out at midseason, eliminating the punishment of a player losing an entire year of eligibility because a coach rushed him onto the field too fast.

Go to article to read more

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm for just making kids eligible for 5 years. Gets rid of this nonsense.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I agree fully, but I definitely think they should do away with the idiotic transfer rule and just let kids be eligible immediately. What a moronic rule.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I agree fully, but I definitely think they should do away with the idiotic transfer rule and just let kids be eligible immediately. What a moronic rule.
I think it should be leave the conference, eligible right away, but only once.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it should be leave the conference, eligible right away, but only once.
I think they should be allowed to transfer as many times as they want. Who the fuck cares?

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rules should be more lax for sure. As of now one play will burn a redshirt without some sort of exception no? Seems like common sense but four games might be a bit much.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is fair for a kid to lose an entire year of eligibility because it is the last game of the season and someone gets hurt so they must burn their redshirt. Four games is probably too much, but sitting out so you have an extra year and burning your resdhirt for the team is a crap move by the NCAA.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no source on this but my dad use to tell me the rule was you can play 2 games but they must be no more than 1 quarter and non-conference games.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should be allowed to transfer as many times as they want. Who the fuck cares?
They can transfer but on the second transfer they lose a year of eligibility. It keeps players from jumping from team to team to team and coaches from trying to snake a player who has shown they are squirrelly.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be in favor of allowing 2 full games of play without losing red-shirt status. With the idea that it would be the last regular season game and the bowl game.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can transfer but on the second transfer they lose a year of eligibility. It keeps players from jumping from team to team to team and coaches from trying to snake a player who has shown they are squirrelly.
But why should that matter? I mean, they're still kids. I'm cool with a date being put in place where a kid has to transfer by then to avoid losing a year, but making them miss a year regardless is just stupid.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with this 100%. You should be able to transfer out of a bad situation w/out losing an entire season.. but I don't want to see it where kids can jump ship over and over and over again.

As for redshirts being able to play... not sure how I feel about that. What's the point of redshirting if kids are going to play up to 4 games? Might as well just give them 5 years of eligibility like someone else suggested.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But why should that matter? I mean, they're still kids. I'm cool with a date being put in place where a kid has to transfer by then to avoid losing a year, but making them miss a year regardless is just stupid.
But it is not just them being effected. The team is also being effected. They get one free pass then there is consequences to your choices.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it is not just them being effected. The team is also being effected. They get one free pass then there is consequences to your choices.
Fair enough. I see where you're coming from.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I see where you're coming from.
I get that there are bad situations (see PSU with the Sandusky situation or Baylor), coaches lie about playing time, coordinators leave (so schemes change), coaches get fired; none of these are the fault of the player and he gets a mulligan. But people will abuse it if they are allowed to jump from team to team.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that there are bad situations (see PSU with the Sandusky situation or Baylor), coaches lie about playing time, coordinators leave (so schemes change), coaches get fired; none of these are the fault of the player and he gets a mulligan. But people will abuse it if they are allowed to jump from team to team.
I can agree with you to a point. I'm just thinking about those sort of situations. Even in the event of a transfer, these things can pop up. I think if it's a playing time thing, too bad. Earn your keep. Gunnar Kiel is a good example of this. However, if a kid transfers somewhere and suddenly there's a massive coaching change, they should be able to transfer again. I guess in the grand scheme of things, I don't feel bad for teams when they're making the money they are off these kids.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would sure help some coaches figure out which guys are eligible to receive a medical scholarship right away, fuck off

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm for just making kids eligible for 5 years. Gets rid of this nonsense.

This is the correct answer in my opinion.
Do away with the complex rules.
It automatically gives a program more scholarship players available.
And lets you develop talent that isn't necessarily going to the NFL allow to contribute for 5 years.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with you to a point. I'm just thinking about those sort of situations. Even in the event of a transfer, these things can pop up. I think if it's a playing time thing, too bad. Earn your keep. Gunnar Kiel is a good example of this. However, if a kid transfers somewhere and suddenly there's a massive coaching change, they should be able to transfer again. I guess in the grand scheme of things, I don't feel bad for teams when they're making the money they are off these kids.
I don't feel too bad for kids who can get a college education and not walk out with $100k in student loan debts and the opportunity to possibly walk out with a job paying him millions of dollars in the NFL.