• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Short yardage question

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a copycat league and a league where every inch counts, why do teams, ours inparticular, decide to go 3-5 feet (36”-60”) backwards before going forwards? They even have a saying for how stupid that is.

And seriously, do they even watch a New England game?

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a copycat league and a league where every inch counts, why do teams, ours inparticular, decide to go 3-5 feet (36”-60”) backwards before going forwards? They even have a saying for how stupid that is.

So your saying the play calling sucks?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your saying the play calling sucks?

We got a 240lb RB. 3rd and 1 should not be a toss sweep or any kind of counter. We need to get the o-line legit healthy and learn how to power run.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Jacoby said all the blocks were there except for Niles Paul, he was supposed to block the guy that made the tackle. I thought the center but Jake said I was wrong. One missed block = a bad play at times.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you! Yes we should'e sneaked and should do that more often.

It also always amazes me how little other teams seem to pick up on what NE does. Like news flash guys Bellicheck is light years ahead of you all you might wanna try and catch on.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a sneak would have been a good move

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got a 240lb RB. 3rd and 1 should not be a toss sweep or any kind of counter. We need to get the o-line legit healthy and learn how to power run.
Ok, so play calling does suck. I would agree with this logic.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
guys overall our play calling has been pretty good execution however is wanting . on the 3rd down play paul missed a block . it doesnt mean the call sucked

here is an experiment , go back to our beginning days on SportsHoopla , and look at every game thread and post game reaction

i bet playing calling is mentrioned 10000 times

good teams dont slip on pass routes for open TDs they dont miss key blocks in key situations , they dont miss open wrs often , they dont let RBs juggled a ball into the end zone and miss a key tackle

yes some play calls are BS but the majority of the time the call is usually right

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
guys overall our play calling has been pretty good execution however is wanting . on the 3rd down play paul missed a block . it doesnt mean the call sucked

here is an experiment , go back to our beginning days on SportsHoopla , and look at every game thread and post game reaction

good teams dont slip on pass routes for open TDs they dont miss key blocks in key situations , they dont miss open wrs often , they dont let RBs juggled a ball into the end zone and miss a key tackle

yes some play calls are BS but the majority of the time the call is usually right

When you have inches to go, any call that involves moving more than a foot is questionable IMO, let alone two yards of QB going backward, followed by the running back bouncing three to five yards outside, followed by the back moving forward five yards.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have inches to go, any call that involves moving more than a foot is questionable IMO, let alone two yards of QB going backward, followed by the running back bouncing three to five yards outside, followed by the back moving forward five yards.
paul missed the block , execution

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem is that someone always seems to miss a block, or throw a bad pass, or drop an on target pass, pick the wrong hole to run through, run the route a half-yard short, gets manhandled, or beat off the ball like a drum, waste a time out, throws to the wrong man, slips n fall while cutting, acts like this week's last 2 minutes of the 1st half or the last 2 minutes of the game drill has never happened to us before and is caught completely unprepared. Or a half-dozen other things that too often happens in situations that always seem to cost us points or have us giving points up.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
paul missed the block , execution

When you have six inches to go, realistically there are only two assignments that matter...QB and C.

When you run it outside with six inches to go, everybody comes into play. So the play call has a much smaller room for error.

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some key points here on the short yardage failure during Sunday's game with the Saints. We lack a strong power running game especially on short yardage situations. Next the Saints if I recall had no time outs left. Our def is helpless against Brees. They allowed Brees to drive 90 to 80 yds in what 3 or 4 plays, seem like 2 to me LOL. Our D certainly should get the blame but the coach gets most the blame here b/c he made the call on 3rd and one. You should know if you line up in a very tight run formation, the Saints will have all 11 men in the box. They will be in sell out mode to stop the run. Hell they just said screw defending the pass. A boot leg to run or pass would have been my call. Beside this is a play we seem to run well and the wr on the opposite side would have been open or KC would have slid for the first down. Now I know there's alot of if's and but's however this would have been my call.

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that someone always seems to miss a block, or throw a bad pass, or drop an on target pass, pick the wrong hole to run through, run the route a half-yard short, gets manhandled, or beat off the ball like a drum, waste a time out, throws to the wrong man, slips n fall while cutting, acts like this week's last 2 minutes of the 1st half or the last 2 minutes of the game drill has never happened to us before and is caught completely unprepared. Or a half-dozen other things that too often happens in situations that always seem to cost us points or have us giving points up.

Bad teams consistently have these misfortunes. If they can't find away to lose their bad luck behavior always prevails.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad teams consistently have these misfortunes. If they can't find away to lose their bad luck behavior always prevails.

Exactly! This is not a team that's able to overcome mistakes, in fact they kill them. It's no accidental twist of fate that we have no run game for example. This team is stocked full of average players who unfortunately, aren't consistently efficient at run blocking as they are in pass blocking. The same can be said at almost every position, and to some that would be a compliment.

I hope that Bruce Allen is having an out of body experience that gives him the inner evaluative eye of a Jedi. It's taken a lot of work to get this team to its current position.....competitive. The next step will be much more difficult than that and will require that he and his team make very difficult decisions regarding upgrades to next level players.

Good luck being the opposite of the bad luck that you've referenced, will only happen when preparation meets opportunity and that will only happen when our average players compliment our great ones.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly! This is not a team that's able to overcome mistakes, in fact they kill them. It's no accidental twist of fate that we have no run game for example. This team is stocked full of average players who unfortunately, aren't consistently efficient at run blocking as they are in pass blocking. The same can be said at almost every position, and to some that would be a compliment.

I hope that Bruce Allen is having an out of body experience that gives him the inner evaluative eye of a Jedi. It's taken a lot of work to get this team to its current position.....competitive. The next step will be much more difficult than that and will require that he and his team make very difficult decisions regarding upgrades to next level players.

Good luck being the opposite of the bad luck that you've referenced, will only happen when preparation meets opportunity and that will only happen when our average players compliment our great ones.

Very hard to tell if they do need help in run blocking. When healthy they did pretty good in the Rams & Saints game. I would say that sure you could replace say Lauvao, but I would not go too crazy & mess with the rest of the O line. Remember an O line is more than a collection of parts - it is a unit & this unit does pretty well when healthy.

IMO the bigger problem is at the skill positions. They have been pretty bare a RB for the last few years. It started with M. Jones being ineffective & Kelley is decent but not really a starting NFL RB. Probably ditto for Perine (we will see). They need a top tier RB & should be able to be found in the upcoming draft. As for WR - IMO they actually have a fair amount of talent in that area if they can just dump Pryor & find a top tier WR either in FA or the draft. TE will be a question mark due to the age of Davis & the constant injury concerns for Reed (if Reed was healthy I truly believe that they win another game or two). QB- well - IMO they need to stay the course in spite of the rants of some fans (which I heard again while in NO & I truly believe that some fans are clueless).

Well - will make for an interesting offseason.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure about some of the other games, but I was at the Saints game & I can understand these issues happening in that environment. I don't think that some people truly understand how loud it gets there & how much of a distraction that can be - especially when you are dealing with injuries & new players how have a hard enough time in their new role. Again - not an excuse just trying to explain things from my perspective.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very hard to tell if they do need help in run blocking. When healthy they did pretty good in the Rams & Saints game. I would say that sure you could replace say Lauvao, but I would not go too crazy & mess with the rest of the O line. Remember an O line is more than a collection of parts - it is a unit & this unit does pretty well when healthy.

IMO the bigger problem is at the skill positions. They have been pretty bare a RB for the last few years. It started with M. Jones being ineffective & Kelley is decent but not really a starting NFL RB. Probably ditto for Perine (we will see). They need a top tier RB & should be able to be found in the upcoming draft. As for WR - IMO they actually have a fair amount of talent in that area if they can just dump Pryor & find a top tier WR either in FA or the draft. TE will be a question mark due to the age of Davis & the constant injury concerns for Reed (if Reed was healthy I truly believe that they win another game or two). QB- well - IMO they need to stay the course in spite of the rants of some fans (which I heard again while in NO & I truly believe that some fans are clueless).

Well - will make for an interesting offseason.

Well IMHO, I believe that it's about talent on the Offensive front, we have two excellent ones in TW and BS, but I believe that we need a 3rd. Right now we are out of balance in this regard. 3 average and two top tier means that to me. Give me 3 (or 5) top tier guys and 2 average ones and the mistakes go down significantly.

To be sure we need a NFL starting caliber RB, no argument there, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't upgrade along the line even if we get the next coming at the position. I like our wide outs as well although I'm not convinced that they won't stick with Pryor for another year. (Call it the "I'm always right, never wrong"__Bruce Allen move). I want to see more of Sprinkle before declaring TE to be a top need but yeah if they are both to be moved on from, we'll need another one....two...depending upon what Sprinkle gives us. We can win a SB with Kirk, however he can't get us there. For that to happen (with him) we'll need big improvements elsewhere. I don't think that there's anything that our FO is willing to do to keep Cousins on board. That would require both a change of mind and a contract offer that causes Kirk to rip his zipper. I just can't see both of those things happening and resigned myself toward his not being here dating back to the 2015 season. Yep, we got 2 more years beyond that but nowhere close to settling the issue. Beyond that, it's time to move on from Colt McCoy, so we'll still need to draft or acquire a QB. Maybe we can get one of the young guns everyone is talking about, and take a season or two to properly groom him. As you've said.......We'll see!! BTW: I hope that they stay far, far, away from Baker Mayfield!!

Last edited: