• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Murray (OU QB) Play Baseball?

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a junior now, well 3 yrs removed from high school. He'll probably never get drafted this high again, so he has to either pick football or baseball now. Yes he could try football, and fall back on baseball but he'd probably lose a lot of money doing so.

Oh, I know. Now some have written that Oakland is gonna let him
play CFB this year, so that gives him a chance to gauge himself.
However, that will end his college baseball career.

Baseball is a difficult sport to play. Especially from a mental standpoint. You'll be away from your house for 6 months of the
year. (Not in a row, but a total of 6 months...adding away games
and spring training) That travel is tough on you.

The signing bonus is nice, especially at a young age, but you
can't retire on that bonus. You'll need an education for the rest
of your life. If he goes on to star in MLB for 15 years, that will take
care of him, but that is not a guarantee.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bleacher report is full of shit. He’s not going to be a top 10 or even top 20 pick. Top 40 is as high as I’ve seen any draft experts project him and there’s only been one or so. Also, he has to make this decision solely on the draft signing bonus and not on major league earnings because statistically it’s unlikely that he’ll ever see the majors. He could end up an all star, but imo it’s more likely that he ends up as a fourth outfielder in the major leagues if he ever makes it at all.
The MLB draft is the worst possible sport to pick for this kind of bet.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 words... Jacoby Ellsbury

Dude has a career line of .284/.342/.417/.760 and a 103 OPS+ and when his contract runs out at the end of the 2021 season, he'll stand to make 169 Million in his career.

I'm not even sure it's possible to make that much in the NFL these days. I think Kirk Cousins will have made a little over 130 Million by the time his fully guaranteed contract runs out after the 2020 season. At least he's at worst a top 15 player at his position. Ellsbury wouldn't even be seeing the field even if healthy.

So many things wrong with this post starting with the the statistical probability of him ever making the show is low to begin with, let alone having enough staying power to garner a big major league contract.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I know. Now some have written that Oakland is gonna let him
play CFB this year, so that gives him a chance to gauge himself.
However, that will end his college baseball career.

Baseball is a difficult sport to play. Especially from a mental standpoint. You'll be away from your house for 6 months of the
year. (Not in a row, but a total of 6 months...adding away games
and spring training) That travel is tough on you.

The signing bonus is nice, especially at a young age, but you
can't retire on that bonus. You'll need an education for the rest
of your life. If he goes on to star in MLB for 15 years, that will take
care of him, but that is not a guarantee.

5mil is a nice start towards his retirement, and is 5mil more than he'll make playing college football (insert bag man joke here). If he's done what he's supposed to in the classroom, he's only about a year away from graduating so he can still get his education. Baseball is a tough sport, but it's a sport that pays their players way better than football, and he's already off to a good start being a top 10 overall pick.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many things wrong with this post starting with the the statistical probability of him ever making the show is low to begin with, let alone having enough staying power to garner a big major league contract.

And what the hell are the odds of him becoming a top 15 QB in the NFL?? There is nothing wrong with my point. You can be mediocre and make a shit ton more in MLB, than you can being mediocre in the NFL. If you assume he'll be elite at both, more $$ in MLB. If he's average in both more $$ in MLB. If he's an absolute bust, more $$ in MLB.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what the hell are the odds of him becoming a top 15 QB in the NFL?? There is nothing wrong with my point. You can be mediocre and make a shit ton more in MLB, than you can being mediocre in the NFL. If you assume he'll be elite at both, more $$ in MLB. If he's average in both more $$ in MLB. If he's an absolute bust, more $$ in MLB.

I’m not saying baseball isn’t the better career path for him. I’m just saying basing that decision off what MLB players make is not the way to go. You base off your signing bonus/rookie contracts.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be the highest payed player in college football slightly edging out Bama players.:D He will make more than Lincoln Riley.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be the highest payed player in college football slightly edging out Bama players.:D He will make more than Lincoln Riley.

If they pay him the full bonus, they might take some of that money away if he decides to skip rookie ball and play football instead.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not saying baseball isn’t the better career path for him. I’m just saying basing that decision off what MLB players make is not the way to go. You base off your signing bonus/rookie contracts.

I was just pointing out that you don't even have to be great to make a shit ton of money. Essentially have one good season, like Ellsbury and you're good to go. Unless he's a sure fire 1st rounder it doesn't make sense to play football to maximize earning potential.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you want to have memory loss and shot knees in your mid 30’s?

Baseball is always the answer.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's kind of simple. You take the money now. He is unlikely to improve his baseball draft position. You bank the 5 million and play baseball. If it doesn't work out go back to school and start life with some cash in the bank account. Football is great and all that, but he hit the lottery ticket. There is no need to do anything to risk that

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His best bet is sign the baseball contract, play this year for Oklahoma and get a large insurance policy.

What are you going to get the insurance policy on? Career ending injury? Those are actually very rare. The worry is he blows out a knee and is never quite the same. They don't have insurance policies for used to be in the 1% of the population fast and now is just fast.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kind of simple. You take the money now. He is unlikely to improve his baseball draft position. You bank the 5 million and play baseball. If it doesn't work out go back to school and start life with some cash in the bank account. Football is great and all that, but he hit the lottery ticket. There is no need to do anything to risk that

What are you going to get the insurance policy on? Career ending injury? Those are actually very rare. The worry is he blows out a knee and is never quite the same. They don't have insurance policies for used to be in the 1% of the population fast and now is just fast.

Well he’s signing and taking the bonus and playing football this fall. So there it is.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he’s signing and taking the bonus and playing football this fall. So there it is.

We just don't know if there are stipulations to that. It's way too early for the details to come out. Things may change when Kyler sees the contract. I doubt the A's just hand him 5 million and do nothing to protect their investment.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just don't know if there are stipulations to that. It's way too early for the details to come out. Things may change when Kyler sees the contract. I doubt the A's just hand him 5 million and do nothing to protect their investment.

Scott Boras is his agent and it was addressed beforehand. Basically told teams don’t draft me unless you’re planning to let me play one season of college football. It’s a done deal. He’s playing.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Boras is his agent and it was addressed beforehand. Basically told teams don’t draft me unless you’re planning to let me play one season of college football. It’s a done deal. He’s playing.

You can do that and still protect yourself. You can escrow money. You can put conditions on it. What if they say you get the 5 million after the season when you pass a physical. It's a big investment. I doubt it will be a risk-free decision. A's would be stupid to allow that, but we shall see

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can do that and still protect yourself. You can escrow money. You can put conditions on it. What if they say you get the 5 million after the season when you pass a physical. It's a big investment. I doubt it will be a risk-free decision. A's would be stupid to allow that, but we shall see

All I know is it’s been worked out and he’s playing this fall.